Lionel Messi - v7

Vilarrubi

Hopefully in better form than he was when the suspension came in place. He was really wasteful missing big chances left and right.

Agree, was struggling and didn’t look himself. Hoping this break helps Messi and co. He said it himself that it could benefit us.

KingLeo10

If he can close out this season strongly and get us a CL win as captain, it would be the storybook ending to the closing stages of his career.

Catta

If he can close out this season strongly and get us a CL win as captain, it would be the storybook ending to the closing stages of his career.

The club had the chance for that last season, don't think they will have a better chance for it. They shit the bed, I don't except a CL until all the seniors are gone including Messi.

Richard.H

2018 and 2019 were the golden opportunities. Not sure if Messi and the other seniors have the mental will to do it. Only way it happens (with Messi) is if Messi focuses on success rather than friendships. It's something that CR will always have the upper hand in. CR will gladly sacrifice his old teammates for newer ones if it means a better chance at winning.

KingLeo10

2018 and 2019 were the golden opportunities. Not sure if Messi and the other seniors have the mental will to do it. Only way it happens (with Messi) is if Messi focuses on success rather than friendships. It's something that CR will always have the upper hand in. CR will gladly sacrifice his old teammates for newer ones if it means a better chance at winning.

Yeah, I understand that. I think 2019 was the golden opportunity as Messi was close to his prime/peak form. 2018 I don't think we beat Madrid or Bayern and Messi was meh for his standards.

For me, not all CLs are created equal. If Messi wins 1 with this carcass of a team (huge if and likely not possible) without MSN or Xaviesta, it will easily be his best CL win to date. Same holds for CR7 with that old Juve squad. Worth way more than his Madrid CL wins.

I think the seniors have one last shot with this 3 months physical break and injured players coming back. They look better in training than they did in March, especially Messi.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yeah, I understand that. I think 2019 was the golden opportunity as Messi was close to his prime/peak form. 2018 I don't think we beat Madrid or Bayern and Messi was meh for his standards.

For me, not all CLs are created equal. If Messi wins 1 with this carcass of a team (huge if and likely not possible) without MSN or Xaviesta, it will easily be his best CL win to date. Same holds for CR7 with that old Juve squad. Worth way more than his Madrid CL wins.

I think the seniors have one last shot with this 3 months physical break and injured players coming back. They look better in training than they did in March, especially Messi.

Messi carrying that dead sack of a team in 18/19 through the CL knockouts and within 3 games of a treble was so close to being the GOAT football achievement. He was giving inspired performances in the CL and would've easily shat on Tottenham in the final again if we had managed to hold on, and it's pretty clear from comments from Messi/Pique IIRC that the squad were so deflated by the Anfield loss that it impacted our CDR final performance.

And he would've won that treble in his first season as captain of the team. With no Neymar, Xavi, Iniesta, or Dani Alves and with the likes of Suarez/Pique/Busi/Rakitic on their last legs. We had no right to be that close to a treble and Messi was dragging the team with his performances both in the league and CL.

God damn he could've had a "Last Dance" documentary for that season alone if we didn't capitulate. Will forever be my saltiest memory as a sports fan, and there are many.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans