Ivan Rakitić

Rory

In his last 8 cameos for Barca, Barca conceded 0 goals when he was on a field.

Getafe 2:0, 10 mins
Sevilla 4:0, 20 mins
Eibar 3:0, 11 mins
Slavia 2:1, 6 mins
Valladolid 5:1, 30 mins
Slavia 0:0, 22 mins
Leganes 2:1, 33 minutes

122 minutes plus 3-4 minutes of injury time in every match.
Which is around 150 minutes in a row with Rakitic without conceded goals.
Not bad considering how many goals we are conceding lately.

Not trying to shit on rakitic here, I think he was alright today but 150 minutes would still be a small sample size.

Also got to factor in the games he entered. 2-0 Getafe 10 mins to go, game was pretty much already over, sevilla 4-0 game is over. Eibar 3-0 game is over. Slavia ok, decent 6 mins because they would have been attacking. Valladolid 5-1, enters at 3-1, again you could say decent 30, because still plenty of the match to play. Slavia 0-0, brought on to get a goal not to not concede so don't think these minutes can be used as a for Rakitic argument. Leganes game today as I think he played fairly well.

So really there's only about 70 mins of playing ok-decent and nothing more. Would be interested in seeing him start with frenkie and arthur/vidal though, far less complacent than busquets is

KingLeo10

In his last 8 cameos for Barca, Barca conceded 0 goals when he was on a field.

Getafe 2:0, 10 mins
Sevilla 4:0, 20 mins
Eibar 3:0, 11 mins
Slavia 2:1, 6 mins
Valladolid 5:1, 30 mins
Slavia 0:0, 22 mins
Leganes 2:1, 33 minutes

122 minutes plus 3-4 minutes of injury time in every match.
Which is around 150 minutes in a row with Rakitic without conceded goals.
Not bad considering how many goals we are conceding lately.

By that logic, all of the attacking substitutions are also defensive stalwarts and the credit should go to them as much as Raki. Because they come in for 10-20 when the game's usually won and we don't concede anything in those last few minutes.

Do you realize what a ridiculous logic this is for assessing midfield quality?

Here's an appetizer for you: Maybe I should credit the 3-0 win v Liverpool to Dembele because he came in the last 30 mins and we didn't concede. While Raki played all 90 at Pool and we conceded 4. HMM.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Look past goals conceded. The games against Slavia were dumb luck for example.

What to look for?
Give me whatever you want.

If we use stats, a new duo from this season is shit in individual stats, team's stats and eye test defensive contributions.

Is there any way besides eye test, individual stats and team's stats to argue about anything?
Or we will use EV is an idiot and you don't understand football remarks?

Regarding Serghei's remark about Anfield.
Rakitic is at least capable to defensively control midfield in La liga which he has shown in EV's years or in his 5 Barca's seasons.

Once when our babysitter was removed for technically fancier and younger players, we are defensively fragile.

Can you count 2 away matches this season where our new midfield wasn't all over the place?
Raki can't survive Anfield.
Yet a new midfield duo can't defensively hold midfield against any La liga team in defensive sense.

But, I know, you will reply: EV.

How come that Rakitic can cover better and bring more stability even in this season, even.though EV is his coach also?
Is he the only player who understands EV's ideas?

Or... there are others, quite simpler explanations:
Busi is even worse than Raki.
Frenkie is leaving his position and ventures into attack, unlike babysitter Raki who is mostly on his too deep position.
Arthur either rushes into pressuring the opponents or sucks in actual covering, tackles, interceptions and headers.

But please, feel free to use EV card for everything.

You guys will be quite shocked when we'll have a new coach and favorite players will have the same flaws as today.

CatalinR10

the day this guy leaves barcelona is the day i will buy myself an old Dom Perignon and fist myself with it out of enthusiasm dawgs

Hopefully that day comes soon enough.

serghei

But, I know, you will reply: EV.

How come that Rakitic can cover better and bring more stability even in this season, even.though EV is his coach also?
Is he the only player who understands EV's ideas?

Lol, prime Peter Crouch would do better for a team who plays with crosses non stop, than Messi would. Is your point in this case that Crouch is better, or that the manager is crap for playing with crosses with Messi in the team?

How you play as a team dictates how effective will certain players be. When you have premium technical players who shine in controlling the play through possession and move well, and you play in a way which is completely opposite from what they do best, you will limit these players.

It's crazy that you need these things explained. It's obvious.

Last edited:

JohnN

Recap. Rakitic was good today. This is the first game he has been good since.. Real Madrid last year maybe? I can't remember honestly. So, ditch Arthur and FDJ because Rakitic manages to play decently, mind you not great by any means, against Leganes, while being one of the very few guys who got a rest and didn't play any international games. I'm I following the logic correctly?

mladenq

could be, yeah, i think when people say rakitic played a good game they actually mean he didn't make some god-awful mistakes

edit: lol, i just read what this bbz guy is rambling about above, jeez...

Last edited:

Nazario1985

The bar is just incredibly low for him. Arthur gets destroyed for games like this.

The bar is low compared to other players in the squad !

Rakitic in 2015 was an average player in the squad compared to what we had, now he is a quality player compared to what we have right now.

xXKonan

The bar is low compared to other players in the squad !

Rakitic in 2015 was an average player in the squad compared to what we had, now he is a quality player compared to what we have right now.
No he isn't it's actually the opposite now.

The options we had around that time weren't challenging him and he was fine. Now? He hasn't shown anything to suggest he's a better option than the likes of Arthur and De Jong, he's nowhere near as mobile and agile as both of them are, not good enough on the ball like those two. Not really hard to look good in comparison to someone like Busi really.

He hasn't been good defensively in ages either, it's a myth that he's somehow a defensive beast, it was propagandized by a certain poster on this board that Rakitic is somehow some defensive beast even though we still got cut through like no tomorrow when he played.

Vilarrubi

No he isn't it's actually the opposite now.

The options we had around that time weren't challenging him and he was fine. Now? He hasn't shown anything to suggest he's a better option than the likes of Arthur and De Jong, he's nowhere near as mobile and agile as both of them are, not good enough on the ball like those two. Not really hard to look good in comparison to someone like Busi really.

He hasn't been good defensively in ages either, it's a myth that he's somehow a defensive beast, it was propagandized by a certain poster on this board that Rakitic is somehow some defensive beast even though we still got cut through like no tomorrow when he played.

Agree, back in 2014/15 Rakitic was a stand out player in La Liga. Probably top 10.

devo901

I think we all agree that Mr. Rakitic is not in good form, especially after the game yesterday vs. Levante where he blundered and gave away many balls.

However I do not care, if we have a "not in form"-player on the bench/stands or not. This will not solve the problem that we do not score enough goals and as long Messi and Griez do not work together and create chances, until then, Barca has a BIG problem
...we save our butt with set plays, but in CL this wont work.

Suarez needs clear chances to convert ... Raktic was not an assist machine, to my knownledge anyhow...so he wont contribute to the problem/or solving it.

Home of Barca Fans