La Liga 2018/19

Who will win La Liga?

• Total voters

serghei

Again, don't see it at all.
I mean let's forget about the names for a second.
MATS & Cillessen are as good as it gets in GK, have no problem at all with it.

CB? Our best one is Umtiti, he can be elite, but in last 2 seasons he started as one relying more on his physical tools who gradually developed, by second year he was immense then lost his concentration by second half. Could make an argument that it is the manager but there is a lack of consistency in him, a bit like Varane.
Pique? clearly past it. Almost since March 2016 it was a consistent decline, last year defensive approach protected him as he was still elite in aerial challenges and play with his heart on the pitch, now even those are gone.
Lenglet? good addition but way too early to consider him difference maker, legit question about his fit with fit with another left footed Umtiti.
Vermaelen? lol

LB? Alba is good, but he has history of both inconstincy and injuries, he is playing his best under EV anyway and doubt any other manager will make him better.
We lack back up LB thanks to Abidal not EV, Miranda isn't ready at all, historically it has been decades since a defender under age of 21 made it to 1st team and there is a good chance EV is doing the right thing to protect him from early destruction in 1st team.

RB? Semedo is average, Roberto is average, both lacks potential to be world class RB. I think it is a bad joke now that people thinks Semedo can be one, at age of 25 he is almost at his peak as a player for someone playing that position and he shows serious flows, Roberto played his best season last year under same coach btw.

Overall this is a bad defensive line up, which need to be badly protected. It is almost impossible to win CL without a good defense.

DM? Busquets is way past it, he is a slow CM playing DM atm. he isn't a protector, he is slow, and he exposed our defense. His on the ball game is still elite, but as Sir Charles Barkley says, father time is undefeated. A manager won't reverse the clock.

CM? past it Vidal? Raki who almost everyone here hates? Arthur ? the coach showed trust in him so far, but he is too green atm to carry the midfield despite showing signs of being a good contributor in the team, but right now he is a shorter version of Busquets (but he can run) and that won't cut as difference maker in CL. Don't think I need to talk about Samper here

AM/wingers?
Denis and Rafinha are decent bench player, don't think anyone rates them and most want them out
Malcom? promising youngster but he is still a question mark, if you watched him enough and says he is a top 10 wingers in the world and can be great starters in the team I will take your words for it. But right now I will rate him as a rotation player that the coach should use more.
Dembele and Coutinho? Those are 2 players you can seriously question the coach about them. Coutinho is a bit in no man's land whether he is a midfielder or attacker and considering he is signed after EV had half season here he should have an idea of how to use him to his best abilities, nevertheless he is still one of our best players.
Dembele is another player people think EV is destroying him, but honestly I am losing faith in him, and in fact I am thinking EV has been more patient and actually trying to fix his flaws (goal scoring improved a bit) but I just don't think he will cut it at elite level of football, he will be great in a team like Bayern where he can help them dominate Bundesliga. I really hope he proves me wrong.

Strikers? Munir is average or below average, Suarez is a guy who is playing because Messi needs a striker in front of him to play to his full potential but again he has already showed signs of aging long before EV
Messi? he is the greatest footballer we have ever seen, but 2 things, Messi is undoubtedly a tactical purden right now, this is something I've been saying for over 2 years and people are starting to realize it now, he doesn't run, he doesn't defend and he is now a second striker which is huge tactical challenge. He need a striker in front of him to be effective, he needs the ball where he want it to show his play making ability etc.
And his CL track record in over a decade when it comes to QF or after has been one of the most underwhelming for a player of his caliber, as the star of the team he shares part of the blame especially for those who discredit managers because the team has Messi.

Simple as it is, in CL where you are playing elite team, through fatigue in late stages of the season, this squad won't cut, we lack defense, we lack midfield creating ability and we lack another threat goal scoring beside Messi who teams have been able to shut him down when it mattered in CL (there will be probably 5 different quotes who are mocking me criticizing Messi).

In league this squad can cut it, in CL it won't.

As for other questions you are asking, well I didn't say we can't do better, of coarse with better manager you always do better. but it won't be winning CL better, for me no chance (without super luck)
Could we have eliminated Roma? sure, EV fucked up that game (and btw, they were 3rd best team in the tournament throughout the year, better than a team like City for example)

Liverpool didn't win the CL for the record, and they had a young team who had so many players playing their best year at same time, Klopp done great job for sure, but I doubt they will have same success this year even with a superior team this season on paper. And in general the Klopp and pep's of the coaching are rare, we have been lucky with the Rijkaard/Pep/Lucho trio who coached us for 12 during 14 years span.

While EV has been poor this year so far, I think we are lucky to be able to call what he did last year "bad" as some people are doing. In few years time those bad will be considered good most likely.
And again before the shitstorm that some people will bring, this isn't really defending EV, for me he is a coach that should go at the end of the year. but this squad needs a huge renovation. To consider it one of the best squads is -for me- living in the past.

I think we are extra pretentious. If you think our squad is bad, I could basically rip the Liverpool team who made the CL final with Klopp (deservedly btw, not by luck or some shit like that) to absolute pieces.

:lol: This forum took the piss out of their defence, and their midfield is made out of players like Milner and Henderson. Their attack is a budget version of our attack. Their RB and LB are Arnold and Robertson. Arnold is a kid still and Robertson never drew anyone's attention.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
If we had a top class manager that guy might have actually requested some signings that fit the team or benched underperforming players unlike this dud.

Who else was available that summer? How would you guarantee a Sarri would do a better job from this summer onwards?

Instead we got a dude who his first season requested Paulinho and then this summer wanted Willian. Players of his calibre.

The amount of excuses made for Valverde are absurd.

That is a problem for sure. Conte level ridiculousness.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Who else was available that summer? How would you guarantee a Sarri would do a better job from this summer onwards?

That is a problem for sure. Conte level ridiculousness.

First of all Sarri is not afraid to rock the boat and bench underperforming players and right away signed a player he wanted at Chelsea and requested a couple of others like Koulibaly, but due to Abramovich's UK visa issues and unwillingeness to put money into the club it didn't materialize. That wouldn't be a problem at Barcelona.

He would get his signings and he's already managed to change the culture at Chelsea and implement a game plan, with a varying level of success obviously, but at Barcelona you already have the players accustomed to what way of playing football so the transition to that would go smoother.

The guy has also played guys like Barkley who's average at best and managed to get some good football out of him while our manager is playing Rakitic and other starters until their legs become jelly.

He's already made more progress at Chelsea than Valverde has at Barcelona having been here a longer time.

Now some of you will bring up Sarri and how he's never won many trophies in his career as if Valverde did the same before he arrived here. And besides, we almost won a domestic double with Tata Martino here too.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

TBH...the pace that Real Madrid and Levante played this game...I don't think this sluggish Barça will be either to control either of them. Should be interesting.

El Gato

Villarato!
First of all Sarri is not afraid to rock the boat and bench underperforming players and right away signed a player he wanted at Chelsea and requested a couple of others like Koulibaly, but due to Abramovich's UK visa issues and unwillingeness to put money into the club it didn't materialize. That wouldn't be a problem at Barcelona.

He would get his signings and he's already managed to change the culture at Chelsea and implement a game plan, with a varying level of success obviously, but at Barcelona you already have the players accustomed to what way of playing football so the transition to that would go smoother.

The guy has also played guys like Barkley who's average at best and managed to get some good football out of him while our manager is playing Rakitic and other starters until their legs become jelly.

He's already made more progress at Chelsea than Valverde has at Barcelona having been here a longer time.

Now some of you will bring up Sarri and how he's never won many trophies in his career as if Valverde did the same before he arrived here. And besides, we almost won a domestic double with Tata Martino here too.

Nowt to do with trophies for me.

It just boils down to the fact that Sarri hasn't made a jump to top-tier football anywhere. His 2-season run can be in many ways compared to the Sampaoli run with Sevilla. Obviously this is getting proven somewhat wrong of an assumption that it will be the same at Barcelona. But it'd be a gamble all the same. Hence - why take a gamble if you have the same sort of a gamble of Valverde possibly improving on your hands already? Because he employed a more positive style? Bloody basic thinking to assume it would automatically be better.

Cule4life

The Culest
It just boils down to the fact that Sarri hasn't made a jump to top-tier football anywhere. His 2-season run can be in many ways compared to the Sampaoli run with Sevilla. Obviously this is getting proven somewhat wrong of an assumption that it will be the same at Barcelona. But it'd be a gamble all the same. Hence - why take a gamble if you have the same sort of a gamble of Valverde possibly improving on your hands already? Because he employed a more positive style? Bloody basic thinking to assume it would automatically be better.

When did Valverde make the jump to top tier football before Barcelona?

Sarri was like Sampaoli at Sevilla? Valverde didn't even achieve that :lol:

Sarri was a gamble but Valverde's wasn't? What the..... :lol:

Yup insane to think Sarri would be better than Valverde seeing how Chelsea is playing under him. As Trump said we can't believe what we see with our eyes and hear with our ears.

This is some bottom of the barrel level trolling. But the joke's on me to expect better from you. :lol:

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Us, Atletico and Real Madrid dropping those points all over the place so far. Very unpredictable league right now.

khaled_a_d

And last season will only be remembered for one thing in 10 years. The Roma debacle. It's unfortunate, but that'll be Valverde's legacy at Barca unless he makes a complete turnaround and becomes a different person and manager.

This team have had many memorable league campaigns. Last year might have seen a long unbeaten run and some good results on paper, but it was far from memorable, except for one ugly moment in Rome.

It will always be remembered with the domestic double, sure Roma game will be remembered but it well never take a thing from his trophies. That is the case for every manager.
And anyway, no one said EV will be a coach remembered in the long run for Barca.

If we had a top class manager that guy might have actually requested some signings that fit the team or benched underperforming players unlike this dud.

It goes both ways. This squad got holes, but is still quite decent. With a proper manager that got a proper plan he might have asked for better signings which would have made us able to challenge for the CL.

Instead we got a dude who his first season requested Paulinho and then this summer wanted Willian. Players of his calibre.

The amount of excuses made for Valverde are absurd.

-for the record,EV wanted Verratti and Ceballos before any of those
-You are making a valid assumption, but I don't think it is valid to blame the coach for it.
When Klopp signed Salah, he said the scouting department of the club gave him a great report about him and he checked everything he wanted. It isn't the manager job to select those player.

To say a world class manager might have forced his signing is ignoring that the board won't allow it. Pep wanted more players back in 2011 and didn't get it. Managers can't force anything if the board isn't willing to
Milan fans hated Allegri for some time and blamed him for destroying their great team, when he coached Juve they thought he will bring them down. It was too late they realized it was never the manager destroying that team.
Same thing for bayern, first it was Pep, then Ancelotti, then Kovac?

And I doubt Sarri would have ever got his signing last year, it would have been actually even harder than Chelsea with board obsession with Liga experience. Napoli actually had an agreement with him he won't target any player from them after Jourginho

I think we are extra pretentious. If you think our squad is bad, I could basically rip the Liverpool team who made the CL final with Klopp (deservedly btw, not by luck or some shit like that) to absolute pieces.

:lol: This forum took the piss out of their defence, and their midfield is made out of players like Milner and Henderson. Their attack is a budget version of our attack. Their RB and LB are Arnold and Robertson. Arnold is a kid still and Robertson never drew anyone's attention.

Their defense was shit until they signed VVD who no body claimed he is bad, he was able to elevate that defense by being the missing piece for it. our defense could be much improved at the moment with a focused Umtiti and a world class CB signing (Koulibaly for example). But we do have Pique and not VVD.
Their attack is way better than us, it was apparent from the start of their season, Salah had a Messi-esque type of year, Firmino was better than Suarez and Mani is on another level than Dembele/Paulinho. all 3 were aged between 25 and 26 during last season which is the peak of their career, they attacked well, run well and saved no effort, to even compare it to our attack line is laughable, their midfield had way more legs than ours, Milner is older than Busquets but can run way more, it is just his game and physique.
And as I said, I don't talk about names, because we obviously had players on paper are really great, but that on field is something else.

serghei

Their defense was shit until they signed VVD who no body claimed he is bad, he was able to elevate that defense by being the missing piece for it. our defense could be much improved at the moment with a focused Umtiti and a world class CB signing (Koulibaly for example). But we do have Pique and not VVD.
Their attack is way better than us, it was apparent from the start of their season, Salah had a Messi-esque type of year, Firmino was better than Suarez and Mani is on another level than Dembele/Paulinho. all 3 were aged between 25 and 26 during last season which is the peak of their career, they attacked well, run well and saved no effort, to even compare it to our attack line is laughable, their midfield had way more legs than ours, Milner is older than Busquets but can run way more, it is just his game and physique.
And as I said, I don't talk about names, because we obviously had players on paper are really great, but that on field is something else.

But their attack doesn't have better players than us. Their players perform better because they are better prepared and better managed for the big games by Klopp.

Lol, if you take Liverpool and Barcelona player for player position for position, maybe only Vand Dijk plays instead of Pique. Maybe 2 other players max. But that's it. It would be 8 Barcelona players and 3 Liverpool players tops. But it's perfectly normal for a weaker team to perform better than a team filled with stars when they are better managed.

Stegen is better than their Keeper.
Alba is better than Robertson.
Umtiti is better than Matip, or Klavan or Lovren.
Busi is better than Henderson.
Rakitic is better than Milner.
Messi is better than Salah.
Suarez is better or at least on par with Firmino
Coutinho is better than Mane
Arthur is better than Wijnaaldum.
Semedo/Roberto is probably better than Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Our team si better than their team on almost every position. But they gel better than us and are more of a team simply because they are much better managed in the big games by Klopp, in comparison with how we play under Valverde.

It's crazy to suggest Liverpool have better players than us. Absolutely nuts. Is that why they haven't won a big title in ages? While we win a big title almost every season?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans