Jose Mourinho

serghei

He just loves us, deep down. Told you!

Yea, must have hurt him badly when we chose Pep instead of him. Form then on it became a love-hate relationship. It must be odd for him how everyone wants him except Barcelona. If we called him today, tomorrow he'd be in Barcelona signing the contract.

Leo_Messi

Yeah, Jose really didn't fail with RM tbh. Didn't have best ending but that is always the case for him

1 league title, 1 CDR title and 0 CL titles in 3 seasons cannot be considered as a success at all. That final horrible season was the cherry on the top. We all know under which circumstances that CdR final was won (with a legal Pedro goal ruled offside and extremely brutal play by RM that was not punished by Mallenco) and the many refereeing mistakes that went in RM's favor that season in the league. I remember articles showing that they would be second if not for those refereeing mistakes during that season.

Mourinho's greatest achievement was to make RM progress from the round of 16 but that was the least that you could expect from such a strong team on paper with such a history in the CL (their favorite tournament).

He was not a complete flop but far from being a success IMO. We are talking about that RM team like they were scrubs. They had the most expensive team back then and a very stacked team on every position. That we were better is no excuse.

Edit: Wolfie, never wrote that anyone wrote that he was a success but I have seen people write that he was so I was arguing from that perspective while saying that he was neither a success nor a flop. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just mediocre overall. With his greatest achievement being making RM advance further than from the Round of 16 that I recall you going out from 7 seasons in a row prior to his arrival in 2010.

Last edited:

Joan

I'm fully aware it's not going to happen... but I can't help wondering what if Mourinho came back? :lol: lots of fun

Leo_Messi

Returning to Madrid is not what I had in mind :lol: What if he took over Barca? :thinking: How would that look like?

See post 1517. No point in even speculating as no sane board (not even a drunk Gaspart) would sign him nor would our fanbase ever accept him. He is not the same either. Been on an ongoing downhill for years. He might still have something to offer a club like PSG (should they fail to win the CL this season or the next) or an Inter on the rise but even most Inter supporters don't want to see him return.
The Liverpool job is ruled out, the Man Utd as well, Man City won't touch him as long as "our" old boys are leading that club nor does he represent what they represent stylistically as a club, Chelsea even more doubtful. Arsenal? Same. Tottenham? Same. So England is pretty much ruled out for now.

Germany? Can't see him there and can't ever see clubs like Bayern or Dortmund appointing him. In France there is only PSG. In Italy Juve is ruled out and likewise AC Milan. Leaving him with only Inter. In Spain there is only RM as well.

Pretty much a has-been in many ways. Not getting any younger either. Would be very surprised to see him succeed (as in the old days) for a top club not named PSG.

He should reinvent himself or take up the job of a NT. Would have fit the Portugal of the old. Not sure now considering the many promising talents that they have. As we all know him and talent work is a bad combination.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

1 league title, 1 CDR title and 0 CL titles in 3 seasons cannot be considered as a success at all. That final horrible season was the cherry on the top. We all know under which circumstances that CdR final was won (with a legal Pedro goal ruled offside and extremely brutal play by RM that was not punished by Mallenco) and the many refereeing mistakes that went in RM's favor that season in the league. I remember articles showing that they would be second if not for those refereeing mistakes during that season.

Mourinho's greatest achievement was to make RM progress from the round of 16 but that was the least that you could expect from such a strong team on paper with such a history in the CL (their favorite tournament).

He was not a complete flop but far from being a success IMO. We are talking about that RM team like they were scrubs. They had the most expensive team back then and a very stacked team on every position. That we were better is no excuse.

Edit: Wolfie, never wrote that anyone wrote that he was a success but I have seen people write that he was so I was arguing from that perspective while saying that he was neither a success nor a flop. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just mediocre overall. With his greatest achievement being making RM advance further than from the Round of 16 that I recall you going out from 7 seasons in a row prior to his arrival in 2010.

As Wolfie said it isn't a success but not a failure. RM has won 1 league title in the next 5 (probably 6) years after him
He made RM able to challenge Barca again after being embarrassed for 2 years, made them a CL contender again.
You won't see many RM fans think he failed, given circumstances he helped them both in short and long term

Leo_Messi

As Wolfie said it isn't a success but not a failure. RM has won 1 league title in the next 5 (probably 6) years after him
He made RM able to challenge Barca again after being embarrassed for 2 years, made them a CL contender again.
You won't see many RM fans think he failed, given circumstances he helped them both in short and long term

I disagree. I don't think that (at the time) the most highly rated manager in the world, who just won the treble with Inter, later to take over the most valuable team (by far) back then (2010) and only managing 1 league title (full of controversy), 1 CdR final (same case) in 3 whole seasons (with the last one being an complete implosion expect for the CL) can be considered as anything else than mediocre. He helped RM turn it around in the CL but it was always a question of time with that squad. The year prior Pellegrini was rather unlucky to go out against Lyon in the round of 16.

RM certainly expected much more from Mourinho. Failure? Probably too harsh but definitely not a success and more close to a mediocre performance all things considered. Not even talking about the bad publicity, drama, his theatrics or the playing style by large. At the end of his reign (even before that) large sectors of the pro-RM media in Spain wanted him out as well as a large sector of the fans. If not for his open hatred shown towards us (that many RM fans and media embraced) his antics would have been stopped earlier.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I disagree. I don't think that (at the time) the most highly rated manager in the world, who just won the treble with Inter, later to take over the most valuable team (by far) back then (2010) and only managing 1 league title (full of controversy), 1 CdR final (same case) in 3 whole seasons (with the last one being an complete implosion expect for the CL) can be considered as anything else than mediocre. He helped RM turn it around in the CL but it was always a question of time with that squad. The year prior Pellegrini was rather unlucky to go out against Lyon in the round of 16.

RM certainly expected much more from Mourinho. Failure? Probably too harsh but definitely not a success and more close to a mediocre performance all things considered. Not even talking about the bad publicity, drama, his theatrics or the playing style by large.

Not sure about that man, I mean for example you don't rate what Pep has achieved with Bayern & City as mediocre when it is very close to RM with Mourinho. He even had way, way , way more expectation with them than Mourinho with RM.
And you can remove the "full of controversy" as teams don't care when it happens. No barca fan says Pep win 2009 CL "with controversy". No AM fan will point to disallowed goal in last game in 2014 league title. this shit happens and only those who was on wrong side of it remember it. even neutrals eventually forget
You - again- makes a statement full of personal opinion, but we are talking about the public perspective here. And it is in Mourinho's favor tbh

Leo_Messi

Not sure about that man, I mean for example you don't rate what Pep has achieved with Bayern & City as mediocre when it is very close to RM with Mourinho. He even had way, way , way more expectation with them than Mourinho with RM.
And you can remove the "full of controversy" as teams don't care when it happens. No barca fan says Pep win 2009 CL "with controversy". No AM fan will point to disallowed goal in last game in 2014 league title. this shit happens and only those who was on wrong side of it remember it. even neutrals eventually forget
You - again- makes a statement full of personal opinion, but we are talking about the public perspective here. And it is in Mourinho's favor tbh

Pep's time in Bayern cannot be considered mediocre by any means unless winning 3 league titles in 3 years, reaching 3 Cl-semifinals in a row (let us be honest here at no point did Bayern have the best squad in Europe in those seasons maybe with the exception of the 2013-14 season), and 2 domestic cups (as well as the other 2 smaller cups that he won such as the European Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup) in 3 seasons is "mediocre". Surely no sane person would have expected Bayern to win 3 CL's in a row competing with the two Spanish giants and Messi and Ronaldo, would they?

Mourinho's record is nowhere close. A reminder. That RM team from 2010 onwards was the most expensive team in Europe (by far) back then. What Mourinho just accomplished with Inter (treble) is most likely his best accomplishment to date. The hype was enormous and the narrative was that he came to stop our dominance. Something he failed at.

You are very much wrong. Fans in Spain, especially the two giants, very much care about how their manager behaves, the kind of football that their team is playing (maybe RM less) and the media narrative surounding their clubs. There was a reason why the El Clásico were more poisonous during Mourinho's era than ever before (arguably) and after. The Tito episode. His constant spats with the local media. His antics. To just brush it under the carpet is ridiculous as that did not occur back then.

That is your personal opinion. I am yet to see anyone rate his time at RM other than as mediocre. We have been operating with failure, mediocre and success in this debate. Clearly his stint belongs in the mediocre category and closer to failure than success given the expectations and what I wrote above.

Only seen English media (at the time) consider his stint anything else other than mediocre and that had more to do with them having had (historically) a love for him. Something that is no longer the case after his meltdowns of recent years and failures.

Unlike Pep who is creating history in England while we speak during an era where the league has never had as many great/good managers at once and with more money floating around in the league than ever and with even the likes of Liverpool spending big money. All while competing on all fronts (all 4 tournaments). Winning one of them, being a favorite for the FA Cup and the EPL title. Not exactly what I would call "mediocre". Coming off from a record season in the same EPL.
Like with Bayern (even less so) the current City team is not even better than that of PSG on paper so expecting them to win the CL, if not it will be a failure, is ridiculous as well. However we already had that discussion before.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans