Lionel Messi - v7

kattanib

Because I think Messi thought he could leave at the end of the season no matter what. He honestly probably thought the June 10th wasn't valid anymore due to COVID. He honestly thought Bartomeu would stick to his word of letting him go at the end of the season. But Messi should know how much of a lying piece of shit Bartomeu is.
Its doing Business. Why the hell would one let Messi go for free willingly?

Xaviniesta

The issue is that it is WAY TOO LATE now. Dude wasted the last few years of his peak with this fukin anime villain of a president Bartomeu. Why didn't he do this interview after Anfield or Roma? Did Bartomeu lie and tell him "don't worry messi neymar is coming any day now"?

he didn't do this interview till now because his buddy suarez wasn't being forced out the club

Richard.H

All of this is excellent news. Now we move to stage 2, no more waiting for him to leave for free .. if any club wants him they will need to pay a good sum.

I can see City making an offer and him leaving

No, he's staying. If there were offers coming then Messi would probably not speak at all and just negotiate with City/Bartomeu. This interview basically confirms that he will stay next season albeit being very unhappy.

xxxxxx

Its doing Business. Why the hell would one let Messi go for free willingly?

Messi was just dumb enough to think Bartomeu would stick to his word. He knows he can't leave for free otherwise it'll drag on for a while in the court, in which he wouldn't be able to play in any case.

Laplacian

I actually have more respect for him now. He knows that the squad building has been horrendous, sees the futility in playing for Barcelona because he wants to compete at the highest level and has requested to leave multiple times over the course of a year. His mistake was in trusting the words and promises of business suits and politicians, as if they were his friends. Now he knows just how false that was, unfortunately he's playing a hefty price for it. He's 33, he can't be wasting another year here when there's clearly very little sign that Barcelona will recover within the next 3 years.

His actions are totally justifiable imo.

I just don't understand why the board is so adamant in keeping him, when they have Coutinho and Griezmann.

El Gato

Villarato!
Messi said things that people wanted him to say for 3 years, and same people are mad at him.
I don't fault him at anything he said tbh, the whole talking of "he should be self critical" is a pure madness that should not be even taken seriously, like yeah we all love to go in public on an going issue to self criticize ourselves :lol:

Bruh he's far too slow as a team leader to take the right steps to help improve the project.
He is not faultless on the pitch and has made large errors of confidence off it by endorsing the wrong people and waiting things out despite knowing deep down there's no project developing here.

Not to mention he's publically outed himself as a dumbass for pursuing this line of 'leave-on-a-free' clause despite it having expired.

And now he's plunged himself into another year of toxicity in the dressing room where everyone knows he wants to leave, but will continue to earn extortionate wages without really being engaged in the club.

There's nothing good about this. Other than perhaps the whole airing of the dirty laundry finally happening. Even though it should have ~3-4 years ago.

MagIX

just plain stupid not to put it in writing.

I thought exactly the same thing.
Really naive.
Maybe he's lying (I don't think so), but I think he had such a naive confidence in the club which he consider the club like a home.... really naive.
The godfather: money and friendship are like water and oil: you can't mix them.

xxxxxx

No, he's staying. If there were offers coming then Messi would probably not speak at all and just negotiate with City/Bartomeu. This interview basically confirms that he will stay next season albeit being very unhappy.

Never say never.

I don't think any team has even entertained putting a bid in because of the fighting between Messi and Bartomeu, and the fact Messi could have taken them to court... and the implications of signing him on a free. Maybe they actually thought Messi wouldn't leave or whatever. Now they know he's actually really unhappy and that he wants to leave.

But money talks. This is a business.... and no player is above the club. If City put in a good and realistic offer for him, I say they have a good chance of getting him. Bartomeu isn't that dumb.

JPM85

Xavi, Henry, Marquez,Mascherano etc, all didn't have it in writing tbh, Only Iniesta. And all were allowed to leave on their own terms.
Him being stupid to not put it on paper isn't far fetched.

That?s why I am saying. If you know and told the club you want out, put pen to paper directly and don?t wait till end of the season. He got his terms, which states before June 10th (we expect) and he is free to go. If you already know in October you want out, do it directly instead of waiting for the last moment.

I know if I want out of my job I need to put it out on the last friday of the month. But if I know I want out on the 4th of September, I am not going to wait 21 days to inform them by writing (which I just did 3 hours ago).

xxxxxx

Lool he will leave for free Next year YEAHHH so good...

And he can sign a pre-contract in January for any club he chooses to. If you think he won't give a shit before January, wait till he signs a contract with another club whilst still playing for us.

There's no way this is good for anyone.... well, maybe for Bartomeu it is.

khaled_a_d

My issue is when and the circumstances he said it in. Would have loved to hear him say this 2/3 years ago.

The issue is that it is WAY TOO LATE now. Dude wasted the last few years of his peak with this fukin anime villain of a president Bartomeu. Why didn't he do this interview after Anfield or Roma? Did Bartomeu lie and tell him "don't worry messi neymar is coming any day now"? Bartomeu is a snake worse than Rossell, didn't messi know this for the past 6 years?

The problem is, Messi is not any of us. He can say what he wants on his own terms.
Why he should challenge a club president who has 3 more years in his time? A one that uses the media for his own benefits? In a time the club is trying to save face after Neymar?
he is no patriot, sure. But understanding this we should not hold him to this bs standards.
It is normal that he will talk when it is too much for him.
If he said those words at that time, people would have been mad that he has thrown his own club, teammates, coach under the bus, after they just won Liga titles. May be even connect it to losing Neymar.

Home of Barca Fans