Ivan Rakitić

Stric

It's mindboggling how Croatia can't utlilize him properly.

And it's even more mindboggling when you consider that Kovač has both Rakitić and Modrić at his disposal ("holy shit!" to begin with), yet plays them in such a way that completely nullifies their respective abilities.

FC B

Best game in Barca shirt till now by far for me!:rakitic::yes:

And man he chose the perfect game for it!

MOTM with Messi.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

I don't mean to put down his previous performances, but I have to say that he was unexpectedly calm and elegant with the ball tonight.

Yes, I agree, better under pressure than before. He certainly has been important this year, including last night's game, and was a good buy in that regard; Lucho has used him well. That said, Barça still needs a bit extra that Rakitic hasn't been able to provide. He advanced the ball well yesterday, but lacked the vision or technical finesse to do anything with it. A player with all of Rakitic's excellent work qualities *plus* more refined technique and vision would make Barça more potent in attack. Right now, with Iniesta more withdrawn this year, Messi has been the source of most of the "midfield's" creativity.

Don't get me wrong. I like Rakitic, and perhaps he can improve. But having more of a creative attacking threat from midfield would make Barça quite dominant, and be less reliant on Messi. I see Rakitic in more of a Keita role.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Rakitic should play, it's his partner who should provide those qualities. You'd expect iniesta to do it and he does but not consistently.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I knew this beautiful blond beast was the steal of the summer and GOD he has proved me right. RAKITIC!!!

Henry_IB

Banned
Yes, I agree, better under pressure than before. He certainly has been important this year, including last night's game, and was a good buy in that regard; Lucho has used him well. That said, Barça still needs a bit extra that Rakitic hasn't been able to provide. He advanced the ball well yesterday, but lacked the vision or technical finesse to do anything with it. A player with all of Rakitic's excellent work qualities *plus* more refined technique and vision would make Barça more potent in attack. Right now, with Iniesta more withdrawn this year, Messi has been the source of most of the "midfield's" creativity.

Don't get me wrong. I like Rakitic, and perhaps he can improve. But having more of a creative attacking threat from midfield would make Barça quite dominant, and be less reliant on Messi. I see Rakitic in more of a Keita role.

I disagree strongly with this assessment. First of all, you mention a player with Rakitić's work-rate and defensive capabilities but more refined technique and vision, who would that be?

Secondly, Rakitić the hybrid brings the versatility Barcelona needs. He can play in basically in any position in the midfield and perform well. I think the goal against man city really exemplifies his play and qualities. He was back defending at our own box and then ran across the entire pitch to receive that ball from Messi, which he tucked away with a solid finish and a good display of technique.

When we're not in possession, he presses and runs like a madman and I think he quite often recovers balls and make good interceptions. When we're in attack, he very often makes intelligent runs to draw defenders or get into a position to score and he has the ability to give a good pass. I remember watching a video of all of Barcelona goals this season like a month back and it struck me how often this guy made good runs in those clips.

He's an extra DM when we're defending and an extra attacking player when we're attacking. He's a jack of all trades, master of none. The engine of our midfield. Our front trio have no problems whatsoever to score and create goals so I think it'd be unwise to compromise the balance he brings for some more creativity. If anything, that should come from Iniesta's position.

To me at least, Rakitić and Busquests should always start in the midfield together in big games.

SocalBarcaFan

I disagree strongly with this assessment. First of all, you mention a player with Rakitić's work-rate and defensive capabilities but more refined technique and vision, who would that be?

Secondly, Rakitić the hybrid brings the versatility Barcelona needs. He can play in basically in any position in the midfield and perform well. I think the goal against man city really exemplifies his play and qualities. He was back defending at our own box and then ran across the entire pitch to receive that ball from Messi, which he tucked away with a solid finish and a good display of technique.

When we're not in possession, he presses and runs like a madman and I think he quite often recovers balls and make good interceptions. When we're in attack, he very often makes intelligent runs to draw defenders or get into a position to score and he has the ability to give a good pass. I remember watching a video of all of Barcelona goals this season like a month back and it struck me how often this guy made good runs in those clips.

He's an extra DM when we're defending and an extra attacking player when we're attacking. He's a jack of all trades, master of none. The engine of our midfield. Our front trio have no problems whatsoever to score and create goals so I think it'd be unwise to compromise the balance he brings for some more creativity. If anything, that should come from Iniesta's position.

To me at least, Rakitić and Busquests should always start in the midfield together in big games.

The whole post is excellent but I am most curious about the bolded part as well.

draconifire

+1

aondoe

Excellent summation of Raki. I have loved him since he came. He had a slump but picked it up and keeps on rising. The dribbling the passing the work rate on pressing. I've been impressed since the beginning of the season, but against Bayern I feel like he was even better. Really blown away by this guy.

Home of Barca Fans