Is Messi Too Far Out Of Touch With The Real World?

Is Messi Too Far Out Of Touch With The Real World?

• Total voters

Pepe Silvia

Feels like the more time goes on, the more media tries to flame Messi for something... anything to cause controversy around Messi.

First it was the tax evasion and now today I saw on ESPN he was being criticized for charging $2,500.00 for his USA tour tickets supposedly promising an in person autograph only to not make good on that promise. He also cancelled the LA leg of the tour due to bad planning apparently, lucky I didn't buy tickets or I would have been fuming with the rest of the USA tour folks who've been duped.

Question is does Messi need to be more closely engaged to what is happening around him? Almost seems that his naivety is starting to catch up to him. Or are you of the mold who feels Messi should stay as far disconnected as he can for as long as he can so he can stay at the top of his football game?

I kind of feel he should step up his inner circle and brand a bit. His commercials suck, his presence is weak, and I think he should learn English so he doesn't come across so awkward all the time. A little charisma training, step up his posture... etc etc... am I being too harsh on the wizard? :lol:

B

BlaugranaCule07

I can't believe Messi would screw people like that, not even Ronaldo is that arrogant. I've lost all respect for him.

F

Flavia

What I read about the chicago game was that Messi didnt know about the $2000 tickets, that ensured a meet and greet with him.

Honestly it seems a case of really bad management. There were many problems during the USA part of the tour. He surely should keep a closer eye on these types of events. Specially because people love to judge and jump to conclusions, without caring to find out what really happened.

It's his image, he has to take better care of it.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
He shouldn't put so much on his plate and just go on vacation like the majority of the other players do.

He tried to do good and ended up looking like a bad guy.

He doesn't have to learn English to appease anybody.

XaviMessiGirl

It's hard to say since none of us know him or what the real story is with all this. For one thing he needs to hire better people & be more aware of things he's supposed to be involved in. I don't think he's necessarily the angel some people make him out to be but I don't think he would intentionally screw over the fans.

F

Flavia

He shouldn't put so much on his plate and just go on vacation like the majority of the other players do.

He tried to do good and ended up looking like a bad guy.

He doesn't have to learn English to appease anybody.
I think I remember him saying he was learning english, but Im not sure. And he always does those beneficent friendlies, and I doubt he'll stop. He just need to be more careful with those working for him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
You're being too harsh...Should get an agency to promote his affairs & handle his imaging rather than his family

ceefoo

I don't think Leo is out of touch. He is still very close with his family and keeps close ties with his hometown Rosario.
Where I think he has gone wrong is that he has tried to be too accommodating without taking into account how it would fit around his schedule. I would put the majority of the blame with his management team for making false promises and exposing him to criticism, and Leo being the simple, trusting person has been made to look the bad guy.

Don't forget that there Messi & Friends Tours are charity matches, so this shows that he does want to give something back to the community.

He needs better advisors tbh. Ones that take into consideration his image and will not just exploit him to make a quick buck. First and foremost, Messi is a footballer and he is most comfortable on a football pitch. If he is being guided in to something he is not comfortable doing, then he needs to put his foot down and say no. Ultimately, it's his head on the block.

If anything, I think Leo is guilty of naivety and should think very carefully of what marketing activities he commits to in future. He is not a politician and does not know how to deal with media scrutiny, like some other pros.

I chose the option Maybe, because I think he is out of touch in terms of how the real world works and what lengths some people will go to, to use him for their own benefit.

Btw, I like his Turkish Airlines commercial with Kobe Bryant. :D

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
He's hurt his image over the summer, but i never bought into his humble personality at all, never thought he was genuine. But it doesn't really matter much. He's payed to play football.

Galning

Not his fault that he had less than 24 hours to fly to LA. Not his fault that independent organisation decides to offer VIP-packages including autograph & meet-and-greet without him knowing.

Moving on.

Maria

He's hurt his image over the summer, but i never bought into his humble personality at all, never thought he was genuine.

Why? Can't a man be humble and not pay his taxes at the same time? :lol:
And you would think that for someone who did such a good job at selling his image until now he would know better than promise his fans something that he won't be able to do.

You're being too harsh...Should get an agency to promote his affairs & handle his imaging rather than his family

This..I understand that he trusts his father and all did but it seems to me that he's not doing a very good job. So if Messi is as smart as Ode to Django makes him to be he should have already fired his father.

Last edited:

Maria

Nothing to do with his taxes, i'm saying i've never bought into his personality of goodie goodie, he's always come across as extremely fake to me.

It may seem fake to you, but not to his former or current teammates and that's what matters in the end.

I can't believe Messi would screw people like that, not even Ronaldo is that arrogant. I've lost all respect for him.

Cristiano did the same thing last summer to some poor kids, not to someone who can afford to pay $2500 to see someone who doesn't even speak english.

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

I think he's pretty single mindedly focused on football and his family. This is something he has in common with most great athletes, you don't get to that level otherwise, you have to focus 100 % on your sport.

Home of Barca Fans