Lionel Messi - v7

FCMessi

Fati did a few 1 on 3's and everyone just stood around and watched. Even the British commentators were pointing that out.

Messi's walk in the park has been infectious.

then there is his pet who had more fighting spirit than his owner today.

Sailor Mars

To be fair, the game was over by the time Fati came on. Reasonable to assume there just wasn't any fighting spirit at that point.

KingLeo10

Now it's Suarez' turn. Notice that I'm leaving aside all the advanced things most modern strikers do, like pressuring the CBs in build-up, blocking the pass from CBs to dropping DLP (Thiago) by positioning. Those are out of the question from the start with Messi and Suarez. Only off the ball basics here, minimal things all players should do.

Here is as simple as helping a player under heavy numerical inferiority. Bayern hound poor De Jong in a 3 vs 1 and not Vidal, and not Suarez make any advancing move in the yellow space to provide an option.

Some notes on the positioning of Bayern, and they supposed "scared of Messi" thing. Far from it. They don't even care for Messi. Messi is left standing on the right in space by Davies. Davies synchronizes with the rest of his backline and the position of the ball (the opponent's opportunities of pass), irrespective of what Messi does.

Bayern push hard on the area of the ball, knowing Barca have issues playing under pressure, due to poor movement. Every time Bayern does this overcrowding of key areas, our players should adjust and do approaching moves, trying to open up spaces.

Nothing happens, De Jong is left hanging out to dry, loses the ball like it's nothing. Happened multiple times with different players.

bayern-barca2.jpg

The damning thing here is that Busquets Roberto and co are also ball watching while we're in the attacking phase.

Forget Messi and Suarez, the entire team practices little to no off the ball movement.

KingLeo10

The comparisons to MJ are blasphemy outside of anything but natural talent.

Messi has never held himself/teammates to the utmost, near maniacal standards of excellence. If he did that, we'd still be competing in Europe under bum managers like EV and Setien simply on the virtue of collective hard work/effort.

snowy

MJ and Leo are polar opposites in many ways _ almost on different ends of personality spectrums.

Life's got a sense of humor though. Numba 10 is the Messiah, 23 is Black Jesus hehe

He lost his speed a long time ago, actually. I've always said that there was a Messi before his injury against PSG in 2013 and there is a Messi after that injury. His game heavily changed after that injury, that's when he lost his insane explosion. It looked like he got at least 5 years older when he recovered from that injury.

He stayed relevant because he is the GOAT, there is no one as talented as him, but I think that people underestimate how bad that injury was for his game.

KingLeo10

He lost his speed a long time ago, actually. I've always said that there was a Messi before his injury against PSG in 2013 and there is a Messi after that injury. His game heavily changed after that injury, that's when he lost his insane explosion. It looked like he got at least 5 years older when he recovered from that injury.

He stayed relevant because he is the GOAT, there is no one as talented as him, but I think that people underestimate how bad that injury was for his game.

He was insane in 14/15. Averaged 10 dribbles a game in the CL for some 120 total.

58 goals, 29 assists.

What's really happened is that he's now 33 and he's just about done.

Barcilliant

I do think Messi had it all come to him to easily. So insanely talented that he was gonna make it regardless. Never had to fight for his spot once on, being part of one of the greatest teams of all time taken under wing by great players. Now he is not willing to take responsibility, nobody there to look up to no you are the guy now to steer the younger players looking up to you. Not willing to do it, spoiled. Because situation is not optimal to his wishes, not able to muster up fighting spirit.

I think if he had overcome greater adversaries in his life he could have had developed that mentality.

You can say the same about Pique and Busquets too. Alot of success came early in their careers and they never truly appreciated it. Their attitude of entitlement has led to this most spectacular of meltdowns.
Messi has been given way too much liberty at the club. Another big cl club would have sold him two years

ago.

Last edited:
He was insane in 14/15. Averaged 10 dribbles a game in the CL for some 120 total.

58 goals, 29 assists.

What's really happened is that he's now 33 and he's just about done.

Yeah, I know that he was insane in 14/15 but even in that season I don't think that he had the same speed. That's why I will always consider 10/11 his best version. He had everything that he had in 14/15 but was also insanely fast.

He suddenly lost his speed after that injury and I don't think he ever recovered that.

Richard.H

MJ comparisons :lol: :lol: at this point he will be lucky to be compared to Maradona. Even in key moments like vs Germany WC and vs Chile 2016 he hasn’t really imposed his will and seized the chances like maradona or even CR7 would

MJ gave no fucks about amigo teammates, would easily throw out a good friend for a shot at a win. Messi would be crying and yelling at Papa Bartomeu if Suarez was trying to be offloaded

Last edited:

mecka

Probably he knows himself he`s no captain, but I cant think of worse leadership than him in barca history. What a captain and leader Puyol was....

JamDav1982

You know he and the other amigos will find some sort of narrative that absolves them of any accountability. They'll blame Setien and Bartomeu and then just say that they had an off night or something.

Of course they will.

Amigos will talk about 'changes' but dont think for a second they will aknowledge the biggest issue... how they have been indulged and destroyed the dressing room.

Pedro

La Masia
He won't leave, Barca treated his hormone deficiency when he was young so he hasn't forgot that. If he was gonna leave he would have already done so after Roma or Liverpool losses. Just need some top players in the team so Barca can compete on all fronts again and get the best out of Leo

Home of Barca Fans