Lionel Messi - v7

JohnN

That Croatia vs Argentina video.. He looks like a menace every time he gets the ball. He looks very very good to me. Any other player would be praised for that performance.
Remember this is a match where their goalkeeper gave away a 2 goal lead in the worst possible way.
I agree that him dropping deep, is caused by the opponents closing down all passing zones to Messi.
I disagree that a midfield as good as Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets at their peak, wouldn't be able to resist the pressing and be able to find a passing lane.

And this is a part about evolving.
People often say on this forum: TikiTaka from 2008-2011 wasn't neutralized. It is that WE stopped applying it perfectly, lol.
In the first 1-2 seasons, the opponents are shocked and don't know how to defend against us. But then, a little by little, coaches figure out some things: how to neutralize shots, how to neutralize good passes, how to kill us on counters.
And in the beginning, the opponents are applying only tiny bits of that knowledge how to stop us, but after 2-3 years, majority of opponents, their coaches, players and assistants have learned all tricks how to stop us on all parts of a field.

Anybody could see the way the 2008-2011 Barca was playing. Everybody knew where the next pass was going to be. Everybody could see the 1-2's and the through balls coming. It wasn't a matter of not knowing a tactic that could stop those things. The tactics at times were executed at such a perfect coordination that even if you knew everything that was about to come, you just couldn't stop it. It is just like trying to stop Messi 1v1 at his best. You do know what he will do. It's absolutely obvious sometimes. But when he executes it perfectly, every single defender has failed to stop him.

And then you get a 2011/12 season when even Pep was forced to change things and invent new ways.

My point: maybe, even if we had Xavi and Iniesta today, they would be less effective today than in 2009 or 2011 due to teams evolving and making it harder and harder for winning systems as time goes by.

You could say he was forced to change things if something hadn't worked out, but 2010-2011 was one of our best seasons. It's not like someone stopped Barcelona, we won almost everything, losing only the CDR to a very good Real Madrid team. He tried to further improve the system and make variations, not because the system wasn't working, because he wanted to have more options. That is a good coach right there.

Kul_z

Croatian newspapers and interviews with an NT coach Dalic.
I will copy/paste some interviews and use a Google translate for other users to read it:
Before a match Croatia:Argentina, group stage, World Cup 2018:
https://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/dalic-messija-se-ne-moze-zaustaviti-a-od-danas-mi-je-rakitic-prvi-pomocnik/2005183.aspx

Parts about Argentina:

NT Coach Dalic 5 Months after a World Cup talking about specific matches, this time about a match vs Argentina and how to stop Messi:
https://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/dalic-otkrio-kako-je-zaustavio-messija/2036911.aspx

Google translate:

And now, a year after a World Cup, a journo reflects on words of Dalic and Rakitic and about Messi's secret told by Rakitic to an NT coach Dalic in the days before a World cup match:
https://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/rakitic-je-bio-savrseno-u-pravu-za-messija-cim-izvede-taj-potez-izgubio-je-sve/2098056.aspx

Google translate:

Here are some pics from that article about Messi touching his chin, having a blank look in his eyes and sulking in big matches once when his team starts to lose 0:1:
8ff8ed71-13b4-4249-87db-b041fec11075-obicno(38).jpg

ap1hadwni2ohn2bteq7k.jpg

hgxs1ymqpa22gegpx4hw.jpg

** Anyway, from this article, we can see some things:
1. coaches use a lot of assistants and a full team of people around them to prepare a match or a season.
So, if Malcom or Alena are not playing, it is usually (imo) not only about a coach, but about a full team of people who have made that decision. (For a reason).
2. further, coaches and players are sharing their secrets.
And this is a part about evolving.
People often say on this forum: TikiTaka from 2008-2011 wasn't neutralized. It is that WE stopped applying it perfectly, lol.
In the first 1-2 seasons, the opponents are shocked and don't know how to defend against us. But then, a little by little, coaches figure out some things: how to neutralize shots, how to neutralize good passes, how to kill us on counters.
And in the beginning, the opponents are applying only tiny bits of that knowledge how to stop us, but after 2-3 years, majority of opponents, their coaches, players and assistants have learned all tricks how to stop us on all parts of a field.
And then you get a 2011/12 season when even Pep was forced to change things and invent new ways.
I have said a few days ago, I watched a documentary about Cruyff 2 weeks ago, and even he and his assistants said: it was easy for us in 1991 and 1992.
Teams didn't know how to stop us.
But in a 1993', it started to be way harder. Even the weakest La Liga teams started to neutralize our actions and patterns and we needed some changes.
We needed to give up from our winning formula because it was not working anymore.
3. regarding our midfield and Messi, maybe our midfield is looking even worse, because the opponents are taking the Messi out of the game, unlike 2008-2011?
4. further, Messi dropping deep? It is clear that a coaches are cutting him from the game on purpose, and the only way for him to get the ball is to drop deep and ruin our tactics to some extent.
My point: maybe, even if we had Xavi and Iniesta today, they would be less effective today than in 2009 or 2011 due to teams evolving and making it harder and harder for winning systems as time goes by.

Anyway, after all these words from a coach, from Rakitic and about Messi, here are 2 videos about that match in the end:
Goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcM5n71XmBo

Messi's individual play and how he was stopped:

Its true, he sinks, we all know that.
But whats the coach fault in all those miseries? Its a fact that since guardiola he didnt have at least a decent manager, who would do something with a fact that there are at least 2 players on him, and that should leave space for others. He cant produce chaos from chaos, he is playing in system 'pass to messi' for more then 6 years now(except msn, that talent upfront was devastating), and ofcourse that is clear like day how to stop 'messi's' team if you have equal quality or less quality players with a clear system, cut messi out and others would act like headless chickens. its like in fairytales, you just know that you need to cut the head of more stronger and obviously dumber opponent to stand a chance, and smart coaches use that tactic successfully. Messi is a monster, like greatest villain of all time in the eyes of every coach facing him, but tactics make their job easier, not to tell that motivating your players against messi is like the easiest thing to do in world football, ffs you are playing against messi and you need to be in the game full 90', compared to messi teammates that have a mentality - we have messi. I hope with griez and de jong addition we would be less dependent on messi, because we'd have another dejavu in cl knockouts next year. It became a pattern.

MagIX

...I had already hoped that with the addition of 300mio Coutinho and Dembele we would have been less dependent on Messi, but unfortunately it wasn't so.
Unfortunately Messi is forced to do a double job, scoring AND creating (by replacing Xavi and Iniesta),......that's not possible, that's not human, that's an anomaly that must be absolutely corrected.
Let's hope that with the addition of Griez and De Jong :)worthy:) we will be less dependent on Messi, as you said

Scott, me and a lot of users started to use that leadership phrase about CR7 in the last 3-4 years because of his drive, motivation, passion. He rarely gives up.

And you know that moment in a CL in the 80th minute of a 2nd leg vs Juventus or someone, when RM is 0:1 down.
CR7 will wave his hands and ask from teammates to wake up and try something.
Also, on an individual level, you can bet that he will somehow find a way to get in 3-4 chances in the last 10 minutes (usually headers at a far post) and he will most often score 1 and turn the match in the final minutes.

On the other hand, Messi, when we are 0:1 down, he will have a lost look on his face.
He will look as if the world has ended.
He will sulk and just walk around a pitch.
He won't yell at teammates and he surely won't get into 4 chances in the last 10 minutes.
He will just walk and do nothing.
Or drop deep and try to dribble past 5 players or play a long ball to Alba.

I have read an interview a few days ago.
And a Croatian NT coach Dalic said that before a match Croatia:Argentina at a World cup, Rakitic has told him: the only way to stop Messi is to defend as a team with 2 players around him all the time. And pray that he won't pull some magic...

But, Rakitic said: if we score first, then the most often Messi is dead.
If we score and if Messi starts to look down, touch his beard, he is usually KO'd and he will play only at 50% unless if his team will somehow score.

So, you see, it seems that even players and coaches know about this Messi's problem when his team is 0:1 down.
** someone will now post some matches against RM when he turned the match.
True, he is always motivated against RM and CR7.
But in Europe, in majority of cases, when we are 0:1 down, Messi goes into a sulking-disappearing mode.

No wonder that we weren't able to turn a single tie into our favor when we were losing, since 2014'
2014 Atletico 0:1
2016 Atletico 0:2
2017 Juve 0:3
2018 Roma 0:3
2019 Liverpool 0:4

With Messi in the last 5 years, after WC 2014, in big CL KO matches it is mostly:
1. If we score first, Messi goes into a beast mode and we can win 3:0 or 4:0 against anyone, especially at his home, where he feels comfortable, at Camp Nou
2. But away from Camp Nou, especially if we start to lose, in majority of matches=we see MIA and sulking Messi. And since our team can't create an action without Messi, we are dead also.
Ok, there are 100s of other factors for our defeats.
But Messi's weird sulking at away KO matches at 0:1 is also one of them.

In that sense, when we are playing away from home and losing 0:1 in a KO match, I would personally rather take CR7 for the last 10 minutes.
He is crazy and motivated.
He will get in 3-4 chances, score one header and probably earn a penaldo.
Messi will walk, sulk and hold his beard in those moments.

Too many final defeats have hurt him.
Argentina fans against him.
Too much pressure.
Also he changed since he has a family.
I don't know what exactly is a problem, but in terms of mental strength, in the last 5 years Messi is miles behind CR7.
** also, this don't apply for La Liga.
Messi plays here for the whole career and La liga is his home.
In La liga matches (home and away) and on Camp Nou Champions league KO matches, he is a lion.
But World cups, Copa America and Champions league KO away matches, something is wrong (in terms of a mental strength and confidence) with Messi on these matches.

Would genuinely love to know how many times Ronaldo has 'saved his team in the last 10 minutes'. Because thinking off the top of my head that seems like another one of his PR myths - May be wrong though.

I saw him do that face after Chelsea scored first with him scoring the equalizer in the CL, or a shit ton of other examples when he ends up scoring to tie the game or win it. LMAO , what's he suspossed to do , have a smile on his face 90 mins long ?

Ah yes , he's supossed to yell at his teammates like CR does , if they win it's all because of his cheerleading skills , if they lose ...well it's because the team sucks , like CR would say , not him.

I remember some years back when Cuenca was in the team and he was doing stuff without looking what's happening around him, kept shooting the ball with free teammates around him or stuff like that. At one time Messi had enough of it and yelled at him to stop keeping his head down and look up to see what's going on around him . The result ? He was cruciffied in the press for yelling at a kid :lol:

Exactly this. Same thing happened when he shouted at Villa. He got roundly rinsed for it. Fucking dictator etc etc. However if Ronaldo did the same he would be praised as prime Capello, Mourinho or Guardiola with hair gel.

Kul_z

...I had already hoped that with the addition of 300mio Coutinho and Dembele we would have been less dependent on Messi, but unfortunately it wasn't so.
Unfortunately Messi is forced to do a double job, scoring AND creating (by replacing Xavi and Iniesta),......that's not possible, that's not human, that's an anomaly that must be absolutely corrected.
Let's hope that with the addition of Griez and De Jong :)worthy:) we will be less dependent on Messi, as you said

Well dembele was just unconsistent, and coutinho turned out in this previous season like a flop of epic proportions. I know that he had best intentions, but he holds on the ball for too much time and is so predictable that hurts my eyes, nowhere near griez quality in my opinion. De jong on the other hand is a type of player we desperately needed, tech, mobile, simple, and quite strong in mf position. I hope that can do something, and suarez needs to at least have his shooting boots on when it matters. When i look at players i get excited, but like i said, when i see valverde on the sidelines it makes me sad because deep down i know nothing is going to change, and messi would 'fail' yet again and would get all the blame. I hope im wrong

KingLeo10

Could anyone imagine that we dont win the CL for 4+ years after destroying every big team in our 14/15 CL road ? :lol:

we would have won it last season with even a decent manager at the helm.

15/16 and especially 16/17 were MSN fucking up.

Last two were on Valmierda.

KingLeo10

BBZ out here cherrypicking instances of Messi slumping when he has literally won us 100 matches where we were tied or behind (even in CL if you look through his whole career).

Literally scored a hat-trick to make sorry ass Argentina qualify for the WC in the last game.

I'm all for fair praise and criticism (Could Messi be a better leader? Absolutely) but something needs to be done about BBZ's propaganda. Rakitic has had a 'shit his pants' face for every big CL tie since 2016 and you would NEVER EVER post pictures of that as 'evidence' to support your nonsense.

Just stop. Your jig is up.

Xaviniesta

Messi's speech before the Joan Gamper match last season:

"Last season was really good as we did the double but we all felt bad about how it went in the Champions League," Messi said. "We promise that this season we will do all we can to bring that beautiful trophy back to the Camp Nou."

Wonder if we'll hear the same thing again :thinking:

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Anybody could see the way the 2008-2011 Barca was playing. Everybody knew where the next pass was going to be. Everybody could see the 1-2's and the through balls coming. It wasn't a matter of not knowing a tactic that could stop those things. The tactics at times were executed at such a perfect coordination that even if you knew everything that was about to come, you just couldn't stop it. It is just like trying to stop Messi 1v1 at his best. You do know what he will do. It's absolutely obvious sometimes. But when he executes it perfectly, every single defender has failed to stop him.

A cool myth, yeah.
You are neglecting a basics of a human psychology and an urge to survive and evolve/adapt no matter what is happening around you.

I will pull some numbers from my ass now (how some users love to say) to explain a rough idea.
Have you ever played some sport, or a video game or any competitive game in which you started as a better one and you played against someone who was a complete rookie?
For example, you are playing football on PES or FIFA.
And in the beginning, you are trashing your rookie friend with 10:0 per match.
You are scoring goals left and right.
You are scoring goals from perfectly executed actions but also from average ones too, since your opponent can't defend anything.

And then, after some time, he will learn some things and instead of 10:0 wins, the scores will slowly turn into 3:0 and 4:0 for you.
Now, let me ask you: has your level dropped in this case? No.
Has his level improved? Yes.
And yes, if you will execute PERFECTLY your moves, you will still usually win.
But he will learn how to stop your NOT SO PERFECT actions.
And regarding your perfect actions, he will learn how to prevent them, or=how to allow the lowest possible amount of your perfect actions.

And this example is only about a defending part.
Think about attacking: in early matches, he will never score against you, it will be 10:0 all the time.
In fact, he will have problems to even getting into your half with the ball.
Over time, he will BOTH lower the amount of goals conceded to 3-4 per match, plus he will slowly find way to score goals, MORE and MORE.
And from 10:0, matches will soon turn to 4:0, and later to 4:1, 4:2 or 3:2.

Now, if you were ever in a similar situation, what is your only chance as you are seeing him improving and closing a gap between you two?
= you will need to add some additional moves and ideas to your gameplan, on top of that classic gameplan which has been slowly neutralized.

Regarding football, have you ever played against superior opponents in football/basketball or any some sport, but where you had a chance to replay a game over and over in upcoming days and weeks?
For example, imagine if you play a 5 vs 5 football, and your opponents are overall stronger than you plus they have some superkid in a team.
In the first match, they will eat you alive and win 10:0.
Then, one week later, you will know: ok, that kid was too good, let's try to stop him.
Then you will put 2-3 players on that superkid, but then the rest of his teammates will have too much space and you will again lose 10:0.
Then, in one match you will try to go all out attack. You will lose 15:0. Ok, this is not a solution.
Then, you will start to play more defensive, to concede a lowest possible amount of goals.
If you have 5 vs 5 players, you will eventually figure out that the ONLY way to somewhat block the opponents is:
= to mark that superkid with 2 players, to mark all other players with 1 player.
And then, since they will always have 1 player unmarked, the best option is to NOT MARK their defender or the guy who is the least dangerous.
So, you can't mark ALL players and then you will make mathematical choices and play a risky game with not man marking their weakest player.
If he scores, oh well, that is the risk you had to make.

So, in this example from above, our matches will start with 10:0.
After a few weeks/Months, matches will be closer to 3:0 or 4:0.
And of course, my team will also figure out some patterns how to actually score a goal or two against these superkids.

Now, you see, BOTH in a videogame example and in this 5vs5 footy matches, no matter how perfect are you actions, OVER TIME an opponent (unless if an opponent is not interested in evolving, like Barcaforum too often), the matches will be tighter and tighter over time.

Now, go back to Barca from 2008-2011.
Again, in early days:
1. teams were naive and surprised. They didn't know what formation to play, how to defend.
They were running around like crazy around our guys and we were playing rondos.
Eventually, one manager figured out that the best way is to park a two lines of 4 players around their box because it will MINIMIZE the efficiency of our play.
It won't stop us completely, but it will be way harder for us to break them than those early naive formations in 2009 and 2010.
2. further, teams figured out that we aren't crossing and that we are more dangerous in the middle (Xavi-Iniesta-Messi) than on flanks.
And since you can't defend BOTH a middle around the box and flanks, the opponents figured out that the best option in terms of probabilities is to: crowd the middle around the box and leave the flanks exposed.
If we score or create trough flanks=oh, well.. they needed to make that risk.
3. further, when we would lose the ball, we had that rule (7 seconds iirc?) where we would be attacking like crazy to get the ball back.
Teams didn't know that in early days and we were taking the ball easily in those years and just scoring from counters (after regaining possession) for fun...
Eventually, the opponents figured out that, for example, that they need to survive only for the first 5-6-7 seconds and play 2-3 back passes or switch sides to an opponent flank, because Barca will give up then.
So, in the early days: they didn't know what to do when they would get the ball.
Later they knew: you just need to avoid losing the ball in the first 7 seconds.
And even worse: they found out ways how to ruin our formation (since our players were interchanging positions while trying to get back the possession).
So, after 3-4 years, they found patterns how to get our RB/LB or a pivot our of his position, and then to hit a deadly counter through that position which will be empty or where a forward or a CM will play against a RB/LB/pivot who had to leave his position.

So, these are just 3 small examples how every team could have lowered our efficiency.
In 2009 or 2010=everything worked.
Perfect actions.
Average actions.
Even some sloppy actions.

Overt time, the opponents improved and figured out our patterns.
And then, if we wanted to score, we needed only perfect actions.
Average actions weren't good enough anymore.

Further, if my theory is not true...
Then WHY did Crujff said that they needed to make changes after 3 years because the opponents have figured us out?
Why did Pep start to make changes in the 4th season?

Basically, when I am reading posts like yours and for 100s users with the same idea how 2008-2011 is some godlike football which was and STILL IS impossible to stop, then I am imagining our coaches:
Pep: 2008: We will play TikiTaka.
= we won La Liga and a CL
Before a 2nd season, in Pep's head=we will continue with the same tactics.
= we won La Liga again
Before a 3rd season, in Pep's head=we will continue with the same tactics.
= we won La Liga and a CL again
Before a 4th season, in Pep's head=you know what guys? I am bored of winning... Let's abandon our original ideas and try to play slightly differently? I am tired of winning
So, Pep started to change things and we lost BOTH La Liga and a CL.
Then Tito came and he copied Pep.
He won La Liga.
Then Tata came. And in his head, you had 2 options:
1) we can play with Pep's winning style which won 4 La Ligas in 5 years
2) OR, we can try something new, since the last time when we tried something new, in Pep's 4th season=we lost La Liga.
And then, Tata the idiot, picked: let's try something new. I am tired of our system which is too good. Let's rather play some shitty football.
And we lost La Liga and a CL again.
Then Lucho came. In his head:
1) we can go back to Pep's football, which won 4 La Ligas in 5 years.
2) or play some shitty football with new ideas, where we lost 2 la ligas in 2 attempts
And a stupid guy Lucho ALSO picked some new version of our football, with less possession.
Then Retardo came.
He again had a simple choice:
1) go back to a proven style, a style which can't be figured out and beaten, and a style which will bring trophies until the end of universe if executed properly
2) or you can play a shitty Earnieball
And Ernie, as all other idiot managers picked: I don't want to play with cheating codes and win titles. I want to play a shitty football.

I mean guys, in which kind of a bubble are you living, when you think that several coaches in a row are all idiots and instead of a godlike system which can work in EVERY YEAR till the end of a time, they are picking some shitty tactics?

Do I even need to ask for the 1000th time:
If that system wasn't figured out after 2012, then why Spain can't win anything anymore?
Should I even dare to mention a Father Pep himself who has 6 CL failures without Messi?

My point is:
1. even if our system was perfect in 2008-2011, over time teams will get closer and closer, that is always happening in nature. Adapt or die (Barca fans are picking: a die option, lol)
2. in terms of how good our system was, it is hard to tell whether a system itself was THAT GOOD, or it was only very good, but aliens like Messi, Xavi and Iniesta elevated it to a Goat levels.
And without them, you just have a very good system, nothing more.

Anyway, my opinion is that even if executed perfectly with 11 Frenkies on a field, that system in 2020 would be let's say 70% efficient as in 2011 because the teams have evolved.
So, copying the exact system from 2011 is a bad idea. We will get a weak version of something that stopped working even 8 years ago.
The only way to improve is: to go back to Pep's idea, BUT to improve them with some new things from 2020.
This is why I have said: mix Pep from 2011' and Klopp from 2019.
Pep 2011&Klopp 2019 mix is a way stronger for 2020 than Pep's style from 2011 alone.

I am not saying that Ernieball is the answer, lol.
But, Ernie at last tried something new... and failed.
For me, trying something new and failing is way better than living in a bubble and believing that a time has stopped for Pep's 2008-2011 football and how nothing can stop it IF executed properly, lol.
So romantic... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans