Lionel Messi - v7

JamDav1982

Messi didn't play as a RW (even though he spent some time there he was clearly mostly playing through the middle), Griezmann was on the right.

Messi and Griezmann played as always do and Messi goes where he wants and Griezmann basically pivots with him. Agree Griezmann was on RW more often than has been.

Just about any time Messi was on RW he wouldnt defend and Monreal went charging up the park.

Was at its worst in last 10/15 minutes as well when Messi was on the RW or had wandered centrally leaving no RW.

Clear as day they targetted it all game when on.

Covering for Messis lack of movement is a huge issue at Barca when trying to set up team as a unit. It just becomes about covering for him and getting ball to him too often.

Last edited:

Ritchie

Messi himself has to share the blame as well. He had many good opportunities to leave and finish his career with much better endings but he chose the least challenging option to stay here for his family. I'm not one of those dumb people that argue Messi has to move to other top leagues to further prove himself. That's not the point here. It's getting clear that he doesn't have any "extra" motivation as a footballer to have a better career and individual achievements at this point. He just wants a comfortable and stable life for his family

Ronaldo saw the writing on the wall with Madrid and left to stat pad in Italy. Messi should have left for England 2 or 3 years ago.

KingLeo10

Penaldo’s stats for Juve are way worse than they were for Madrid lol far from statpadding in Italy.

They aren't anything mind blowing with or without penalties. Nowhere near 1 goal per game.

In the CL, it's like 7 goals in 15 games.

People just like to hype him unnecessarily at times.

Valdario

Equipped with the Valverde magic of being a workhorse rather than being an actual footballer these days... he's polishing himself to be a GOAT in every way possible, I expect him to play fullback next season

sickstar

He's showed moments of class in a few games because you don't lose that talent. I wouldn't say Eibar was a vintage performance either, it's just the one game he's been able to finish for shit. Dare I say it, that's the kind of game he shines in now, against La Liga crap at home.

The thing is, you need to carry Messi physically. There'll be retired 45 year old players in better physical condition than Messi is. Instead he's playing in a garbage team and still being expected to carry them. Really, he needs to be standing in the box in a creative team waiting for tap ins like Penaldo's last few years.

With the exception of maybe 2014 (when the World Cup medal was so close) Messi was clearly the best in the world in terms of performances from 2009 to 2019. I don't think that's going to be the case this year and he'd be lucky to even make the Ballon D'or podium. I think it might have been if he wasn't playing for such a shit team. Last year he did such a great job of carrying that team but he's beaten down now.

I wouldn't say fast movement dribbling zig zag, nutmeg, as just a better finishing. Also starting an attack with direct passes to the center and running with a clear intent of scoring goal as just better finishing too.

Both of those goals need a team mate that understand his movement to give ball back to him at exact favorable moment and although, once more, you could argue, hey it's Eibar, it's also the team who defeated atletico and sevilla. I only can say, the tactic also worked at that time, and we have messi with high motivation mode, and we have forwards and mids who can cooperate together, at that time.

Of course everyone notices something's not right with his face language, either it's physically or mentally. In your opinion it's physical issue, but we already kinda know what type of player messi is emotionally, with the off the field controversy regarding barcelona, argentina issues. So, we don't know the actual matter is. If it's a sign of slowing down with ages, it's understandable to me. How many players has perform with such consistency after playing nearly 900 games in 16 years? Not many, even physical monster such as ronaldo is clearly dropping, ibra? He's nowhere his best now, who else? Maybe only one anomaly that i remember lately is that Quagliarela last season. Others? Certainly tgere are, but not much. Majority of players tend to go downhill when they're nearing 35. It doesn't even need statistic to say that.

And if you have a 33 year footballer still contributing to 40-50 goals a season, and the best player of your squad, in their downhill mode, you clearly has a problem with your squad.

Eshez

Messi tires so easily these days, then he starts making mistakes. I feel like he won't have the longevity of a normal player.

Home of Barca Fans