Ivan Rakitić

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
All this talk about our midfield being weak... It is just because MSN is such an incredible force and the 3 guys behind them just fly under the radar. I love our midfield.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
All this talk about our midfield being weak... It is just because MSN is such an incredible force and the 3 guys behind them just fly under the radar. I love our midfield.

I've grown to love our midfield in these past 4 months as well. Still, that first half of the Clasico where our midfield got dominated by RM's leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I know that a very large part of that is due to Masch having to play for the injured Busquets, but even then it makes me aware to the fact that Busi is the closest thing we have to a ball-dominant midfielder these days. Rakitic is performing his support role to perfection and adds a lot to our team but I feel like Iniesta is, in some sense, growing expendable to this system. That's why I seriously hope we find a solution in the coming season. If we rely on youth then I pray Samper gets that CM shift we've been waiting for and he delivers as a deputy. If it's a transfer then I hope Gundogan reclaims his former level (I don't see Pogba coming in January, and even then he's really not a ball-dominant midfielder). Iniesta is a legend but we need to look ahead.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Yeah Iniesta has a different role than before and you can tell it is not perfectly suited to his strengths but he is still capable of doing the new job. But we definitely need to get someone who could take Iniesta's spot and compete with him.

Jombi

Yeah Iniesta has a different role than before and you can tell it is not perfectly suited to his strengths but he is still capable of doing the new job. But we definitely need to get someone who could take Iniesta's spot and compete with him.

Who would be better than Rakitic's compatriot Kovacic in that role?

Neymessi

Never expected him to do so well.Also never thought that I would want him more than kroos after the season would end

Kohe321

Well, someone is spending his second day off in an awesome way!

11273054_1128098000539428_618996854_n.jpg

IG Rakitic: "We never stop growing! There are already a million of us! Hopefully we can celebrate it with the Champions League title we all dream of. A big hug to everyone!"

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Well, someone is spending his second day off in an awesome way!

11273054_1128098000539428_618996854_n.jpg

IG Rakitic: "We never stop growing! There are already a million of us! Hopefully we can celebrate it with the Champions League title we all dream of. A big hug to everyone!"

Barcelona is not only the best club in the world, but also the best city in the world!

You can never go wrong signing with us :)

Stric

Barcelona is not only the best club in the world, but also the best city in the world!

You can never go wrong signing with us :)

I agree. If I was a player and several clubs wanted to sign me, FCB being one of them, the city would definitely be a factor in deciding.

namaria

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid/261/524/9/index.html

Enjoying a fine first season at FC Barcelona, with La Liga and Copa del Rey titles already in the bag, Ivan Rakitic is a man clearly very content with his lot. The Croatian midfielder’s first term in Azulgrana colours is also threatening to become even more spectacular, should Luis Enrique’s charges triumph in Saturday’s UEFA Champions League final against Juventus.

Having appeared in 50 of his club’s 59 games this campaign, the Barça No4 has certainly played his part in their success. And mere days prior to the showpiece final in Berlin, the ex-Sevilla star spoke exclusively – and enthusiastically – to FIFA.com about the Juve clash, life at Barcelona and his career in general

FIFA.com: Ivan, your Spanish is truly excellent. What was the key to settling so quickly in Spain and La Liga?
When I first touched down in Seville I had no idea where I was moving to. I’d looked at the map and knew a bit about the team’s history, but right from the first few days I started to understand what the club and the city were about. And that’s before I spoke any Spanish at all! To be honest, I didn’t expect to settle so quickly and so well. Particularly because in Andalusia people speak with a very distinctive accent, I can still remember how much of a challenge it was to speak to my team-mates Jesus Navas and Juan Cala! [Editor’s note: Navas and Cala were all born in or near Seville].

You have Croatian roots but were born in Switzerland. Do you think that your background makes you better at taking change in your stride?
It’s been said to me many times that those of us from the Balkans have a special talent for adapting, and that might well be true. But in my case, I think it comes down to the people around me. Having been able to make such good friends and start a family has been crucial.

Prior to joining Sevilla you were at German club Schalke, though your performances there were not as eye-catching as after you came to Spain. What made the difference do you think?
Yes, I must admit that it’s here that I’ve really made the breakthrough, but each and every stage of my career has been important – they’ve all helped me grow as a player. The style of play in La Liga definitely made it easier for me, while it also turned out that when I signed for Sevilla and later Barcelona, both clubs were going through transition periods, which meant that I could take on greater responsibility more quickly. That gave me a huge amount of confidence.

At Barcelona you are enjoying, arguably, the highest point of your career. Did you expect to become so important to the team in such a short space of time?
To be honest, I didn’t want to set my hopes too high. My approach wasn’t to have big dreams [about what might happen], instead I focused on savouring the experience. But I was also very aware that to be a regular starter you have to earn it. At Sevilla I always wanted to play, often even when I was injured, going against medical opinion, and that’s always been my attitude: to grit my teeth and be ready whenever I’m needed. That’s what I work for and what I live for too.

Tell us a little bit about Luis Enrique, as there has not been as much spoken about his coaching style, compared with the coaches at some other big clubs…
He’s a very hard-working man. He doesn’t leave any stone unturned and always tries to make sure we’re as well-prepared as we possibly can be. He’s one of those coaches who knows how to get the best out of every player, and that’s something that comes across immediately. That’s why we believe in him so much and it’s how we’ve been able to stick together right to the end.

And in specific footballing terms, what has he asked of you in particular since you joined?
Well, for me, the first thing I had to understand was that to my right I have the best player of all time [Lionel Messi]. And because he’s such a special player, his movement is different to any other wide player in the world. What’s more, I’ve also got the best full-back around by my side too [in Dani Alves], who often plays like another attacker. So, one of my main tasks is to be able to judge each situation to see what’s needed from me at a given moment. Often what’s required is to let other players shine, while putting your own ability at the service of the team.

(Suddenly Xavi appears and greets Rakitic as he passes by) Let us seize this chance to ask you what it’s been like playing alongside perhaps the best midfielder in world football history?
There’s no perhaps about it, he’s the best! (Laughs). He’s something else. It’s been a huge privilege learning from him, not just on the pitch but off it: the way he handles himself, the way he prepares for games… He’s a player who’s a one-off, I’m so grateful for everything he’s done for me and I wish him all the very best.

In the past Barcelona’s midfield had earned most plaudits, while now the attacking triumvirate is hogging the headlines. Would you like there to be more recognition of the work put in by the midfielders?
It’s normal [that they catch the eye], they’re brilliant! As long as we’re winning, that’s what matters. The club spent a lot of money in getting hold of the best attackers in the world, so it’s only natural people talk about them. The most important thing is that when we win, we win together, and that’s something that all of us understand perfectly. And well, if people end up speaking a little bit about the rest of us too, all the better! (Laughs).

Barça have won La Liga and La Copa del Rey this season and will shortly play in the Champions League final, but it hasn’t all been smooth sailing. How did the squad manage to stay on track even at difficult moments?
I’ve always said that you’ve got to enjoy being at Barça. You have to come here each day with a smile on your face and go home with an even broader one. I can’t understand how anyone could be fed up here. Everything we’ve got at this club is incredible: the best players in the world, top-class fans and wonderful facilities. The season is long and up-and-downs are to be expected, particularly because there were a lot of changes before it started. It’s been important to keep our composure and our self-belief, and it’s no coincidence that we’ve found our best form late in the season.

And how will you be approaching the final versus Juventus in Berlin?
To be honest, by staying totally calm. It’s what we’ve been working towards. We want to win, we know Juve very well and have enormous respect for them, but we’ve only got one thing on our minds and that’s winning. This is a final and we’re Barcelona – we mustn’t think any other way!

That said, you must be a bit excited, right?
Yes of course, but without ever losing our cool. All the work we’ve put in so far means that we can approach this final with a lot of composure. Everything’s gone well for us so far that way, and there’s no reason for that to change. We can let our emotions run wild if we get our hands on the trophy, but there’s a match to play first.

One last question: what do you see yourself doing come the final whistle next Saturday?
(Laughs) I don’t like to think so far ahead! Ok then, I hope that I’ll be hugging one of my team-mates celebrating winning the title and looking forward to getting my hands on the cup – because I’m really desperate to get hold of it!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans