Lionel Messi - v7

JohnN

Sheer fuckwittery here is astonishing.

Messi walking about is nothing new, in his very early career he pressed hard and initially did it under Guardiola, there's a reason he's been lucky with his injuries since then. It's magnified now because the team is so abhorrently bad.

Fact is, he's still miles ahead of anyone in the world in terms of raw talent, but his inability to hustle and bustle has proven it will not cut the mustard for a team that struggles off the ball, now proven with Argentina and Barcelona in the last few years.

The club are pure scum for keeping their greatest player ever there against his will, if he was at City or PSG they'd piss the Champions League, they have the quality and legs to accommodate Messi doing mass damage up front, not drifting into midfield to make up for everyone elses deficiencies.

This will only push him further out the door, the Club have been run into the ground, with mounting debt and likely a mass exodus in the summer, wouldn't surprise me if Barcelona have AC Milan mediocrity for many years to come, and the blame lies on the doorstep of Bartomeu, the man who started it all and ultimately saw over the breadown in relationship with the player who has glued the team together ever since Xavi and Iniesta faded away.

No. You have to go with the flow. We are getting exposed on the defense game after game because Messi isn't pressing ha d enough. We also get exposed when he doesn't play at all because he even then doesn't press hard enough.

Ripsta

No. You have to go with the flow. We are getting exposed on the defense game after game because Messi isn't pressing ha d enough. We also get exposed when he doesn't play at all because he even then doesn't press hard enough.

The disappointment with Messi last night was not doing it after the second went in, normally he's the only one allowed that freedom so he can produce the goods going forwards. The team is a mess, and Messi over exerting himself and potentially suffering muscle injuries doesn't help the club or him. It is what it is, Messi's brilliance comes at the cost of (what is perceived to be) laziness off the ball. Can't moan when it doesn't work, cause often it does.

Birdy

The disappointment with Messi last night was not doing it after the second went in, normally he's the only one allowed that freedom so he can produce the goods going forwards. The team is a mess, and Messi over exerting himself and potentially suffering muscle injuries doesn't help the club or him. It is what it is, Messi's brilliance comes at the cost of (what is perceived to be) laziness off the ball. Can't moan when it doesn't work, cause often it does.

It didn't work at the highest level in 18/19 one of his best individual seasons.
Honestly, I don't give a flying fuck if it works to beat Alaves and Granada.
The club needs to move forward

malvolio

It didn't work at the highest level in 18/19 one of his best individual seasons.

he kept us in that tie you xG druggy. what did you want him to do more?

without messi we would have went to anfield butt naked. your boy dembele missing 2 chances, but you now see a great future with that clown in the team.

Daniele

now,
without entering the pro vs anti Messi diatribe again.
I wonder: do you really think that getting rid of Messi is the key to resurrecting this club?
Or it would simply be having an already average team without Messi (and therefore even worse).
A team that would not even be able to score many goals against the teams you mentioned?

What I contest is this equation: end of Messi = end of crisis and rebirth.
Yours seems to me more than anything else the desire to remove a symbol without touching the essence of what is wrong : years of unfortunate management, which will involve years of reconstruction

Richard.H

I think the pro Messi camp of this forum is way too obsessed with him, to the point that every criticism is replied with "HOW DARE YOU!!". Look everyone knows Messi is not the main problem, but for Barca to grow and to evolve, we need to get rid of all seniors/all remnants of pep/lucho/EV team. All of these seniors have PTSD, especially Alba. We need to start fresh, a new brand of football. doesn't have to be strict tiki-taka. Can be more physical Barca like during Ronaldinho days. In order for that to happen, we need to clean everyone out. Keep youth+buy some players and then we might see progress.

eaman

City has 70% of possession because they press without the ball.

If you have Messi, you can't press so you won't have the ball for 70% of time.

Furter, City's actions have several attacking options.
If you add Messi, he will play slow ass hero ball type of football through the middle and all ball need to be passed to him.

Messi can shine against Cadiz and Alaves.
That's more or less it.

You do realise messi does press just not like a madman. He would have plenty of rest time in between presses in that city team

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I think the pro Messi camp of this forum is way too obsessed with him, to the point that every criticism is replied with "HOW DARE YOU!!". Look everyone knows Messi is not the main problem, but for Barca to grow and to evolve, we need to get rid of all seniors/all remnants of pep/lucho/EV team. All of these seniors have PTSD, especially Alba. We need to start fresh, a new brand of football. doesn't have to be strict tiki-taka. Can be more physical Barca like during Ronaldinho days. In order for that to happen, we need to clean everyone out. Keep youth+buy some players and then we might see progress.

+1

Ripsta

Nah, sorry, the moment Messi goes the Club is in free fall, and it looks like it's going to come as a fucking huge smack in the face to some of you.

The youngsters aren't good enough, and quite frankly neither are the senior players, management is awful and has been for the best part of a decade, and the increasing level of debt isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Mess leaving likely makes the likes of De Jong and Ter Stegen question wtf they're still doing at the Club too. Given recent transfer expenditure do you really trust the Club to go and buy the suitable replacements to keep the Club afloat?

It's an inevitability at the moment, the Club wasted Messi's prime years, 18/19 he slaughtered Liverpool and even created all the best chances, like the one Dembele fucked up right before the final whistle at Camp Nou, funnily enough the same twat who missed a sitter last night.

Quote me on it - if Messi goes Barcelona will be mid-table this time next year, and it'll only get worse. As for the 'pro Messi' shit going around, he's been the best player in the world for nearly 15 years and done more than anyone else to ever step foot on the pitch for the Club, hes the ONLY player who is absolutely bullet proof to any critisism as far as i'm concerned, so many spoilt brats it seems.

Windhook

I wonder: do you really think that getting rid of Messi is the key to resurrecting this club?

Messi leaving the club in any form will be a reset for the club completely. And sooner or later this will happen. I believe the true rebuilding will start after him and his absence will be felt for a long time.

Richard.H

Nah, sorry, the moment Messi goes the Club is in free fall, and it looks like it's going to come as a fucking huge smack in the face to some of you.

The youngsters aren't good enough, and quite frankly neither are the senior players, management is awful and has been for the best part of a decade, and the increasing level of debt isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Mess leaving likely makes the likes of De Jong and Ter Stegen question wtf they're still doing at the Club too. Given recent transfer expenditure do you really trust the Club to go and buy the suitable replacements to keep the Club afloat?

It's an inevitability at the moment, the Club wasted Messi's prime years, 18/19 he slaughtered Liverpool and even created all the best chances, like the one Dembele fucked up right before the final whistle at Camp Nou, funnily enough the same twat who missed a sitter last night.

Quote me on it - if Messi goes Barcelona will be mid-table this time next year, and it'll only get worse. As for the 'pro Messi' shit going around, he's been the best player in the world for nearly 15 years and done more than anyone else to ever step foot on the pitch for the Club, hes the ONLY player who is absolutely bullet proof to any critisism as far as i'm concerned, so many spoilt brats it seems.

You make valid points, and I definitely agree with you that FDJ and MATS might leave if they see us become a midtable team. However, I truly believe this club can't evolve if Messi and the rest of the seniors are still here. Our entire team is built around him. We need to move on. He has had a great career here and he deserves to be in a winning side like City or PSG. Sure, we won't be seeing exciting goals and assists anymore, but this team desperately needs to be renewed. Top down it needs a renewal. I just don't think it can happen with Messi still being here. We might even be a midtable side for a year or two, but we need a new identity, a new Barca. The sooner this happens the better. Realistically it should have happened at the start of this season, and I was excited for it. We should have parted ways and gained valuable transfer money for Messi to rebuild the squad. However, pressure as too big on Barto and fans would be opposed to it.

Messi is a great player, but it has some flaws.
These flaws can be trivial when you have a consistent strong team, when you have solid and fast defenders,powerful in the 1 vs 1, like virgil van dijk.
But given the fact that our defenders are nowhere near a word-class level, the few flaws of Messi do have an impact, unfortunately.
Messi isn't the main problem, but I think at a psychological level he needs to join a team where he feels more fresh and more enthusiast than this team who commits easy blunders every week !

Birdy

now,
without entering the pro vs anti Messi diatribe again.
Or it would simply be having an already average team without Messi (and therefore even worse).
A team that would not even be able to score many goals against the teams you mentioned?

What I contest is this equation: end of Messi = end of crisis and rebirth.
Yours seems to me more than anything else the desire to remove a symbol without touching the essence of what is wrong : years of unfortunate management, which will involve years of reconstruction

I have replied countless times to that claim. I won't repeat myself again with long post. You are trivializing my and other people's position.
Messi is not the only problem, but is a big part of the problem.
Agree with @Richard. H above. All of the old guard needs to go now.

By the way, you only appear on Messi's thread just to defend him no matter what.
I bet you will be the first one to leave the forum once he gets transferred in the summer?

Raketa10

The whole team looked tired and jaded tbh. But Messi was embarrassing, almost no effort at all.

Serghei have you ever played football? And by that I mean for any club? At any age?

Messi passed the ball to De Jong for that penalty and scored it. After that he pressed PSG defense and gave that pass to Dembele but he missed a clear chance. If he did ONLY that and nothing more his performance couldn't be characterized as embarrassing from anyone who understands football at all. If Dembele scored what he should have, Messi would be directly responsible for 2 goals during the first 30 minutes. Remember, he did all of that against a much stronger opponent. I am not sure if you are aware but creating 2 clear chances, during the first 30 minutes, on top level, is not as easy as it seams mate.

Last edited:

FC433

I think the issue is that some believe that getting rid of Messi will address our problems (I was one of those and was proven wrong). We have got a lot to deal with; however, blaming Messi is not going to solve anything. He wanted to leave, we forced him to stay (I was with this decision; however, I think he should leave after this season). What I am trying to say is that we should be a little more patient and respect Messi. Just a few more months.

Home of Barca Fans