Jordi Alba

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Unfortunately, the question of Abidal returning is not when, but if. I believe we all definitely wish him a full recovery, but it's still uncertain whether he will ever be able to perform at top level again. He's not the youngest player in the squad, either. But as someone pointed out earlier, I can definitely see him playing central defense if he does return. We have four top quality fullbacks at our disposal, and we're short on CBs.

And to be fair, Alba has totally earned the starting spot... He has made our LB spot his little bitch and I really don't see any other player taking it away except for rotation/suspension situations...

Stric

And to be fair, Alba has totally earned the starting spot... He has made our LB spot his little bitch and I really don't see any other player taking it away except for rotation/suspension situations...

Absolutely. Hope to see him in the starting line-up by default. Abidal, on the other hand, provides balance in contrast to the attack minded Alves, but so far Alba on one side and Alves/Montoya/Adriano (my favourite is Montoya atm) seem to be working fine. As far as I'm concerned, Alba is the best left back in the world now.

PacoBJuarez

Absolutely. Hope to see him in the starting line-up by default. Abidal, on the other hand, provides balance in contrast to the attack minded Alves, but so far Alba on one side and Alves/Montoya/Adriano (my favourite is Montoya atm) seem to be working fine. As far as I'm concerned, Alba is the best left back in the world now.

Agree with just about all of that. No offense to Ashley Cole, as in his prime he was an incredible player and without a doubt the best LB in the world, but he's been slipping in form of late. Alba's definitely in the conversation, along with Lahm depending on whether or not you want to classify him as a RB or LB, with the aging but still obviously quaility Evra and Cole.

Boris

Evra and Cole are much more defensive minded then Jordi.
Alba is a fu%king dynamo, in my eyes our second left winger. And he never seems to get tired. Aaand he is very good at passing and control, if u look at Evra or Cole for comparison. What more would you ask of LB

Stric

Yeah, I agree. Alba could easily play as a left winger. Like he used to, if I'm not mistaken. The amount of space he covers, and at such pace, is just amazing.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Playing him exclusively as a LW would totally defeat his purpose, like when Pep played Dani RW...

The whole idea of WBs bombing forward is to provide an extra player in attack, giving our team a surprise element and an alternative to pass the ball, all of which is lost if we play Alba far up the pitch... Not to mention he couldn't use his speed coming from behind which gives him an advantage over defenders...

Stric

Yes, of course. I wasn't suggesting he should play as a LW, I was just saying he could if for someone reason the squad needed him to.

E

estranged

Adding to the earlier discussion of Abidal's possible return and what it would mean for Alba, well we could use Abidal as a permanent CB. He wasn't his best at CB, but it's always good to have competition there, and for me he would be better than Mascherano or Song at CB.

X

xaviniesta

you are just as good as your last game was. thats how people are thinking here basicly...

Home of Barca Fans