Lionel Messi - v7

Andresito

Staff member
I see our official social media accounts are still using Messi's name as if he's a Barca player.

"...Emerson, Aguero and Messi in tonight's Copa final"

Andresito

Staff member
Guys, realistically, what are Argentina's chance tonight: give it to me straight, no sugarcoating. I saw some pretty depressing stats about Brazil never losing a Copa final. Damn. Will there be fans at the Maracana tonight?

Brazil are big favourites on paper. I mean look at how many of Brazil's bench players would grab a starting spot at Argentina. What Argentina have though is a great collective.

I think this final is somewhere inbetween France-Croatia final and City-Chelsea. Not as one sided as the WC 2018 final but not as even as City-Chelsea, and City were big favourites there. On paper of course.

The difference in quality is evident but Argentina definitely feel confident, and they rightly should.

kobby

Brazil are big favourites on paper. I mean look at how many of Brazil's bench players would grab a starting spot at Argentina. What Argentina have though is a great collective.

I think this final is somewhere inbetween France-Croatia final and City-Chelsea. Not as one sided as the WC 2018 final but not as even as City-Chelsea, and City were big favourites there. On paper of course.

The difference in quality is evident but Argentina definitely feel confident, and they rightly should.

Chelsea had beaten City twice already in the month leading up to the CL final. So that would have given them some confidence. Plus Cihelsea has CL final experience, which City didn't have. I personally never believed City were favourites.

Brazil, unlike City, have solid reasons to be favourites and confidence. I don't think Argentina has beaten Tite's Brazil yet, at least not I'm the last two years.

I desperately need Messi to win this. He was too timid and tepid in previous finals. He needs to be fired up tonight. Come on Leo!!!

soul24rage

Chelsea had beaten City twice already in the month leading up to the CL final. So that would have given them some confidence. Plus Cihelsea has CL final experience, which City didn't have. I personally never believed City were favourites.

Brazil, unlike City, have solid reasons to be favourites and confidence. I don't think Argentina has beaten Tite's Brazil yet, at least not I'm the last two years.

I desperately need Messi to win this. He was too timid and tepid in previous finals. He needs to be fired up tonight. Come on Leo!!!

Competitively, Scaloni's Argentina has not beaten Tite's Brazil as the only competitive match between them, they lost 2-0 in the last Copa America edition (which is where the term Varsil came from)

However, Scaloni's Argentina beat Tite's Brazil in the Nov 2019 friendly 1-0. That was the last time Brazil lost a match.

Rassvet

Between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo , the first choice for PSG is the Argentinian. There are discussions with the entourage of the two players. Paris is ready to seize any opportunity.

(SantiJFM)

I am sure Ronaldo is taking this well

:lol: :lol:

Joan

I'm not sure there's anything to take since neither of them is moving this summer. Bad luck, Rassi. :p #SeQueda whether we like it or not.

I think the biggest mismatch comes from their defense line. Brazil have a world class defense line, while Argentina's is suspect to say the least. Their defense system suffered in almost every match so far.

Richard.H

I am worried about this match and do not want to see Messi sad again. Debating whether I should watch this or go grab drinks with mates

Andresito

Staff member
I think the biggest mismatch comes from their defense line. Brazil have a world class defense line, while Argentina's is suspect to say the least. Their defense system suffered in almost every match so far.

Plus their best CB Cristian Romero is out injured.

Rassvet

I am worried about this match and do not want to see Messi sad again. Debating whether I should watch this or go grab drinks with mates

Not safe to be hanging out with mates until you get a third and fourth dose to protect against the variants :koeman:

Givenchy

It's gonna take a colossal effort to drag that Argentina team to a trophy vs Brazil at their home with the officials in their back pockets, something even prime Messi might struggle with. I hope he gives it his all tonight, everyone bar Ronaldo fanboys/Brazilians want the GOAT to finally win for his country

Home of Barca Fans