Ivan Rakitić

Raketa10

Busquets is a CDM, Rakitic is not. He's supposed to add way more in the build up phase and in creation than he should. So no, I would not bench Busquets, I would rather bench Rakitic for Vidal if we're to play a 4-4-2. You keep the true CDM in the team and add a more dynamic player who can play the same role as Rakitic, but is way more aggressive, willing to make a pass or cross and is more mobile and faster to keep up with the high tempo in key fixtures.

I know you love Rakitic and will defend him till death, but if he's going to play as a DM there's little point to start him, especially over Busquets.

Rakitic was brilliant last season in DM role so I really don’t know what are you talking about? He was far better than Busi last season. If Raki was playing on the level Busi did last season he would get slaughtered here.

Sorin

Rakitic was brilliant last season in DM role so I really don’t know what are you talking about? He was far better than Busi last season. If Raki was playing on the level Busi did last season he would get slaughtered here.

Please. They were about the same level and Busi was better as a CDM than Rakitic.

Sorin

WTF?Did you even watch Barca last season?

No dude, I watched clouds spinning around.

"Far better", "Raki brilliant" Busquets was not anything special but those are too big a words for Raki's performances for us last season.

Judoman

Rakitic was better in double pivot role last season, but in 4-3-3 i would take Busi over him. He is better under pressure due to his positioning and technical skills.

Zidane82

Transition is so important now so we need athleticism in the midfield therefore defensive responsibility being soley on busi is an antiquated notion

He's lauded as some kind of God in here yet he's so negative when he plays for us compared to how he plays for Croatia plus he's hardly suited to our pressing game seeing he's officially the slowest member of our squad.

Sorin

Rakitic was better in double pivot role last season, but in 4-3-3 i would take Busi over him. He is better under pressure due to his positioning and technical skills.

You know what, I agree with this. However, when you highlight Raki's shortcomings, people will jump on you saying that he plays out of position and whatnot. But Busquets' best position is not in a double pivot as well.

The truth is that it's neither his or Busi's best position but Rakitic, credit to him, has adapted better than Busi to it.

In a 4-3-3 i have no doubt which one I chose for the majority of the games though. And like Raketa said, even though i wouldn't classify Raki as a brilliant CDM, not even close, he can do a decent job covering for Busi in this role. It's a good thing we have players as versatile as him as we can juggle with our formations over the course of the season so all of them are fresh at the business end of the season.

Zidane82

You know what, I agree with this. However, when you highlight Raki's shortcomings, people will jump on you saying that he plays out of position and whatnot. But Busquets' best position is not in a double pivot as well.

The truth is that it's neither his or Busi's best position but Rakitic, credit to him, has adapted better than Busi to it.

In a 4-3-3 i have no doubt which one I chose for the majority of the games though. And like Raketa said, even though i wouldn't classify Raki as a brilliant CDM, not even close, he can do a decent job covering for Busi in this role. It's a good thing we have players as versatile as him as we can juggle with our formations over the course of the season so all of them are fresh at the business end of the season.

You make some fair points but the fact remains that now we have Busqs , Coutinho , Arthur and A Vidal there's no way Rakitic should be a guaranteed starter - which I fear he will be .

RMU ReBorn

Please. They were about the same level and Busi was better as a CDM than Rakitic.
No they weren't . Rakitic was ahead in both attack and defense .

Stop kidding yourselves, Busi is more important than Rakitic to our team.

Shouldn't be surprised when on this board people will go as far as saying that Raki has been better than Lionel fucking Messi. That is the level of delusion around here.
Rakitic and Messi doesn't play in same position . Busi and Raki played as Dm last season and Rakitic out classed him in every aspect . You can deny it as much as you want . Still it won't change the fact that Rakitic was better last season . You don't even have stats to back up your claim . Not even in forward passes an aspect in which Rakitic gets shitload of blame from this forum

He's lauded as some kind of God in here.
You are in a wrong forum . 90% of Pepistas here attacks this thread with missiles and bombes one's he performs badly . If Rakitic had Busi's stats last season , he would get all the blame for everything that we didn't do right . He is one of the most criticised player in this forum . apart from few members none seems to have bothered about good things he has done for Barca .

Judoman

Raki is the most shitted on starter in the last 5 years. He is also the player who performed the "gap filling" role, which was not flashy, but very useful to the team.
I don t think he received enough credit for this and he is always the first spiting target.

Zidane82

Rakitic and Messi doesn't play in same position . Busi and Raki played as Dm last season and Rakitic out classed him in every aspect . You can deny it as much as you want . Still it won't change the fact that Rakitic was better last season . You don't even have stats to back up your claim . Not even in forward passes an aspect in which Rakitic gets shitload of blame from this forum

I'd guess that about 95% of Barca fans would take Busqs over Rakitic . I dread the day that Busqs retires .

When he plays , we play

Raki is the most shitted on starter in the last 5 years. He is also the player who performed the "gap filling" role, which was not flashy, but very useful to the team.
I don t think he received enough credit for this and he is always the first spiting target.

But Barca shouldn't have to be resorting to using gap-filling midfielders , that's the point .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No, people don't always trash Rakitic or don't appreciate what he brings. Most people on this forum do. It's just a vocal minority that doesn't which includes Zincubus and his dozen alt-accounts.

People are critical of Rakitic and that's different. It's not all roses and unicorns all the time and that goes for every player. You then also have @RMU ReBorn out here who is unable to differentiate between criticism and blind hate and goes on his long rants about shit irrelevant to the discussion like trashing Pep Guardiola among other things as if people get hurt by being called for a Pepista or whatever the fuck that is :lol:

I'm not going to say that Busquets is still what he was years ago or that we're lost without him, and neither will I say that Rakitic is World Class and indispensable.

I don't believe it so it is what it is. You can make a counter argument or cry on the internet about a dude you don't even know criticizing the player you like.

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

No, people don't always trash Rakitic or don't appreciate what he brings. Most people on this forum do. It's just a vocal minority that doesn't which includes Zincubus and his dozen alt-accounts.

People are critical of Rakitic and that's different. It's not all roses and unicorns all the time and that goes for every player. You then also have @RMU ReBorn out here who is unable to differentiate between criticism and blind hate and goes on his long rants about shit irrelevant to the discussion like trashing Pep Guardiola among other things as if people get hurt by being called for a Pepista or whatever the fuck that is :lol:
Never knew that calling him Back pass maestro , shit , Editing siggys with his head on Doggy's body can be classed as criticism . Begining of the last season he was getting all the blame for everything that went wrong and Busquets was untouchable despite him being equally poor . That's the bias i am talking about . If i was surfing from a laptop i could have digged all those posts . Unfortunately i can't do that in my mobile

I'd guess that about 95% of Barca fans would take Busqs over Rakitic . I dread the day that Busqs retires .

When he plays , we play
I wouldn't bet on our chances with Busi alone in a 433 without a controller like Xavi or someone who can run their socks off like Kante . Psg away 2017 all over again , even against bottem half teams in La liga . I don't mind replacing Rakitic with either Pogba or kante . Both can extend Busquets career .

Home of Barca Fans