Ivan Rakitić

JerseyAddict

Overall he was a good signing. The problem for me is that he should've been made a squad player like he is now a year earlier. And this mistake has cost us a lot.

Agreed. But people say "Raki "):?:?")*#)#£ " instead: it is Valverdes fault to play him. Every player want's to play. For sake of playing as it is their job. Raki is a footballer after all.

xXKonan

I remember back when I joined in August of 2014, there were debates whether or not if he was good enough to be a starter for the long haul or just in the medium term as a stop-gap until we found a CM or two who could potentially be better than him with a more expansive skill set on the ball.

His first four months weren't great but he wasn't "Terrible" he just seemed average so to speak, had scored a couple of goals but other than that he was unremarkable and people wondered if we made a mistake in selling Cesc at the time who was on fire for Chelsea.

He turned his situation around from January onwards when the team clicked, but since Lucho tried to bench him in 2016 early on for Gomes, I wondered if Lucho just seen Rakitic as a stopgap until the club found him someone who potentially had more potential.

That's the question that I've been wondering for a while now is if Rakitic was just a mere a stopgap, but due to poor planning in the past couple of years, he was made a default starter while also having the backing of Valverde who refused to drop him even during his poor run of form.

Potroh

Imo, your footballing views and ideas regarding Barca are leaning towards the "majority tribe".
Neymar is good, Raki is bad, beautiful play is a key, EV is bad, roughly.

Okay, fine, I can live with those identifiers or whatever they were, except for Rakitic, who was one of my favorite Barca player over the years. I personally never ever said a bad word on him, apart from the sad thing, that today you have also seemed to agree with, that his time is over.

I personally became a Barca follower because I loved Ronaldinho and a bit later Messi has been the continuation of that type of beauty in football.
Footballers and ex-footballers very rarely become fans of a certain club, just like myself, they are merely interested in nice games, and players always have a good flair to know which teams are worth to watch.

You are fan and you want RESULTS, trophies.
In that sense I'm definitely not fan as such, because I'm absolutely uninterested in results and trophies.
You much better know all those rankings and trophies compared to an average player. I won our league several times with my team, also the local "copa", and I do remember many NT games but definitely not all of them. Simply because even in my prime years I wasn't result-oriented.

There are 3 options actually:

1. You love the beauty of the game. Simultaneously you wish your favorites to succeed, win titles, but the game itself comes before all.
2. You like beautiful play, but only if it comes from your favorite team, you can rarely enjoy other teams to play nicely, as in your head the focus is always on your team. (If you see some great players in other teams, your first instinctive thought is to lure them to your own team).
3. You don't like nice football, you want results and titles, success as such, but this type of success can only be expressed for you in titles and numbers.

So, which category do you belong to?
According to my own labels, I definitely belong to the 1st "tribe".
According to your own labels, you definitely belong to the 3rd "tribe".

But there is a slight problem. Sigh...
You can always have nice and joyful discussions with anyone belonging to the non-result-oriented 1st or 2nd tribe, but unfortunately you simply cannot have objective conversations with ANYONE belonging to the result-oriented tribe, because... and you know the reason, because, they are interested in results only, REGARDLESS how those RESULTS WERE ACHIEVED.

For you a CL final win is a great success if your team has 2 shots on goal, the opponent has 36 of them, but still your team wins by a lucky own-goal.
To cut it short, there is nothing I could actually talk about with a result-oriented 3rd tribe football fan, apart from talking about possible methods HIS TEAM could be even more successful by.
Unfortunately those discussions are dull and jug-handled after some time.

Of course most fans are not rigid 1-2-3 "tribes" but a combination of all that. Still, there's little common area, because, and you should know that, there is no way to converse about essential football ingredients with a 3rd tribe human, but I can go further, it's extremely difficult to have conversations with a true fan either.

If you undertake that you are in the 3rd category, you need to know that conversation possibilities are extremely limited. You will eventually alienate almost everyone who loves nice football and even your best arguments will find deaf ears, specially if the numbers or stats dominate.

I can easily tell you to come out from your cave, results and numbers, and pay much more attention to the actual game-play, tactics, nuances, etc.
If I tell you that, I don't hurt you, I don't belittle you, simply wish to open a door that leads to a greener acre.

Okay, but what can you suggest to me and to the similar others?
To dislike nice football? To sacrifice the best moments of the game on the mere results?
Only war-lords can convey messages like that, when the army is ready to go to battle.

Will anyone ever accept a notion from you NOT to enjoy football???

Finally a few points as advises:
- Hatred is always bad and finally it hits back to the hater.
- Hating the living greatest footballers - like Neymar is - is comical and only tells about your own single-sidedness.
- Constant repetition is a useful weapon, but one has to use it sparingly.
- Numbers are dry, often irrelevant, if you watch games with open eyes.
- Fans need hope, therefore they will always vote for promising youngsters. It's normal.
- If aesthetics in football mean little or nothing to you, don't spread it proudly. Hide it.

Finally finally:
Leave poor Dembele alone. Perhaps he will never be nominated for the Nobel price for his intellectual achievements, but he is a very talented young boy, even if performs inconsistently.
Barca did NOT pay 105 millions for his qualities. The club paid the amount for his TALENTS, as everyone with eyes could see he was not a final product.
The rest depends on the club, board, medicals and coach alike, how he is able or unable to develop and flourish his unquestionable talents at the club.
If he remains a promising but inconsistent footballer, it is the fault of the club. They have every and any means to interfere with, even the worst possible tendencies.

You do not write posts here. You write ARTICLES and it's a great thing! I wish there would be more to do just that.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

People need to remember that Rakitic was bought dirt cheap off a successful season at Sevilla. He has repaid his price many times over but he should have been benched last season.

JerseyAddict

People need to remember that Rakitic was bought dirt cheap off a successful season at Sevilla. He has repaid his price many times over but he should have been benched last season.

This. I remember original Barça dream team for their sucess. Nit for their failiure in Athens.

Havesaks

I remember back when I joined in August of 2014, there were debates whether or not if he was good enough to be a starter for the long haul or just in the medium term as a stop-gap until we found a CM or two who could potentially be better than him with a more expansive skill set on the ball.

His first four months weren't great but he wasn't "Terrible" he just seemed average so to speak, had scored a couple of goals but other than that he was unremarkable and people wondered if we made a mistake in selling Cesc at the time who was on fire for Chelsea.

He turned his situation around from January onwards when the team clicked, but since Lucho tried to bench him in 2016 early on for Gomes, I wondered if Lucho just seen Rakitic as a stopgap until the club found him someone who potentially had more potential.

That's the question that I've been wondering for a while now is if Rakitic was just a mere a stopgap, but due to poor planning in the past couple of years, he was made a default starter while also having the backing of Valverde who refused to drop him even during his poor run of form.

Rakitic was an opportunity in the market, cheap and was a solid signing for the time being. His price tag gives us a good indication what was expected of him. And he surpassed that by leap and bounds. There isnt really much to wonder about, of course he wasnt ment to be an ideal Barca-midfielder, but he had performed really well in La liga, and Europe iirc, was solid both defensive and offensive and back in the day he actually had a lot to offer offensively and was Sevilla most creative and best player. He was in other words an easy bet for us, and it paid off a lot. But we were always considering better options afterwards, veratti for example. But since the squad had more dire needs and other midfielers ended up being to expensive or didn't fullfill expectatioans Denis, gomes, roberto etc, he ended up being a starter till now. And imo minus last season he performed o.k. being a Barca starter and really well considering market price and salary.

For those who hates the guy because he gets picked all though there werent actually any better options available, I can only shake my head in disbelief. The guy is a true professional and hasnt once stepped out of line in any way and was for both Lucho and Valverde the 'coaches-player'. Performace/price-wage ratio second best in rossel/bartomeu era only second to ter Stegen.

xXKonan

Sport claims the club will put Rakitic on the market in January.

EGtmvE5WsAIsDnb

Says Valverde doesn't mind if he gets sold and Rakitic sees it as an opportunity to get one last big contract offer from another team.

Gnidrologist

He doesn't understand the situation? LOL While sitting on the bench pay attention what's happening on the field. Archie and DJ are bossing the mf like you never even dreamed of even in your haydays. Even Valweirdo can't willfully ignore this fact. Just step away man. You've been of good service for a while. Now get away pls.

Total-Football

Sport claims the club will put Rakitic on the market in January.

EGtmvE5WsAIsDnb

Says Valverde doesn't mind if he gets sold and Rakitic sees it as an opportunity to get one last big contract offer from another team.

As if Valverde has any say on anything. He is a morose zombie happily collecting checks and doing his best to stay as invisible as possible, to players and to board. In this case of Rakitic, to board.

BBZ8800

Rakitic wants to leave.
Fans want him to leave.

Yet, the board is again asking 40M euros in January for a player who will be 32 in March...
Let him go for 10-15M and that's it. Win win for all parties.

Home of Barca Fans