Lionel Messi - v7

jamrock

messi is a genius on the field that sees spaces no one is even thinking about, but he would make an horrible manager given his recent comments

clemente

His answer to chances of Valverde sacking: "Everyone thinks the worst after what happened".

That makes no sense, actual barca fans who watch every game want Valverde sacked for different reasons, it's the unwatchable football, the mediocre gameplay with a billion worth squad is the reason fans want him sacked, if those loses happened under Pep, nobody would be blaming him, only the players.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
A lot of interesting responses in the interview, particularly what he said about Griezmann - wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Perhaps nothing but a very lukewarm response to such a big signing

Rory

Valverde is a shit manager and I want him gone. However leo is not wrong to say it was on the players. Alba, busi and rakitic all played shockingly bad and that is on them. Sure Valverde made awful decisions that was a large factor in the anfield defeat but I don’t think the whole 4-0 was because of him. Alba made a shitty mistake and the corner goal the whole defence switched off.

EdmondDantes

A lot of interesting responses in the interview, particularly what he said about Griezmann - wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Perhaps nothing but a very lukewarm response to such a big signing

I got exactly that.

When the journalist brought up the rumour that 'key players in the squad weren't keen on bringing Antoine to Barcelona' Messi was just coy and didn't even bother to deny it. He just brushed that under the carpet and vaguely said he hasn't trained with the squad much, so he's only had minimal time in the locker room to get to know anybody yet...

Boy did he make sure to say how much he wanted Neymar back for all sorts of reasons though.

Now I watched the whole thing, and it wasn't all that bad, Messi was just being diplomatic about Valverde really.

Zica

Other than his price tag, nothing about Dembele makes him a superstar.

As for why Leo backed Valverde publicly, it’s possible that

1) He thinks Valverde is a decent coach and that the players are the problem
2) He didn’t want to publicly undermine the manager
3) Barto asked him to and Leo agreed (maybe in exchange for Neymar)

It’s also possible that Messi likes Valverde because he’s a doormat and doesn’t care if it hurts the team’s chances but there are more innocent explanations.

4) Valverde lets him do whatever he wants on the field and always plays all his friends. A new coach could very well change that.

Ritchie

"The coaching staff had nothing to do with the game we played"

Says Messi about the guy who fielded 2 midfielders who have zero press resistance with the other midfielder who now shows he needs technical players beside him to not expose his flaws.

Against the relentless pressing machine that is Liverpool Football Club under Klopp. Our inept midfield got smothered, we got smothered and humiliated yet again....

Not the coach's fault...

Messi's enabling persona is unbearable at times.

He may as well say: "I like Valverde and want him to continue here because he doesn't bench my mates, and we call the shots in the dressing room anyway".

Messi might want to win but playing with his mates comes first.

CatalinR10

We will win the CL this season. Messi will have his life easier with Frenkie and Griezman in the first 11 , their link up will be insane and no one will be able to stop it. Valverde will continue to be a puppet and the players will now have their own ideea on how to play.

There's also a good chance Neymar will come here in the winter and once that happens , it's over.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I got exactly that.

When the journalist brought up the rumour that 'key players in the squad weren't keen on bringing Antoine to Barcelona' Messi was just coy and didn't even bother to deny it. He just brushed that under the carpet and vaguely said he hasn't trained with the squad much, so he's only had minimal time in the locker room to get to know anybody yet...

Boy did he make sure to say how much he wanted Neymar back for all sorts of reasons though.

Now I watched the whole thing, and it wasn't all that bad, Messi was just being diplomatic about Valverde really.

I think some of us speculated that the Griezmann pursuit was likely seen by Suarez/Leo as conflicting with the Neymar pursuit and ultimately hard to argue with that. Although I would rather say the Neymar pursuit prevented us from De Ligt.

Griezmann, looks like it was done without the blessing of senior players - not that Barto et al needed it but it is the Messi era.

I say this because the other part of all of this that is odd with Messi is his calf injury. On Aug 5 it was described as a Grade I strain which is the mildest injury and normally resolves even on it's own without a lot of treatment or time out. Even Grade II should have resolved by now and that would involve a partial tear. But more than 5 weeks later? Something odd I find but perhaps nothing on it's own. In the context of sporting decisions and his interview, I got the impression of a player angry with the board

Home of Barca Fans