Lionel Messi - v7

Rory

Not this again... :facepalm:. He didn't exactly delivered on Anfield in the key game did he? He wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either. There's a reason why we are 0-16 or something in key away games in CL. The attack, and Messi is a large part of it, is shit.

If anything, I've always said set pieces is the only aspect older Messi is better than younger Messi at.

So,

0-1 Atletico
0-2 Atletico
0-4 PSG
0-3 Juve
0-3 Roma
0-4 Liverpool
2-8 Bayern.

0 goals by Messi in 7 games. 25 goals conceded. He doesn't defend, and doesn't contribute with end product either. You could make a case if he didn't defend, but scored in most of those games. Yet he has 0 goals and 0 assists in 7 games. All that is left in those games is us trying to defend with one man less. A main reason why we conceded 3.5 goals / game.

In La Liga he has been a huge weapon in our prolonged dominance during his era. In CL he has been more of a liability in the 2nd part of his career.

You can pull these types of stats up for any player. Even Ronaldo. Also disappointing you're purposely missing some key things. Messi set up good goalscoring chances in the Juventus 3-0 and Liverpool 4-0. The rest of the games he was poor in for sure.

serghei

You can pull these types of stats up for any player. Even Ronaldo. Also disappointing you're purposely missing some key things. Messi set up good goalscoring chances in the Juventus 3-0 and Liverpool 4-0. The rest of the games he was poor in for sure.

Of course he did something. Any attacking player at a Barca/Bayern/Madrid starter level will create chances. I didn't say he didn't play. I was referring to decisive contributions. Isn't he the greatest scorer in our history? Where are his goals, the most important thing in football?

MagIX

And forgetting the other 10 players... he is not alone on the pich.
And the 4-0 vs Liverpool.... 3 RIDICULOUS mistakes by the defence.
Main reason why we loose is because we have Messi on the pitch, i can t believe it😂

serghei

You will see that the moment both Messi and Suarez are gone we will start to press more and we will be harder to score against. It's football basics. The better you press, the harder for the opponent to build attacks.

If you have players who don't do any defense, it's harder to defend well. Again, basic football principle. The days when some defend and some attack are over. Today you do both, or suffer the consequences, the last of which is exactly what we did, year after year.

Last edited:

Richard.H

The solution is simple, just play him up top and don't let him come near the mid. This will solve a lot of problems. Sure he won't get as many touches but he will still be very deadly. If a counter attack starts with him near mid it's basically a sure chance for the other team.

serghei

The solution is simple, just play him up top and don't let him come near the mid. This will solve a lot of problems. Sure he won't get as many touches but he will still be very deadly. If a counter attack starts with him near mid it's basically a sure chance for the other team.

Easier said than done. Who's gonna stop him if he drops?

MagIX

Of course he did something. Any attacking player at a Barca/Bayern/Madrid starter level will create chances. I didn't say he didn't play. I was referring to decisive contributions. Isn't he the greatest scorer in our history? Where are his goals, the most important thing in football?

At least please do not mention in your statistic this match vs Liverpool... in 180min he scored 2 goals and he created big chances (this for Dembele is.... better no comment)... definitely vs Liverpool he did enough, no doubt. The team was simply shit, with ridiculous amateur mistakes.

MagIX

Not this again... :facepalm:. He didn't exactly delivered on Anfield in the key game did he? He wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either. There's a reason why we are 0-16 or something in key away games in CL. The attack, and Messi is a large part of it, is shit.

If anything, I've always said set pieces is the only aspect older Messi is better than younger Messi at.

So,

0-1 Atletico
0-2 Atletico
0-4 PSG
0-3 Juve
0-3 Roma
0-4 Liverpool
2-8 Bayern.

0 goals by Messi in 7 games. 25 goals conceded. He doesn't defend, and doesn't contribute with end product either. You could make a case if he didn't defend, but scored in most of those games. Yet he has 0 goals and 0 assists in 7 games. All that is left in those games is us trying to defend with one man less. A main reason why we conceded 3.5 goals / game.

In La Liga he has been a huge weapon in our prolonged dominance during his era. In CL he has been more of a liability in the 2nd part of his career.

You can mention even the 0-7 vs Bayern (even with Messi injured).
I do not think is so easy the answer: we lost because Messi no defend or score.
We always have difficulties in away games in CL since Pep era (dream team with Iniesta, Xavi,...).
The problem is deeper than having Messi in front.

serghei

At least please do not mention in your statistic this match vs Liverpool... in 180min he scored 2 goals and he created big chances (this for Dembele is.... better no comment)... definitely vs Liverpool he did enough, no doubt. The team was simply shit, with ridiculous amateur mistakes.

Those are away games. At home we are rather strong, and the other teams are not as confident and ruthless. When we go away though, we collectively turn to shit, with few exceptions. This applies to Messi as well.

MagIX

Those are away games. At home we are rather strong, and the other teams are not as confident and ruthless. When we go away though, we collectively turn to shit, with few exceptions. This applies to Messi as well.

i agree.
a problem we have been carrying around for years and years

Rory

God it?s insufferable with you sometimes. Did any of the other ?Barca level? players create chances in those games? No. They were clear goal scoring chances that should have been converted. I?m giving you 80% of those fixtures you listed as being examples where he played badly but you just can?t accept it. What is it with having to be right no matter what? It?s not a discussion it?s just this is my opinion and I?m right and fuck you. Whereas I?m like ,actually yeah he was shit here and there but these 2 examples are unfair

khaled_a_d

You can mention even the 0-7 vs Bayern (even with Messi injured).
I do not think is so easy the answer: we lost because Messi no defend or score.
We always have difficulties in away games in CL since Pep era (dream team with Iniesta, Xavi,...).
The problem is deeper than having Messi in front.

True words.
There is a systematic problem within the club in away games for almost a decade and half.

JohnN

God it?s insufferable with you sometimes. Did any of the other ?Barca level? players create chances in those games? No. They were clear goal scoring chances that should have been converted. I?m giving you 80% of those fixtures you listed as being examples where he played badly but you just can?t accept it. What is it with having to be right no matter what? It?s not a discussion it?s just this is my opinion and I?m right and fuck you. Whereas I?m like ,actually yeah he was shit here and there but these 2 examples are unfair

Don't bother.

Sorin

Best if you ignore him. He thinks he's smarter than he is.

Home of Barca Fans