Iker Casillas

Beast

The Observer
Actually people have been singing Valdes game for every game he's played since he announced his departure

After he was boo'd and your other players rallied to urge the fans to show him respect ...

And no Valdes is indeed a Barcelona icon , if you haven't noticed he is by far the best keeper in Barcelona history
he even won more than Messi and that's says a lot about his iconic statues
yes he is an idiot but sure as hell an icon.. a keeper who win 3 Champions league is one FYI

Garrus

After he was boo'd and your other players rallied to urge the fans to show him respect ...

And no Valdes is indeed a Barcelona icon , if you haven't noticed he is by far the best keeper in Barcelona history
yes he is an idiot but sure as hell an icon.. a keeper who win 3 Champions league is one FYI
You're forcefully trying to 'pimp' him up just for the sake of your argument, I'm a cule, And i can safely speak for others when i say, He's not an icon to barcelona!

loozy

You're forcefully trying to 'pimp' him up just for the sake of your argument, I'm a cule, And i can safely speak for others when i say, He's not an icon to barcelona!

One of the reasons why he might want to leave, being held in such regard by his own fans. i'm just saying...

Garrus

So he either wants to be regarded as an icon or he leaves?
Being held as an icon is something special, Rare, And reserved for the truly greats, For me, Xavi is the icon of barcelona in this new century.

loozy

And Xavi wouldn't have won as much and thus being regarded as such an icon if it wasn't for Valdes (and yes, the defense; but how come Neuer is hailed as one of the greats when he is just the keeper being a rock solid defense, something that is always used to clubber Valdes with (at least that's the impression I get)).

Faceless

No more faces at night

His loyalty is what matters. To me that's iconic... too bad he's leaving. Anyways regarding about the Casillas matter, I don't understand why the Madrid fans are doing this to him?

Garrus

And Xavi wouldn't have won as much and thus being regarded as such an icon if it wasn't for Valdes (and yes, the defense; but how come Neuer is hailed as one of the greats when he is just the keeper being a rock solid defense, something that is always used to clubber Valdes with (at least that's the impression I get)).
Your logic is flawed, It's not a head to head competition, An icon is a player that defines a certain period in a club's history, When people look at the barcelona of the 21st century, They'll think of 2 players, Xavi and messi, I for example chose xavi, RM fans will look at the same perioid and think of Iker, I don't think of iniesta as an icon, Yet that doesn't mean i undermine him or don't appreciate him!.
Neuer an icon to BM?? You think of the word 'icon' way too lightly.

Beast

The Observer
If Puyol,Xavi & Valdes are not Barcelona icons i don't know who is ( i neglected Iniesta as he was upcoming in the first Cl in 2005 )
those 3 defined an era of your most successful period winning all there to be one...

just because he is leaving doesn't mean he is not an icon , unless Pep too is not a Barcelona icon

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
How desperate you've become in making excuses for your club, Gio - comparing Valdes' club stature to that of Iker...You know full well that its Xavi or Puyol that is comparable

Desperate...Were you making similar excuses when your club binned Valdano too?

Beast

The Observer
How desperate you've become in making excuses for your club, Gio - comparing Valdes' club stature to that of Iker...You know full well that its Xavi or Puyol that is comparable

Desperate...Were you making similar excuses when your club binned Valdano too?

I think the desperate one who run away when his club started losing ... and came back around the 2nd Milan game

Valdano do you mean i still defended Valdano because that never changed ...

Valdes club stature is the same as Iker ... i don't see any difference.. of course now in your hypocritical eyes Valdes is not as he is leaving like the rest of you but a keeper who was the main man for almost 10 years winning as much as he did and he is still not an icon in your eyes and calling me desperate

If Valdes is not an icon than neither is Pep , Cruyff and many more including Messi because Valdes was more instrumental in the entire era

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

Never since announcing his departure, atleast not in the Camp Nou

F

Flavia

Valdes club stature is the same as Iker ...
Uh, no. Really, no. That's grasping for straws. He's not on the same pantheon as Xavi and Puyol. That probably hurts him, but it's true.
Vv is an icon, but a minor one, so to speak. In no way he has the same stature as Casillas.

Irish_Cules

I think the desperate one who run away when his club started losing ... and came back around the 2nd Milan game

Valdes club stature is the same as Iker ... i don't see any difference.. of course now in your hypocritical eyes Valdes is not as he is leaving like the rest of you but a keeper who was the main man for almost 10 years winning as much as he did and he is still not an icon in your eyes and calling me desperate

If Valdes is not an icon than neither is Pep , Cruyff and many more including Messi because Valdes was more instrumental in the entire era

Valdes is indeed an icon but not in the same way as Iker is at Madrid. Casillas had such a huge impact on Madrid from an early age. The manner in which he came on against Bayer Leverkusan and made countless saves to win you the Champions League instantly put him in the clubs folkore. Casillas was consistantly putting in world class performances from an early age and maintained this level for years. It was only a couple of years ago that he began to make mistakes but before that he didn't make any.

Valdes had to slowly build his reputation at Barcelona over the years and it is only recently that he is being fully appreciated by the whole footballing world. He never hit the heights that Casillas did and he has worked hard to improve as a goalkeeper over the years. He was always prone to the odd error in his early days and they have become much less frequent and it can be argued that he has been better than Casillas for the last year or so. Casillas reached his phenomenol peak at and early age and maintained it for roughly ten years while Valdes has been slowly improving thoughout his Barca career.

I also don't think Valdes ever had to consistently save Barcelona's asses the same way Casillas had to when Madrid were falling apart during the end of the Galacticos. He was making ridiculous saves that earned Madrid countless points. It can be argued that Valdes has been doing that for the last couple of months but Casillas was saving Madrid's asses on a weekly basis for a much longer period of time.

Valdes is most definitely a Barca legend and will go down as the clubs most successful goalkeeper. Casillas is on a different level in terms of iconic status though. Madrid have had their highs and lows over the last number of years and Iker has been there for all of it. Even when the team was a mess, Iker was phenomenal.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

First Valdes is like Iker, now Pep?...You're digging a deeper hole for yourself...Deflect all you like, you know quite well how poor this makes your club look...If an icon like Iker is treated this way by the fans of a club he grew up idolizing and has won everything there is, dominating at his position for more than a decade, no one is sacred at a club

Gloryhunting fans with no sense of history or honor, they've bought into the Mou way of success at any cost - hook, line & sinker

Home of Barca Fans