Lionel Messi - v7

Ritchie

Ronaldo has certainly had his fair share or questionable individual award winnings, but if we are going by this season's criteria he should have won last year.

EKULrNoXUAEEnOm.jpg

Modric Ballon D'or was a farce last season, similar to how a Van Dijk win would have been this season.

Ronaldo won nothing domestically in 2018 and was poor for a lot of it. Messi completely dominated La Liga.

Ronaldo was a passenger in CL final. Bar one game did nothing at the World Cup.

The Juve and Spain game carried him that year.

Batistuta9

Ronaldo has certainly had his fair share or questionable individual award winnings, but if we are going by this season's criteria he should have won last year.

EKULrNoXUAEEnOm.jpg

Modric Ballon D'or was a farce last season, similar to how a Van Dijk win would have been this season.

It's misleading to just look at those numbers when comparing those 2. Ronaldo didn't really participate in build up play and if you look through his season highlights most are typical striker goals. Modric, tbf was the main playmaker for real and Croatia. Messi, on the other hand had to be our main goalscorer as well as our main playmaker. If you watch the season highlights for both, messi was clearly the better individually

Raketa10

EKULrNoXUAEEnOm.jpg

Modric Ballon d'Or was well deserved, he won CL and he was the best player in World Cup in Russia. Croatian team depended on him like Barcelona depends on Messi. On the other side the way Messi single-handedly carried this team last year was out of this world. Never in his career did Ronaldo influence his team like Messi did last year. Stats are only part of the story, he was basically our best midfielder and attacker. So sorry but it's not even comparable. Some of you should stop pulling the stats all of the time and start watching the game because there are things that are not clearly visible from numbers.

IMHO during the last season Messi probably played the most complete football of his career. I have said that already but some people here tend to disagree. Was he faster or more lethal back in Pep era? Of course he was but the way he influenced the game last year when he was the creator and executor is something I have never seen in my life. Also bare in mind that during Pep era (or Lucho's first year) he had much better teammates (and manager) while in the last season we basically relied on him 90% of the time.

People who tend to claim that VVD deserves Ballon d'Or more than Messi should just think about how much did he influence his team last season in comparison to Messi. Let's be realistic, it's not even close.

Last edited:

MagIX

What about assists - key passes - dribblings or other stuff ? Messi’s last season was legendary as he almost carried a bunch of old plebs to a treble. As impressive or good was cr last year , his performance doesn’t touch Messi’s, even if they have similar scoring stats.

I totally agree.

MagIX

EKULrNoXUAEEnOm.jpg

....reducing a player's quality from the number of goals scored

the winner of the Ballon d'Or is the one who scores the most goals ? I mean, the best player is the one who scores the most goals?

Unfortunately, since CR arrived, this new criterion has been introduced.

MagIX

Modric Ballon d'Or was well deserved, he won CL and he was the best player in World Cup in Russia. Croatian team depended on him like Barcelona depends on Messi. On the other side the way Messi single-handedly carried this team last year was out of this world. Never in his career did Ronaldo influence his team like Messi did last year. Stats are only part of the story, he was basically our best midfielder and attacker. So sorry but it's not even comparable. Some of you should stop pulling the stats all of the time and start watching the game because there are things that are not clearly visible from numbers.

IMHO during the last season Messi probably played the most complete football of his career. I have said that already but some people here tend to disagree. Was he faster or more lethal back in Pep era? Of course he was but the way he influenced the game last year when he was the creator and executor is something I have never seen in my life. Also bare in mind that during Pep era (or Lucho's first year) he had much better teammates (and manager) while in the last season we basically relied on him 90% of the time.

People who tend to claim that VVD deserves Ballon d'Or more than Messi should just think about how much did he influence his team last season in comparison to Messi. Let's be realistic, it's not even close.

:worthy:

"he was the creator and executor is something I have never seen in my life"
the same for me.

a lot of people forget this fact: he is an INCREDIBLE fantasist (typical number 10, at levels of the best of the best like Maradona, Ronaldhino,...) and an INCREDIBLE goleador (typical number 9, at levels of the best of the best like G. Müller, Ronaldo,...).

For Messi there should be a special haward: the diamond ball

devo901

this is a nice picture of Leo and Ronaldo also the stats; but why do we compare 2 different years? ronaldo 17/18 and leo 18/19?

Vilarrubi

this is a nice picture of Leo and Ronaldo also the stats; but why do we compare 2 different years? ronaldo 17/18 and leo 18/19?

Because it fits his agenda. 2018 was a World Cup year, end of story lol if Modric had won CL and made WC Final, being the player of the tournament this year he would win instead of Messi too.

Hardy

ronaldo would have won last year staying in Madrid, imagine how florentino would care of Modric when his player would made history overtaking his biggest rival with Real Madrid. In the end he got screwed by himself :mou:

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Not too shabby. A bit better finishing and he could’ve had another goal or two in the first half. Shame he shot straight on Burki after that nice little run.

Home of Barca Fans