Jose Manuel Pinto

AvocadoCake

Thinking ahead, Wojciech Szczesny would be a decent replacement if he keeps being used for less than ~70% of games (66% this year, 25/38) and Pinto indeed leaves/retires in 2014, with Szczesny's contract ending in 2014.

e28makaveli

I hope you're not serious. Pinto from 2 seasons ago maybe, but not at his current form/age. He would do well in La Liga, but what about Champions League?

37 is still relatively playable for goal keeping. All you are required to do now and then is jump and dive. Edwin Van Der Sar did it till his 40's if memory serves.

Kerrybai

37 is still relatively playable for goal keeping. All you are required to do now and then is jump and dive. Edwin Van Der Sar did it till his 40's if memory serves.

99% of keepers only need that ability, but as a Barca keeper you need to be a sweeper... and that requires a special set of skills that many keepers would take large steps to avoid

Stric

99% of keepers only need that ability, but as a Barca keeper you need to be a sweeper... and that requires a special set of skills that many keepers would take large steps to avoid

I agree that in Barca a keeper has to be somewhat more skillful in this respect, but we've been hearing about this way too much recently. It's disgustingly pretentious. All of a sudden, some of the best keepers and coaches and wingers and whoever just wouldn't fit in Barca, because we're so special. Give me a break. Barca plays the same sport every other football team does. If you can't handle a few backpasses every now and then, chances are you were never a good top-level keeper in the first place.

Anyways, I agree with makaveli... A keeper can get away with growing old more than any other player can.

0n0mat0p0eia

Barca keeper being a sweeper...meh! It just requires a starting position nearer the 18-yard line.

Looking at a ball coming to you and a player running on to it, and judging whether you will reach it first and running and hoofing the ball up field...not exactly working on the large Hadron Collider.

Any keeper with a modicum of judgement could play this kind of game.

Stric

Barca keeper being a sweeper...meh! It just requires a starting position nearer the 18-yard line.

Looking at a ball coming to you and a player running on to it, and judging whether you will reach it first and running and hoofing the ball up field...not exactly working on the large Hadron Collider.

Any keeper with a modicum of judgement could play this kind of game.

Pretty much. Besides, this entire theory about how many keepers wouldn't fit in Barca because we need some mystical special kind of keeper actually suggests that a 0.5 million Pinto (who I love, by the way) is a better keeper for Barca than the likes of Casillas, Buffon, Neuer, Czech, etc. would be.

e28makaveli

Agreed but Pinto does manage well enough in that department. That is one Valdes attribute that will be hard to replace.

Last edited:

CatalinR10

BOaWBm5CIAAz3_m.jpg:large

:pinto:

Home of Barca Fans