Josep Maria Bartomeu

fergus90

The new president will have a massive task.
Club is a mess on all fronts.
Laporta was a great president but football has changed a huge amount. Transfer fees are inflated, oil clubs, LA Masia not the same, quality of players not that great.
I mean Ronaldinho was bought for a very reasonable price bacj then. Also Eto and Deco.
Football has changed ALOT.

I can certainly see football transfers going back to a bit of normality again after this covid situation. No doubt we are still at the tail end of the Neymar ripple effect where everything got inflated. Even the Citeh's and Chelsea with their oil money don't splash out 70+ on players like we have in the last few years.

I can only really see Mbappe and Haaland going for silly money now.

fergus90

It will happen now or soon enough.

The EPL will end up being like NBA with all the top players and coaches moving there more and more while other leagues are poor and boring in comparison with 1/2 top teams and rest poor.

Situation will get worse and worse and EPL will keep growing.

It is inevitable top clubs in europe will want to do something about it.

I'm sceptical it will to be honest unless you scrap the Champions League and Europa League of course. I'd imagine for the European Super league to gain any traction they'd want the Liverpools, Uniteds etc taking part.

JamDav1982

I can certainly see football transfers going back to a bit of normality again after this covid situation. No doubt we are still at the tail end of the Neymar ripple effect where everything got inflated. Even the Citeh's and Chelsea with their oil money don't splash out 70+ on players like we have in the last few years.

I can only really see Mbappe and Haaland going for silly money now.

Chelsea just spent over 200m and their most expensive signing in Havertz.

Both they and City have spent big despite covid and rich owners have allowed them to do it.

JamDav1982

I'm sceptical it will to be honest unless you scrap the Champions League and Europa League of course. I'd imagine for the European Super league to gain any traction they'd want the Liverpools, Uniteds etc taking part.

They will want Liverpool/United etc but the top clubs in other countries wont sit back and let EPL take over financially and in terms of focus in way it will only get worse.

If they break away ans started a league with all the top teams and give up CL and Europa the EPL teams would be impacted more and have to come to table.

fergus90

Chelsea just spent over 200m and their most expensive signing in Havertz.

Both they and City have spent big despite covid and rich owners have allowed them to do it.

Yeah i'm referring to the price per player mate, think that peaked in 2018 with the aftermath of Neymar. Havertz was 75 mill granted but where they've only spent over ?60 mill on one player a couple times. We do that regularly in the last several years.

Last edited:

fergus90

They will want Liverpool/United etc but the top clubs in other countries wont sit back and let EPL take over financially and in terms of focus in way it will only get worse.

If they break away ans started a league with all the top teams and give up CL and Europa the EPL teams would be impacted more and have to come to table.

I'm not against the European Super League personally, the CL is pretty much predictable until the round of 16 every single year. The current format sleep walks its way to the Quarter finals really. It just never seems to get anywhere when spoken about.

JamDav1982

I'm not against the European Super League personally, the CL is pretty much predictable until the round of 16 every single year. The current format sleep walks its way to the Quarter finals really. It just never seems to get anywhere when spoken about.

Teams have often used it as to blackmail their own leagues and UEFA for CL money but now that is not the motivation. The other leagues are struggling to compete financially with EPL and are in danger of falling further and further behind.

I think it will happen fairly soon. Can wait and see.

Sterlingfan2000

People also underestimate the TV money u get from that deal.

Imagine the league on market likes China , India . American Investors already offered 5B a season according to Rumours. 5b!

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It will happen now or soon enough.

The EPL will end up being like NBA with all the top players and coaches moving there more and more while other leagues are poor and boring in comparison with 1/2 top teams and rest poor.

Situation will get worse and worse and EPL will keep growing.

It is inevitable top clubs in europe will want to do something about it.

Not sure how they will be able to do it. UEFA will not sanction it and FIFA wants the Club World Cup instead.

Exactly how will the EPL's dominance will be diminished if the Super League does get launched? Participating English clubs will quit the EPL so their TV money will go down?

It is a bad idea for smaller clubs.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The EPL's dominance comes from the HUUUUUGE TV/broadcast money they get which blows the other leagues out of the water. On matchday and commercial revenues, they are comparable with the other leagues.

So the only way to level the playing field is to take the big 6 out of the EPL and bring them to ESL or CWC or whatever competition/tournament that clubs from other leagues will also participate and negotiate TV deals as a whole. If they stay in the EPL their advantage over TV/broadcast income will likely to continue (perhaps only affected adversely slightly).

JamDav1982

The EPL's dominance comes from the HUUUUUGE TV/broadcast money they get which blows the other leagues out of the water. On matchday and commercial revenues, they are comparable with the other leagues.

So the only way to level the playing field is to take the big 6 out of the EPL and bring them to ESL or CWC or whatever competition/tournament that clubs from other leagues will also participate and negotiate TV deals as a whole. If they stay in the EPL their advantage over TV/broadcast income will likely to continue (perpah

If the CL ended and their was a European Super League with all the top teams other than those from EPL they would not like that one bit and would want to join.

They would be playing in a competition outwith the best in the world and be seen as sub par tournament.

The EPL would weaken even if teams all stayed in their domestic competitions with reduced calendar as would be seen as seocnd rate and have less games.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If the CL ended and their was a European Super League with all the top teams other than those from EPL they would not like that one bit and would want to join.

They would be playing in a competition outwith the best in the world and be seen as sub par tournament.

The EPL would weaken even if teams all stayed in their domestic competitions with reduced calendar as would be seen as seocnd rate and have less games.

Right, essentially taking the elite clubs from their respective national leagues (including La Liga), which will see those national leagues wither quite a bit. I don't think it is going to be good for us (Barca) in the end.

JamDav1982

Right, essentially taking the elite clubs from their respective national leagues (including La Liga), which will see those national leagues wither quite a bit. I don't think it is going to be good for us (Barca) in the end.

The national leagues fucked anyway.

Germany is a closed shop, as is France, La Liga outwith top four is drained of talent worse than ever before and even top four are declining.

These leagues are just becoming boring after thoughts for too many and getting drained year on year by EPL mid table sides.

The big clubs need to do something and a European Super League to take on the EPL is better than way it is going.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The national leagues fucked anyway.

Germany is a closed shop, as is France, La Liga outwith top four is drained of talent worse than ever before and even top four are declining.

These leagues are just becoming boring after thoughts for too many and getting drained year on year by EPL mid table sides.

The big clubs need to do something and a European Super League to take on the EPL is better than way it is going.

Hmmm. Still not sure how it will fly without any blessings from FIFA.

Home of Barca Fans