Jordi Alba

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Once again, the problem is he really isn't a defender, at least not first. He's an upgrade over Adriano. But that does nothing to fill the Abidal-shaped hole in our defense.

Playing with 2 wingbacks, when Barca usually has a very attack-centric, midget midfield, is problematic. If we are switching to a 3-4-3 system full time than sure, unleash the wingbacks and pray that Puyol holds up at least another few years, but in a 4 man backline, the way Barca plays, using two wingbacks at all times is dangerous.

Why are we obsessed with him? because he played once for us?
Basically this, he's a Catalan who was partially developed by Barca (before they gave up on him) so it will allow cules to continue the smug self-righteousness that half the team is "home grown", even if it's true the same way Athletic Bilbao takes advantage of smaller Basque clubs to make their team have values or something.

Juan Arango ‏ @JuanG_Arango Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
jordi alba will move to Barça. Move to be made official at end of season. First signing of Vilanova era.

La Masia ‏ @Youngcules Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Barcelona have closed a deal with Valencia left back Jordi Alba for €13M. Transfer to be announced at end of season. (via gentevalencia)

Do you have any real sources? I'm not sure people should be celebrating because the Catalan version of incarceratedbob says so.

Edit: I see the story on Sport. But not a word on Mundo Deportivo, Superdeporte or the Madrid based tabloids makes me wonder if this is a signing or them tapping him up.

To put it in context, the Barca and Madrid tabloids both claimed Villa signed with their respective club hundreds of times before it happened. I trust Superdeporte here more than Sport, sorry.

Last edited:
Z

ZiZu

I'd prefer we went for Bayern's left back Albeta or or something .... or even there other full back Lahn who can play either position .

Sorry about the spellings of the players btw

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Okay so the rumors are all over that we have signed Alba and are in for Llorente?

I like it. Exchanging Cesc for Hummels would complete the team now ;)

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Calm down a bit people. We did not close the deal . We are not even close. Only second round of talks happened . If it doesn't happen this year , 2013 it will happen. But chances are very high this year.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Once again, the problem is he really isn't a defender, at least not first. He's an upgrade over Adriano. But that does nothing to fill the Abidal-shaped hole in our defense.

Playing with 2 wingbacks, when Barca usually has a very attack-centric, midget midfield, is problematic. If we are switching to a 3-4-3 system full time than sure, unleash the wingbacks and pray that Puyol holds up at least another few years, but in a 4 man backline, the way Barca plays, using two wingbacks at all times is dangerous.

Basically this, he's a Catalan who was partially developed by Barca (before they gave up on him) so it will allow cules to continue the smug self-righteousness that half the team is "home grown", even if it's true the same way Athletic Bilbao takes advantage of smaller Basque clubs to make their team have values or something.

Do you have any real sources? I'm not sure people should be celebrating because the Catalan version of incarceratedbob says so.

Edit: I see the story on Sport. But not a word on Mundo Deportivo, Superdeporte or the Madrid based tabloids makes me wonder if this is a signing or them tapping him up.

To put it in context, the Barca and Madrid tabloids both claimed Villa signed with their respective club hundreds of times before it happened. I trust Superdeporte here more than Sport, sorry.

There is a clause attached with Alba. If we don't get him this year or we don't reach an agreement this year, we will for sure have him on 2013 . But this year chances are high. Second round of talks just finished. And the 13M deal already signed/closed with alba is simply bullshit. Sport reported the same on February and this has been going on since then. But the deal did not happen. But I think it will happen in coming weeks though.

Sports just did a recycle .

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Alba is not like an ideal signing... But I won't complain if we signed him.

He can bench Alves, being a left sided Alves himself... and then bringing in Bartra as the right handed Abi would add another dimension to our attack. We are too predictable now, attacking mostly from the right side

gingerless

He can bench Alves, being a left sided Alves himself... and then bringing in Bartra as the right handed Abi would add another dimension to our attack. We are too predictable now, attacking mostly from the right side

what the heck are you on about? bench alves? bartra? we don't need kids in the defense. there's nothing wrong with attacking from the right either, we just haven't been doing it properly is all, constantly going through the middle (in the chelsea game) and playing alves on the wings was the worst thing we could do. alves is supposed to be overlapping a winger on the right hand side, not playing one. he's absolute shit as a winger, we should use him like we did last year and the year before that and the year before that year. he is no threat starting as a winger/ half arsed midfielder, he is only dangerous coming in suddenly and making surprise runs into space, if he's constantly there in midfield/wing position, the defenders know where he's going to be and don't have to worry about him. we need to use him to exploit space the likes of pedro/cuenca/alexis create on the right which hasn't been happening for a while now.

having said that, alba is good at doing that, but we need solidity in defense right now we're way too shaky without abidal

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Agreed with gingy, plus last few performances of alves was pretty frustrating . I think, those were the worst of the season. gave up possession each time . And we don't do long balls from the right side of the corner , we play short passes so that ball reaches the central are of the box (mostly ) ... i think he just forgot our philosophy and started giving long balls with negative accuracy from the right side and it was a disaster for us.

abual3bed1

I like the idea so much.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
what the heck are you on about? bench alves? bartra? we don't need kids in the defense. there's nothing wrong with attacking from the right either, we just haven't been doing it properly is all, constantly going through the middle (in the chelsea game) and playing alves on the wings was the worst thing we could do. alves is supposed to be overlapping a winger on the right hand side, not playing one. he's absolute shit as a winger, we should use him like we did last year and the year before that and the year before that year. he is no threat starting as a winger/ half arsed midfielder, he is only dangerous coming in suddenly and making surprise runs into space, if he's constantly there in midfield/wing position, the defenders know where he's going to be and don't have to worry about him. we need to use him to exploit space the likes of pedro/cuenca/alexis create on the right which hasn't been happening for a while now.

having said that, alba is good at doing that, but we need solidity in defense right now we're way too shaky without abidal

Impressive. Ginger outposting Estel :omg:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

I only suggested an alternative, what's wrong with you!? We need to have alternatives for rotation purposes and to surprise the opponents. Like Emery the dracula fuck always, I repeat ALWAYS, starts with two full backs on their left flank.. Know why? Just so he reduces the threat of Alves, and it works most of the times! When he does that, only the superior quality of our players saves our asses!!

Anyway, Alves as a winger = shit. Any full back as a winger is shit, generally. I really don't udnerstand when a manager wants to play an attacking full back as a winger, they lose their main weapon that way!!

Impressive. Ginger outposting Estel :omg:

Don't you worry my friend... I got this ;)

Last edited:

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Alba would be a decent signing at best IMO.

We need someone more capable as a defender, replacing Abidal isn't easy...

Seems to me he'll be another 'Barca-DNA' syndrome kind of signing...

B

barcelonista

For € 13 million I won't complain. Although I don't prefer Alba at all, Adriano is very injury prone. We need depth on that position anyway. Considering that Puyol at 34 can't be a starter for a 60+ games season anymore, I can't say I'll be happy with a backline of Alves-Pique-Mascherano-Alba. 2 midget wingbacks, a midget makeshift defender ... and Pique. That doesn't bode well at all defensively.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I only like the idea of signing Alba if we are able to get a central defender to go w/ him like Thiago Silva or Javi Martínez. I think Martínez has really shined in his new role under Bielsa this season and think he would be a perfect fit and cheaper than Thiago Silva. I would be ecstatic with either, though.

Home of Barca Fans