Julian Nagelsmann

El Gato

Villarato!
Rework of TV distribution is one thing. Salary caps can also be introduced nationally btw. At least in Germany, due to the licensing system. It would help the domestic competition, but probably also slightly cripple our chances in CL and EL. Although I dont think its gonna be THAT bad for German clubs. I would prefer if it was introduced all over Europe of course, but I would actually take it even if Germany was the only one doing it. 50+1 is also a thing that only Germany has and it caps clubs perspective, but fans wouldnt trade it for anything.

And I do by the way think that the BuLi WILL introduce salary caps at some point, maybe as the only league in Europe. Many people and clubs are in favour of it, even Bayern didnt mind having it. The DFL and the German govt have already looked into this and I think we are heading into that direction, but the legislative way to introduce this might take a few years.

Domestic TV rights aren't seemingly an issue though? It's the international share, which seems to be based on popularity.

A single league salary cap would surely absolutely cripple Germany. It has nothing going for it long term other than the pioneer status. Just a trigger for massive exodus and becoming unpopular to talent & agents going forward.

Catta

There is to much talk about the German Villas-Boas. There is no guarantee that Bayer will be stronger with him. I think that there is a bigger chance he flops, he is still to young, the pressure and expectations could be to much for him.

Morten

There is to much talk about the German Villas-Boas. There is no guarantee that Bayer will be stronger with him. I think that there is a bigger chance he flops, he is still to young, the pressure and expectations could be to much for him.

Its Bayern, its basically impossible to flop given the lack of competition.

Yannik

Domestic TV rights aren't seemingly an issue though? It's the international share, which seems to be based on popularity.

A single league salary cap would surely absolutely cripple Germany. It has nothing going for it long term other than the pioneer status. Just a trigger for massive exodus and becoming unpopular to talent & agents going forward.

Keep in mind that salary caps do also mean clubs have a bunch of leftover funds to put into facilities and significantly improve youth production rates aswell as technical equipment, infrastructre and scouting. So much potentially that it can effectively counter an exodus in the long term.

An initial hit to international chances would certainly happen, but outside Bayerns Cl runs we dont loose a whole lot anyway at this point. And I believe that a league of that size will never vanish entirely from the scene. Even though it has the lowest international viewerships from the top 4 leagues, the BuLi is still attracting the 2nd biggest TV deal progression in the world simply because 83m people + some parts of Austria and Switzerland are carrying the domestic viewership so hard.

I think that in the long term the way to go is to be progressive. Which might fail, but I dont think we will be able to fend off English buyers for much longer anyway, so we might aswell go all in at this point and risk it. Even if it fails, the main viewership will still watch because as I said above success is not the only reason they enjoy watching it. Upholding the status quo, going for minor changes or hoping all the other leagues care to create level playing fields aswell is imo not helping us.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Its Bayern, its basically impossible to flop given the lack of competition.

Yes but the room for error/tolerance level at Bayern is very little for any manager as a result. It goes without saying to win the domestic double every year, the CL is where you are measured, as a success or failure.

Pressure to deliver them the CL is big.

Morten

Yes but the room for error/tolerance level at Bayern is very little for any manager as a result. It goes without saying to win the domestic double every year, the CL is where you are measured, as a success or failure.

Pressure to deliver them the CL is big.

Meh, as long as they get to semis every year, they'll be fine, no club can take it for given to play in CL finals.
Heck, if you are unlucky to met another top side in the quarter finals(PSG this time) you can get away with a quarter-final exit, Flick is leaving on his own accord by the looks of it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
By imposing salary caps German clubs will definitely take a hit competitively in the short-run, however in the long-run if German clubs are much more healthier financially as a result, even more so than today (already the case), they will be the eventual winners as they will have the funds to buy players they want and pay the salaries those players want.

You can't live off your reputation and debt forever.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Meh, as long as they get to semis every year, they'll be fine, no club can take it for given to play in CL finals.
Heck, if you are unlucky to met another top side in the quarter finals(PSG this time) you can get away with a quarter-final exit, Flick is leaving on his own accord by the looks of it.

Yeah, Flick is leaving not because of Bayern getting unhappy with him for exiting the CL and pushing him out etc., he is leaving on his own terms; however the general yardstick for success for any Bayern manager from their fans is the CL campaign. Pep did well domestically there but was faulted by many Bayern fans precisely because he couldn't deliver them a CL.

Maybe Nagelsmann will have an easier time since he is German and he grew up in the Munich area (as a Bayern fan?).

BarcaOG

Banned
big loss for Bayern (flick) whom i fear and respect as a good manager, especially for Bayern.

really lame to take RBL's coach--that club has come SO far in so little time partly thanks to him.

that said, im really not sure he'll triumph at bayern. sure, hell win the Bundes and the Pokal and what not but you guys are right that the standard at Bayern is at least CL semis.

we'll see...

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...lick-thomas-muller-robert-lewandowski-leipzig

Expect a lot of goals scored and much less goals conceded under Nagelsmann's reign.

Will be interesting to see how he develops young players, since Bayern, like many other clubs can't afford to spend much on transfers and would have to explore within. Musiala is a gem already and will most likely be a regular under Nagelsmann I think. Arp? Can he be salvaged? Singh? Tiago Dantas?
No, no and no. Tiago ll go back, Singh is not good enough too, Arp not much hope left and earns too much

Rhein, Sieb, Arrey-Mbi and Scott could hopefully get chances under Nagelsmann.

Tillman and G?nther were highly rated until injuries stopped their development..hope they come back even stronger.

Richards is doing good at Hoffenheim and I rate him and they signed Stiller for free..interesting player..was hoping Flick giving him chances :(

2nd team: https://www.transfermarkt.de/fc-bayern-munchen-ii/startseite/verein/28

El Gato

Villarato!
they will be the eventual winners as they will have the funds to buy players they want and pay the salaries those players want.

You can't live off your reputation and debt forever.

They won't be able to pay anyone the salary they want if the player's desired salary is above the set cap and the players find a more attractive workplace offering them their desired wage abroad.

It's basically a big gamble that clubs will be able to generate the talent nationally and the talent will not want to go to a different country.

I don't disagree with the concept, but for it to be successful and for Bundesliga to not be competitive just within its own remit, the rest of Europe must follow in employing the law accordingly. Otherwise, as Honigstein also points out, all Bundesliga are doing is putting themselves at a unique disadvantage.

Yannik

They won't be able to pay anyone the salary they want if the player's desired salary is above the set cap and the players find a more attractive workplace offering them their desired wage abroad.

It's basically a big gamble that clubs will be able to generate the talent nationally and the talent will not want to go to a different country.

I don't disagree with the concept, but for it to be successful and for Bundesliga to not be competitive just within its own remit, the rest of Europe must follow in employing the law accordingly. Otherwise, as Honigstein also points out, all Bundesliga are doing is putting themselves at a unique disadvantage.

That's ultimatively what I hope would happen. Popularity for salary caps among clubs in Europe is there, it's just that an international solution would not happen in decades and noone wants to do it first. I think that we need to step away from being scared off by potential worst-case scenarios and give it a go. If it works then I do think the PL will follow and from there maybe other leagues aswell. And if it doesnt then we would just have to accept the L. I think even the worst outcome of this would only accelerate a trend that was going to happen anyway.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans