Grounds to visit before you die

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
After discussing Anfield on another thread I thought I'd compile a list of grounds that ideally any football fan would love to see during their lifetime. This will allow you all to disagree with me vehemently but I would like to request that anybody grumbling about my list supplies one of their own, it's only fair!

The list was going to be 20 or 25 but I couldn't stretch that far, the idea is that these are places that you would regret never having been to if the clubs move or you were somehow never able to attend a match again and not that many grounds fit the bill.

Anyway, in no particular order:

1. Wembley Stadium (London) - The home of English football, the spiritual home of the world's oldest cup competition and a venue that every schoolboy (in England at least) dreams of playing at. The new ground has nothing on the old one, but the name means a lot.

2. Camp Nou (Barcelona) - Architecturally unique, the largest ground in Europe and the home of Barça. On the outside it's ugly, inside it's beautifully breathtaking, especially when full for a clásico or big European game.

3. Santiago Bernabéu (Madrid) - Despite the reprobates that fill it, the Bernabéu has the feel of a footballing palace with its steep, steep stands and the fans close to the touchline.

4. San Mamés (Bilbao) - By consensus the best atmosphere of any La Liga ground by a distance and the name "La Catedral" speaks for itself.

5. San Siro (Milano) - A ground that's alway fascinated me because of the weird area behind one of the goals but it's an imposing stadium which can create a fantastic atmosphere.

6. Stade Velodrome (Marseille) - A wonderfully atmospheric ground with the most passionate supporters in France and two enormous stands behind the goals.

7. Stade Louis II (Monte Carlo) - Strange, edgy, bizarre design which is totally unsuited to football matches and creating a decent atmosphere, but the unique nature of the ground and above all the setting makes the Stade Louis II a memorable visit.

8. Westfalenstadion (Dortmund) - For those with a passion for terracing and the atmosphere of yore Borussia's ground must be well worth a visit with its massive terrace behind the goal that's the largest in Europe.

9. Allianz Arena (München) - Worth a visit for an evening game just to see the glowing bowl close up. Inside it is admittedly your standard modern arena, albeit an impressive version with sweeping lines and interesting retractable blinds on the roof to allow extra sunlight.

10. La Bombonera (Buenos Aires) - Few people know the real name, I can't be bothered to look it up (Estadio Armando something or other), it's universally known by its nickname meaning "the chocolate box" so called because of the steep terracing and the minimal distance between the stands and the touchline. Seeing the fans behind the goal pour forward and leap onto the fence after a Boca goal is a breathtaking sight and the atmosphere is frenetic and relentless.

11. El Monumental (Buenos Aires) - So La Furia doesn't treat me too harshly. It's a big concrete bowl basically, most famous for the tickertape in 1978 and a raucous atmosphere on matchday.

12. Estadio Azteca (Ciudad de México) - Another legendary stadium in the Americas, it seats 105,000 people and is where Diego Armando Maradona displayed two very different kinds of genius in the 86 world cup.

13. Marcana (Rio de Janeiro) - That other famous stadium in South America, it used to be the largest in the world but the coversion to an all seater venue has seen the capacity drop to 85,000. Due to be renovated for the 2014 world cup and 2016 Olympics Games

14. Celtic Park (Glasgow) - Probably best not to turn up for a match against St Johnstone or Kilmarnock but the atmosphere on European nights can be scintilating and there's no denying the passion of the fans at this ground.

15. Old Trafford (Manchester) - For the truly American matchday experience, complete with Rocky entrance music. Not what it used to be, but it's big and you kind of have to go just once. In fairness on my one visit I was impressed with the noise from the crowd but when they're winning a CL semi final they should make some noise...my scouse friend alleged that the chants were played over the PA but I'm dubious about that.

16. Anfield (Liverpool) - "When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark." The home of what used to be the most atmospheric terrace in Britain. All seater venues have put pay to what The Kop once was, but on some European nights it's still up there with the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

blueduck

I agree with all of them except for OT.

It's honestly not because I'm a City fan, whenever they are losing or aren't playing well you can hear a pin drop. I'd have the Britannia Stadium over OT in that list.

Some times stadiums can be too big, which has an affect on the atmosphere.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Hampden isn't the best stadium, it's terrible really, but the atmosphere is good and it's history and fantastic tour means it's well worth a visit.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
My top 20, in no particular order is:-

1) Marcana
2) Camp Nou
3) San Siro
4) Stade Velodrome
5) Millenium Stadium, Wales
6) Anfield
7) Estádio da Luz
8 ) La Bombonera
9) Allianz Arena
10) Bernabeu
11) Stadio delle Alpi
12) Feyernoord's stadium
13) Athens Olympic Stadium
14) Olympiastadion (world cup 06 final berlin)
15) Celtic Park
16) Estadio Centenario (Uruguay National Stadium)
17) Amsterdam ArenA
18 ) Hampden Park
19) Stadio San Paolo
20) Parc des Prince

Last edited:

VivaBarca

No Celtic Park Ed ? It's better than Hampden.It has best atmosphere in Scotland, good stadium. Only downsides to Celtic Park is the near vertical stairs which are bloody hell scary, I mean I almost broke my ankle on it !

S

Super Pippo

Good thread.

But what area behind the gol are you refering to at the Sansa CA? The Curva? I don't think this is really a place you want to go.

For me:

Estádio Municipal de Braga, (Braga)

3038032437811fc77314.jpg

2 sides are stands, 1 is a cliff, the other a view across the city.

Stadio San Nicola, (Bari)

340701200426e70859d9.jpg

Looks like a spaceship.

Stadio Pierluigi Penzo, (Venezia)

36908184500a78185e6c.jpg

Only stadium in the world where fans and teams arrive by boat.

Estadio Lasesarre Barakaldo, (Bilbao)

3lasesarre.jpg

Just looks amazing.

Craven Cottage, (London)

3528624968931a64a7f8.jpg

It actually has a cottage for a presidents box!

St. Jakob Park, (Basel)

3186220562a2e0d8e684.jpg

Again I just love the look of it.

B

blueduck

15. Old Trafford (Manchester) - For the truly American matchday experience, complete with Rocky entrance music. Not what it used to be, but it's big and you kind of have to go just once. In fairness on my one visit I was impressed with the noise from the crowd but when they're winning a CL semi final they should make some noise...my scouse friend alleged that the chants were played over the PA but I'm dubious about that.

Not so sure about that tbh.
I go to the swamp often (free tickets) and they don't play chants over the PA, but the songs they do play are too loud.
(They seem to like Cher a lot :lol:)

henriklarsson7

some of the music at celtic park pisses me off, they will take a traditional celtic song and turn it into a fukin dj song or something. plus fields of athenry hardly gets played any more which is a right downer, stick to the originals ffs. celtic park during a league game is shite but a game against man utd or barca is incredible :D

Zqa-

Veltins Arena, Gelshenkirchen*, home of Schalke 04.

I'd love to go to Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium in Istanbul as well. Over many of the stadiums listed above.

VivaBarca

I would like to go to the Azteca stadium in Mexico. Great history, good stadium. As long as I don't get swine flu.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
The Venezia and Bari stadiums are sick, admired the Braga one since it was built for the Euros. Also like the new Sporting Lisbon stadium; Jose Arveledze (sp) II.

Such a shame clubs aren't more ambitious with their new stadia designs, the new Cardiff City stadium seems like a flat pack new stadium no different from the Madjeski or what the new Brighton stadium will look like.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I think it's a British thing Lemi, just like with most new buildings it's all about functionality and the lack of imagination is painful. Look at new stadiums on the continent and 99% of the time the designs are original and thoughtful.

Home of Barca Fans