Lionel Messi - v7

fergus90

Today is a classic example of Barca's current predicament, when Messi has hunger and desire he seems to raise the level of others around him.

But ultimately he is almost 34 which means the likelihood we see the same intensity from him Wednesday is slim. It is in those games you expect the others to stand up and be counted. That has not happened truly since 2017.

Windhook

Leo was fired up to get revenge for the Copa game and he got elbowed a couple of times by Sevilla players so he lost his nerve in the first half, almost got sent off. The last 30 minutes I watched the classic Messi. He is still GOAT when surrounded by youngsters who admire him. That Ilaix pat on the head made me smile, he really cares for all these promising kids.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Leo was fired up to get revenge for the Copa game and he got elbowed a couple of times by Sevilla players so he lost his nerve in the first half, almost got sent off. The last 30 minutes I watched the classic Messi. He is still GOAT when surrounded by youngsters who admire him. That Ilaix pat on the head made me smile, he really cares for all these promising kids.

Messi came as a kid to us and he will leave as a men....they grow up so fast :notme:

Vilarrubi

Already scored over half of the goals he scored in the whole of 2020 this year.

Scored 27 in 48 games in 2020.

Has 14 goals in 14 games in 2021 and it’s only February.

KingLeo10

Already scored over half of the goals he scored in the whole of 2020 this year.

Scored 27 in 48 games in 2020.

Has 14 goals in 14 games in 2021 and it?s only February.

Honestly, it's all about his motivation what numbers he can put up. If he's fired up, there's not many teams even in 2021 that can stop him (this list was 0 up until 2015 too :lol: )

Daniele

i obviously exaggerate for comedic effect but my general point still stands: you can't keep calling messi GOAT and all that but hide and make excuses whenever he fails to turn up in decisive matches. that just doesnt work.

of course he cant do it alone--and of course our relatively weaker side doesnt help. im not saying he should score a hattrick every game. all im saying is that to deserve the praise he gets (and the boat load of money that is sinking our club that he is paid) he needs to try harder in the big matches (CL KOs and clasicos) and make a difference.

now, if were going to accept he is no longer GOAT not even among the worlds best anymore then fine. but you cant have it both ways: you dont get to scream GOAT when he scores against cadiz but talk about what he did 5 years ago in 2015 when he doesnt impress in our annual CL humiliations.

edit: THAT SAID he was very good today and helped us get an important 3 points, plus gave us the energy to face sevilla midweek hoping for a remontada. more of that please

there are 2 things you don't put into perspective.

1) Even the great players are human, they have ups and downs, and often if an entire team is inferior to another (for example Barcelona compared to Bayern) they cannot make a the difference.
Because it is a team sport, and I don't remember examples, in 30 years of watching football, of a player who manages to shine when his team loses 4 or 5 to 0. It also happened with Maradona for example.

Messi has had his "no matches". But his consistency throughout his career remains out of the ordinary.

2) Football is not tennis, where there is a number 1.
In some periods some very fit players may appear stronger than the great champions. A 34-year-old man does not have the physique of a 22-year-old. This does not mean that a player's genius fails.
Maybe at 34 this Messi isn't the strongest player in the world (maybe).
But the very fact that I can write "maybe", it means that a 34-year-old player is still up there, giving flashes of magic, and this is the only objective fact with respect to the spasmodic and slightly nerdistic search for the number one at all costs.

This is why I never agree with those on this forum who look for the smallest details to criticize Messi, because they seem to have in mind a playstation football - a virtual sport that does not exist - rather than a sport made by fallible human beings, in which Messi, with his (few) faults, is on the verge of perfection (possible Goat, in fact)

Last edited:

Richard.H

Copa will be a big test because now Llopetegui will probably prepare for that 5 at the mid formation. I hope he turns up because I fully expect Sevilla to play with a lot more intensity and a lot more dirty fouling/slapping on his face.

BarcaOG

Banned
But your momma has a statue of me fucking her.Go check her room.Or you are not allowed to leave your rooom after 11 pm?

dude, you claim to support barca since 2000 which suggests youre at least 30 and probably older. you might want to relieve your youth by repeating 2000-2004 yo mom jokes but have some dignity and use your brain to do better

SmilerBam

dude, you claim to support barca since 2000 which suggests youre at least 30 and probably older. you might want to relieve your youth by repeating 2000-2004 yo mom jokes but have some dignity and use your brain to do better

We'll do this.You ll stop with those stupid Arsenal meme things and i ll stop with my momma jokes.Call it a thruce.And if we ever cross roads(on this forum), i ll make sure to attack your message,not you.How about that?

Home of Barca Fans