Ivan Rakitić

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
His primary job is not to create but to bring defensive stability and work to the team. He's doing exactly that.

No, just because that's what he does doesn't mean that's what his job is. We need midfielders that can do both, and this "Rakitic is hindered because he has to cover for a piss defensive RB" idea is getting quickly disproven.

He simply isn't a strong orchestrating presence in his position, barely even an average one. It's so rare that forward progression on our right side ever comes from Rakitic and he spends more time drifting either very wide, forward, or deep to be a supporting outlet which is frankly not what we need. We need someone who occupies that space well in possession and can help us move forward with passing between the lines and maybe dribbling. Our midfielders should be good primary ball handlers and be capable of running the offensive progression on their side, not just a 'helping hand' weak supporting player.

Messi983

I'm pretty sure his major task is to connect the game.

He's doing that as well.

People complain about him playing it "safe", "sideways",... but on the other hand they want to keep more possession. With what he's doing he actually helps us keep possesion but people would probably like him to try more risky passes which would lead to more lost balls and reduce our possession.

No, just because that's what he does doesn't mean that's what his job is. We need midfielders that can do both, and this "Rakitic is hindered because he has to cover for a piss defensive RB" idea is getting quickly disproven.

He simply isn't a strong orchestrating presence in his position, barely even an average one. It's so rare that forward progression on our right side ever comes from Rakitic and he spends more time drifting either very wide, forward, or deep to be a supporting outlet which is frankly not what we need. We need someone who occupies that space well in possession and can help us move forward with passing between the lines and maybe dribbling. Our midfielders should be good primary ball handlers and be capable of running the offensive progression on their side, not just a 'helping hand' weak supporting player.

He's still doing what he was used to do under Lucho but he's playing different this season and once the season will progress I believe we'll see more of his attacking qualities as well. He's shown them in Sevilla where he played in more advanced role but he didn't need to do that under Lucho because his offensive system was mostly based on getting the ball to MSN as quick as possible and let them do their magic.

I also criticised him last season when he underperformed (but at the same time I thought this was much more on Lucho's non-system and not having a real RB for most of the season so he had to play as some kind of right wide midfielder to compensate for that) but I've seen improvement from him in last 4 games. He's not Xavi and will never be and people who expect him to control the game same way will always be disappointed with his performances but Rakitić is still a very valuable player for us. And until Roberto or Paulinho will prove they are better at his position I think he'll stay a starter. But at the same time I also believe Paulinho's arrival (as much as people don't like him I think Rakitić see him as his direct competition) and Roberto moving back to midfield has also influenced on Rakitić to improve his game because he knew he'll have to prove himself again to the new coach. He's doing that for now.

jumping_box

Need more from Rakitic. I don't see much of creativity which is needed in the game. One of the demand which midfielders should have in the pitch is to create space for attackers by either demanding more from them. This usually happens when the midfielders see the pitch , visualise where strikers can possible be and pass the ball there. More and more demand midfielders ask for , the striker will push themselves to fit into the scope. Rakitic aint making such demand , should learn from ageing Iniesta.

We need better but right now he and Iniesta are the best CMs we have. I hope Valverde rests Iniesta frequently at least. He doesn't have the legs to play 50-60 games a season any more.

raskolnikov

I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind why we went for Rakitic rather than world-cup winner Kroos
Rakitic was a very good player at sevilla. I get why we went for him allthough he would be a great rotationplayer like sergi Roberto rather than undisputed starter.

BBZ8800

He has a new haircolor:
ewBqTlY2tLiiVEyC50ZMW4.jpg

ASordidGod

Needs replacing long term, sure, but he's been pretty decent the last few games. Though I do wish he'd take-and-turn a lot more, rather than playing a safe first time pass.

Home of Barca Fans