Ivan Rakitić

Andresito

Staff member
Dv5O61jU8AE2Kfy.jpg:small

Arizona Scott

I agree with a lot of this sentiment. But I would say it is equally a Busi complaint as Rakitic. I also think as Arthur and Vidal are new to the squad, new shiny thing, there is a bit over hype of the difference they are likely to make relative to the other two, and less attention to weakness. I have watched Vidal a lot, and I was happy with the move to acquire him. But I also recognize of these 4 he is probably the most likely to get a red card (rashest player) and his accuracy is not Rakitic and especially Busi level. Arthur looks like a great signing and brings some ball control and movement perhaps already ahead of all 3 in his 1st time in top flight football. But he also has never had to react and cope with the intensity and physicality of a CL knockout round. There also is a lot of statistical evidence he is the least effective of the 4 when opponents have the ball. They all have warts and concerns, they all should be played. Personally I think Couts should get some time in the midfield too--but that is too late to implement this year, plus there is nothing wrong with him being able to lesson the forward minutes. Having 4 capable forwards is a good thing 4-3-3, as is 4 capable midfielders.

One final thing, let's look at whoscored overall metrics, here is for league https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/65/Show/Spain-Barcelona, here is for the CL matches
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/65/Show/Spain-Barcelona Now I am not saying these are complete pictures, you should use an eyeball test too. But guess who are ahead of these 4, Busi/Rakitic are 1/2 and 2/1, and Arthur and Vidal are 3/4 and 4/3. So which is more likely, this metric systematically is biased against players attributes like those Arturo and Arthur have, or are quite a few fans in this forum biased against Rakitic and Busi--are they confirming what they want to see because they like the shiny new thing or hold resentments toward specific players, for whatever reason? I know which possibility I think is more plausible, FYI here is the WhoScored.com Ratings defined "are based on a unique, comprehensive statistical algorithm, calculated live during the game. There are over 200 raw statistics included in the calculation of a player'’s/team’'s rating, weighted according to their influence within the game. Every event of importance is taken into account, with a positive or negative effect on ratings weighted in relation to its area on the pitch and its outcome."

I will reiterate again I think Barca is much greater position having 4 roughly equivalent midfielders--each with strengths and weaknesses. The 3 vets absolutely should be rotated and limited to have them peaking physically for the quarters/semis/final of the CL. Arthur I would be fine with him getting 70 minutes of La Liga play EVERY MATCH he is healthy because he is younger and can benefit directly from that experience. But I can just see all the moans come CL quarters with Arthur starting on the bench (but likely to get playing time) because we want to ease him in those moments and want to reduce the likelihood of a mistake from inexperience in that kind of pressure. Now if Arthur continues to improve and his whoscored metric (objective) and eye test (subjective) start blowing Rakitic and Vidal out of the water--by all means he could earn those starts. Let it play out. I know letting it play out and trying to be objective and balanced doesn't get the attention in a fan group than bashing players or hyping up others out of proportion, what can I say, the former is how I look at things and I can see a good share of this board also aims for fairness and respect for new players and old alike, whatever best serves the club.

I think I'll just repost my post because of the nonsense. Might as well keep the thread about something relevant.

BTW Alena was solid. I am happy with Vidal, Busi and Rakitic rotation getting extra breaks with him prior to the CL. Also, Busi was saved our behinds a number of times, and Rakitic and Messi had some good interchanges. Good use of rotations by Valverde, just maybe he is learning.

Home of Barca Fans