Ivan Rakitić

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Blaming Raktic for smiling or celebrating that Seville festival is a pathetic scapegoating attempt. We should fire Valverde and do a soul searching on every player and seriously think about the path ahead for the humiliating defeat.

tacticvarium

Blaming his ignorance, lack of professionalism and commitment is far from a pathetic scapegoating attempt.
Can't wait to see this dumb guy finally leave Barça.

Arizona Scott

I am reading in Sport today that 3 scapegoats sold will be: Coutinho, Rakitic and Umtiti.
Fine.

But the one thing which I don't like is that a club is always "killing" the foreign players.

Busquets was equally as shit as Rakitic during the last few years..

Selling Rakitic most probably had been decided when they bought De Jong.
If Rakitic undertakes being a substitute, then fine, they can keep him like that, but probably he wants to play.

Coutinho's possible sale is a mere financial matter, they will get rid of him but only for considerable amount of money.
If Valverde stays (I sincerely hope he will not) there is no use for him to play further. But in case another coach comes, there is perhaps a slight chance that he can reincarnate himself, preferably in a different position.

What I don't understand is Umtiti - if the gossips are true.
He is a great player and at his best he is much better than Lenglet.
I doubt that a sane manager would get rid of Umtiti, simply because he was injured for a long time.

First of all the only Catalan player there is Piquet. The rest are either Spanish or "adopted" Catalans.
Secondly the high-management knows that by relying mostly on "domestic players" - as you put it - would be a popular trend, but would not lead to either results or to form a newer style - based upon them.

You are absolutely right, the present La Masia adduction is not very good, neither Alena or Puig are good enough for a newer Barca setup.
In my subjective opinion Alena will never become a great player, (sorry to say but whenever he plays I only see a slightly better version of Andre Gomes in him, their physical characteristics, moves are pretty similar).
Puig has more talent, but at present he is perhaps good for the bench only, the others are more or less forgettable as first team material.

But the La Masia thing - that is repeated like a mantra over and over again - is a natural one, there are peaks and bottoms, only idiots could think that it is a "factory" capable of producing better and better players - continuously - all the time.
It did produce great ones for say 10 years, so it is inevitable that a slight drought comes for quite a few years to come... One can do nothing about that, because it's the most natural tendency...

I think ya'll are mostly spot on. However I don't think Busi and Rakitic are shit, look at the trophy haul the last many years, but they are part of a the problem where we have been overrun in the midfield (as well as Sergi, other players recent years). Busi is on a higher wage--I really think he should be talked about moving on equally if not more than Rakitic, but I don't know if that will happen.

Pique I am less concerned about. He had a great year at CB, and he has lots of other interests. I think he will step out graciously and with the team in mind.

I think Umtiti should go if we have a very good price. He has already put him well before the club and at an inopportune time, and I don't think his leadership and focus is on par with his individual skill. He can also play arrogant for a CB, uncess risks. Unless you are Puyol in skill and mind I don't what my CB trying that.

Puig and Alena are just prospects and low wages. We don't do or don't do moves for available elite players because these prospects have a chance to be world class for us. Alena can get a bit more chance next year, we will see.

Potroh

However I don't think Busi and Rakitic are shit, look at the trophy haul the last many years, but they are part of a the problem where we have been overrun in the midfield (as well as Sergi, other players recent years).

I'd never say they were "shit", they are great individual players with a lot of qualities.

The midfield's problem is the lack of multi-functionality, no offensive creator there, lack of pace, the defensive mistakes are only valid for important games against the best.

Umtiti, when healthy is a great defender, no sane team would sell him and though Lenglet is good but he will hardly ever be among the greatest.

I think you mention a bit too often prices, wages and financial matters, perhaps Americans can't function without those...

xXKonan

Busi-Rakitic is the most undynamic Midfield pair out of the top teams in Europe in the last couple of years.

There was a time it worked but now it's becoming more and more of a hinderance starting those two together and expecting guys like Vidal, Arthur, Alena, to perform miracles in other areas both Busi and Rakitic can't or no longer can and expect it to work.

The team might be able to afford one of them playing if they have two CM's in front of them that can help carry most of the heavy lifting but both of them together especially against top competition is no longer such a valuable option.

Arizona Scott

I'd never say they were "shit", they are great individual players with a lot of qualities.

The midfield's problem is the lack of multi-functionality, no offensive creator there, lack of pace, the defensive mistakes are only valid for important games against the best.

Umtiti, when healthy is a great defender, no sane team would sell him and though Lenglet is good but he will hardly ever be among the greatest.

I think you mention a bit too often prices, wages and financial matters, perhaps Americans can't function without those...

Point taken about wages, as a fan (and I think for EV) we should look at squad, less on wages, and not at all fees (since they are in the past). I look a fee paid less than many here but I get your point.

Agree with the pace issue and lack of attacking creativity. I really think a bit unfair to blame on any one player. It is a collective issue and I think with many of our veterans they compound each other's weakness. It really was Liverpool playing as a team better than their individual parts (look at the play of players like Origi, Henderson, Milner who are not Barca level talents--but they were sure in unison) and Barca playing like a collection of more loosely connected individuals and not very coherently. The #1 factor has to be the caliber of the manager in managing emotion (energy and focus) as well as tactical adaptation and preparation.

I am more comfortable with Lenglet moving forward than Umtiti because the the latter's injury situation, is a big older, I think plays a bit more careless, and finally don't think he handled himself well last year with negotiations during a title chase. But I'll agree to disagree about Umtiti vs Lenglet.

MessiTBE

Banned
The rakitic quotes is all over my twitter timeline wtf. People saying it’s from 2012 so I don’t know why people are bringing it back up again hoping to destroy rakitic.

Tekkers

umtiti, dembele, semedo and todibo have got to be fuming.

dont care how many years old that quote is, once this goes viral the negative pr hit the club will take if they keep rakitic past this season will be irrecoverable

get rid of him and coutinho and dont look back

Arizona Scott

Because it's ok to be homophobic in 2012....:lucho2:

No it is not OK in 2012. However the timing of tweet resurrection streaks of alternative motivation than a public discussion of homophobia and racism.

Further, I guess it may not matter in Seria A than other leagues with enough money to purchase him, but we want more bidders from more leagues, not less.

Dinho10

No it is not OK in 2012. However the timing of tweet resurrection streaks of alternative motivation than a public discussion of homophobia and racism.

Further, I guess it may not matter in Seria A than other leagues with enough money to purchase him, but we want more bidders from more leagues, not less.

That quote is yikes no matter what year it is. This club fought against racism since its existence and keeping him around will go against it.

xXKonan

I wasn't aware of those comments until those popped up on my twitter feed.

Hope he has improved his views since then if not, yikes.

Home of Barca Fans