Ibrahim Afellay

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Yup, he'll have a nice time sitting next to Pinto, hahaha...

However, I don't see why this is bad for Thiago... Sure, he'll get even less playtime with the first team (if Afellay turns out good that is) but he's still nineteen and the B team needs him more than the first time in this very moment, so it could be Luis Enrique asking Pep to let him play with the B team for a while, at least until the end of this season... Thiago is awesome, but I see no point in rushing him into the first team...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not exactly sure what the reasoning was behind this signing... The most reasonable conclusion was "he was only 2-3 million".

And what about Fabregas? All this hoohah all summer long and now we're bringing in another midfielder? I'm not a huge fan of Keita although I appreciate his work ethic, I'd like to see him go soon. If anything Mascherano seems like the choice to fill Keita's longterm spot and Afellay (25) as the AM/winger option.

You said it yourself man, Afellay will be a winger.

iookram

Afellay will be awesome as a super sub for the forwards. Especially in the Champions League where he'd definitely be 1 of the best super subs available.

Silver

This transfer is good for the squad, good for the improvement of technique, good for quality on the training. Only for one person its not good. For thiagos playing time. I think in the picking order affellay will be higher then thiago. Affellay can play with both feet. Pep likes such players.

CuleWern

PSV and Afellay playing Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv atm - Afellay seems to have a deeper role in the midfield - distributing the ball in a xavious playstyle.

dalitis8

Banned
This transfer is good for the squad, good for the improvement of technique, good for quality on the training. Only for one person its not good. For thiagos playing time. I think in the picking order affellay will be higher then thiago. Affellay can play with both feet. Pep likes such players.

There will be plenty of playing time in the CDR

KluivertsBoots

Left wing and Iniesta cover. Two birds with one stone. Jeffren is the one who should be scared, not Thiago. Thiago will be fine at CM. I look for him to step into the full team next season.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Ive watched aot of him recently, and im not exacty impressed, will be a solid back up. Nothing more IMO. If not for the cheap price he woud be nowhere near a team like Barca.

Co0ter

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he's used as a midfieldier. Xavi is getting old, he's already showing signs of not being able to finish a game due to tendonitis; not to mention he'll be 31 in january- his conditioning is going to start to deteriorate faster. Keita is also turning 31 in January. That doesn't leave much depth in the midfield imo. Who's left?! Sergi (DM), Masch (DM) and Iniesta. Please don't tell me Keita/Sergi can play as an AM or some sort of distributor....

Last season our midfield looked horrible most of the season b/c Iniesta was injured so much. Keita/Sergi/Xavi was just ugly, very ugly. We had poor movement of the ball and not much vision coming from the midfield. Thiago is a vital part of the squad; he's who we should look to if Xavi can't hack an intense schedule, a full 90 minutes or he/Iniesta are injured. As for Afellay, if he's not in the midfield is the wing really needed? That must mean Bojan is on the way out and Jeffren isn't being taken seriously. He was cheap...but I doubt a skilled 25 year old is going to be satisfied sitting on the bench. Afellay could easily replace Jeffren and given Bojan's poor form....

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Ive watched aot of him recently, and im not exacty impressed, will be a solid back up. Nothing more IMO. If not for the cheap price he woud be nowhere near a team like Barca.

I think we can disregard his performances starting from when negotiations with him began, as his focus will have been split. like Smalling for Fulham last season. amazing first half, signs for United, shit second half. but now he's AT United, he looks the business.

Mocro

I think we can disregard his performances starting from when negotiations with him began, as his focus will have been split. like Smalling for Fulham last season. amazing first half, signs for United, shit second half. but now he's AT United, he looks the business.

You have a point there. Im not saying his slacking off, but for the past couple of games he doesnt seem the Afellay that I know. Makes more mistakes, looks a bit unconcentrated. Perhaps he is in safe mode not trying to get injured. Today is his last homegame.

Home of Barca Fans