Gianluigi Donnarumma

Messi983

Nothing to see here, Raiola just doing his job offering his player around but in the end he'll either renew with Milan or go to Juve.

FC B

Would be the best deal ever to sell Stegen while bringing Gianluigi on a free as rumoured.

Bobo32

cross posting here:

Donnarumma (Since 2015):
Goals Conceded: 228
Goals Conceded per 90: 1.09
Save percentage: 73.6%
Post-shot xG per Shot on Target: 0.29
Post-shot xG ? Goals Conceded: +10.3
Percentage of passes launched (Excluding goal kicks): 32.7%
Percentage of crosses stopped: 8.6%
Defensive actions outside penalty area per 90: 0.47

ter Stegen (Since 2014):
Goals Conceded: 166
Goals Conceded per 90: 0.92
Save percentage: 75.7%
Post-shot xG/Shot on Target: 0.27
Post-shot xG ? Goals Conceded: +11.3
Percentage of passes launched (Excluding goal kicks): 23.4
Percentage of crosses stopped: 9.4%
Defensive actions outside penalty area per 90: 0.72

edit: taken from this article: https://barcauniversal.com/can-gianluigi-donnarumma-replace-ter-stegen-at-barcelona/

Last edited:

Porque

cross posting here:

Donnarumma (Since 2015):
Goals Conceded: 228
Goals Conceded per 90: 1.09
Save percentage: 73.6%
Post-shot xG per Shot on Target: 0.29
Post-shot xG ? Goals Conceded: +10.3
Percentage of passes launched (Excluding goal kicks): 32.7%
Percentage of crosses stopped: 8.6%
Defensive actions outside penalty area per 90: 0.47

ter Stegen (Since 2014):
Goals Conceded: 166
Goals Conceded per 90: 0.92
Save percentage: 75.7%
Post-shot xG/Shot on Target: 0.27
Post-shot xG ? Goals Conceded: +11.3
Percentage of passes launched (Excluding goal kicks): 23.4
Percentage of crosses stopped: 9.4%
Defensive actions outside penalty area per 90: 0.72

Any data on the total number of shots received, shots saved and corners received?

Naturally the higher number of shots received, the lower the save % will be.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think comparing ter Stegen's stats at Gladbach to Donnarumma's stats at Milan is a more fair comparison.

Anyway, don't think this happens. Just posted the news link since no one else did :shrug:

Bobo32

Any data on the total number of shots received, shots saved and corners received?

Naturally the higher number of shots received, the lower the save % will be.

Edited in the article from where I found the data, worth the read I think.
Shots recieved and saved should be easy to get from goals conceded and save% no?

Rory

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...0-2021&player_id2=08f5afaa&p2yrfrom=2020-2021

I'd just compare their last seasons. Only as good as your last season imo. And Bobo using stats from when 16 year old Donnarumma was starting out with Ter Stegen at 22/23 years old and his stats being only slightly better does nothing for your argument.

Stats from last year show Donnarumma had an above average ability to stop shots PSxG stat of 2.7 whereas Ter Stegens is -1 lol. Passing stats, Donnarumma did roughly the same amount of passes under pressure than Ter Stegen, although Ter Stegen played fewer games. This could simply be because at barca you're expected to play out from the back a lot more. Nothing here suggests Donnarumma would not be able to pass if under pressure from opposition.

Ter Stegen has 9 passes intercepted compared to 2 despite playing 5 less games.

Bobo32

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...0-2021&player_id2=08f5afaa&p2yrfrom=2020-2021

I'd just compare their last seasons. Only as good as your last season imo. And Bobo using stats from when 16 year old Donnarumma was starting out with Ter Stegen at 22/23 years old and his stats being only slightly better does nothing for your argument.

Stats from last year show Donnarumma had an above average ability to stop shots PSxG stat of 2.7 whereas Ter Stegens is -1 lol. Passing stats, Donnarumma did roughly the same amount of passes under pressure than Ter Stegen, although Ter Stegen played fewer games. This could simply be because at barca you're expected to play out from the back a lot more. Nothing here suggests Donnarumma would not be able to pass if under pressure from opposition.

Ter Stegen has 9 passes intercepted compared to 2 despite playing 5 less games.

Donnarumma may have been young, but he had a higher save% then compared to now.
It's not my stats, and I don't base any argument around these stats really. I just like to bring them up and you're the first to respond to them. Maybe I'll delve deeper into them to analyse later...

My main arguments against switching Donnarumma for ter Stegen are that he'd probably be more expensive, and have a style that does not suit Barcelona (both with the ball and more isolated keeper style).
Passing stats say very little about a keepers play with the feet, you have to use your eyes and see the tempo and the thought behind the pass.

Porque

Edited in the article from where I found the data, worth the read I think.
Shots recieved and saved should be easy to get from goals conceded and save% no?

From my calculations.

Donnarumma
Shots received: 877
Total saves: 649

Stegen
Shots received: 692
Total saves: 526

I'd assume the shots received per game is higher for Donnarumma.

Anyways, not going to delve further into the comparison. I personally prefer ter Stegen when he is on form to Donnarumma.

But if Donnarumma was not linked with Raiola and if we had an opportunity to make a decent sale with Stegen, I would equally strongly consider the club looking at that deal as I do not think the drop off would be more than minimal in +/- betweent the pair. Meanwhile Donnarumma seems that he has more growth potential, even if Stegen does suit our possession style more.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans