Jack Grealish

jamrock

No one will ever rate English players as highly as the English do until they play a decisive role in their team either winning on the national level or a CL.

Last English player to do that at club level was probably Gerrard.

Until then they're all overrate, big names that come up small in big moments.

jamrock

Can say the same about all the countries with a powerful Football media.

Gavi and Pedri were hailed as the new Xavi Iniesta last year.

If anything the Spanish media heavily influences the Balon d or lobby too.
Gavi & pedri are 18 & 20 respectively, even if they will becomes the next Xavi & iniesta thats 5+ years away.

Temptation

No one will ever rate English players as highly as the English do until they play a decisive role in their team either winning on the national level or a CL.

Yet people don't rate Gerrard in Barca Forum.

TAA was immense in our CL winning season but people have an agenda against him.

Non English people were raving about him and his technical ability too if you remember.

jamrock

Yet people don't rate Gerrard in Barca Forum.

TAA was immense in our CL winning season but people have an agenda against him.

Non English people were raving about him and his technical ability too if you remember.

People don't rate Gerrard & TAA because the frame of reference the English use to rate them is ridiculous,

They compared Gerrard to Xavi, he's losing that every time and will only serve to get people angry in the process.

They had the gule to compare TAA to dani freaking Alves.

Personally I rate Gerrard as one of the best midfielders of his generation, I suspect most here & just generally in Europe do as well.

I'm taking Gerrard over ballack every day of the week for example.

But when the comparisons are with the best of all time, Fans will start throwing dirt his way.

Porque

Spanish only rate British players if they learn the language. Ask anyone in Spain and the best two English players ever were Steve Mcmanaman and Vinny Samways.

Temptation

People don't rate Gerrard & TAA because the frame of reference the English use to rate them is ridiculous,

They compared Gerrard to Xavi, he's losing that every time and will only serve to get people angry in the process.

They had the gule to compare TAA to dani freaking Alves.

Personally I rate Gerrard as one of the best midfielders of his generation, I suspect most here & just generally in Europe do as well.

I'm taking Gerrard over ballack every day of the week for example.

But when the comparisons are with the best of all time, Fans will start throwing dirt his way.

Even Wikipedia says Gerrard is one of the greatest midfielders ever though. He's the most complete footballer I have seen. Can do everything on a Football Pitch and to a very high level(not a jack of all trades and master of none). Like Roy Keane once said, Gerrard could play 4-5 positions on the pitch and be World Class in all of them.

Plus, one of the most clutch players ever. Carried a dogshit team and always turned up on the big occasion.

Also has more bangers than any midfielder of his era. Gerrard used to score stunning goals very frequently.

Don't understand why people always bring team achievements in rating individuals especially with players like Gerrard and Totti who every big club wanted.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Gerrard was one of the best midfielders of his era for sure.

One of the greatest ever though? I don't know about that........ What are we even talking about then? Top five of all-time? Top 10 of all time? Top 15?

Like where is the cut-off for "one of the greatest midfielders ever"?

jamrock

One of the best of his generations surely
Best ever? No, unless we are extending that list to 20+ midfielders.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'd say the cut-off should be at top 10 maximum.

Is Gerrard a top ten midfielder of all-time? I don't believe so.

I mean just from Stevie G's own generation or the generation overlapping from the beginning and the end of his career there's guys like Zidane, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Luka Modric who I would put above him easily. Busquets too IMO.

So now we have six already and not even counting other greats such as Rijkaard, Seedorf, Matthaus, Davids, Laudrup, and so on it goes....

Last edited:

Jenks

Lmao have you seen the John Stones thread? Guardiola has turned a CB into prime Busquets for half a season and when I went in there no one had replied since 2021.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I don't hate English players at all, but I find Jack's play incredibly uninspiring and thought the same even when he was at Villa. I think that he will not be City first choice by the start of 2024 at the very latest. Pep will push himself to make 1 or 2 changes to freshen things up and he will be the prime candidate.

As for Bellingham, I actually expect him to start off fairy well but, as the league gets used to what type of player he is, he will tail off and end up as a somewhat disappointing signing. This could take as long as a season to occur though.

jamrock

Lmao have you seen the John Stones thread? Guardiola has turned a CB into prime Busquets for half a season and when I went in there no one had replied since 2021.

I'm pretty sure the broad praised Stones in the CL trend, no one was gonna dig up his trend, but they did give him credit.

PS. The whole prime busquets things go to exactly what I was talking about re English fans always use the wrong frame of reference to try scale English players, if you try to get too close to the sun, you will always get burnt.

Though I understand generally what you were trying to get at, but English fans will look you dead in the face & say he was as good as better than print busquets for x time and man it literally.

Home of Barca Fans