Gerardo "Tata" Martino

F

Flavia

Please grow a brain. He has the best squad in the entire tournament yet his team is hanging on by a thread in the closing minutes of both matches. It's not just that, the football was so congested and poor in the first half like 13/14 Barca and he readily chose the wrong players (Biglia??? not subbing off Di Maria till the 88th minute??).

He's limited. I don't think he can do better. Argentina need to find a better coach asap.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Please grow a brain. He has the best squad in the entire tournament yet his team is hanging on by a thread in the closing minutes of both matches. It's not just that, the football was so congested and poor in the first half like 13/14 Barca and he readily chose the wrong players (Biglia??? not subbing off Di Maria till the 88th minute??).

Have you watched Argentina in the World Cup by any chance? They didn't exactly steamroll the opponents. Stop blaming Tata for everything. And what's wrong with Biglia? His contribution is essential for the midfield. He does the dirty work and help Mascherano in closing down the holes. There is no one like him in the squad and he was missed in the first match, specially in the second half when the midfield was overrun.

F

Flavia

There were many injury problems in the wc. But during the qualifiers Argentina was pretty good.

spark

Nothing wrong with Biglia tbf, hes a class player. Only question mark is whether he is in form following injury.

AnnieSureshot

Sure he made some mistakes, but he learned very quick. Those mistakes came from constant experimentation, but after figuring out the squad and tactics his subs and tactical variations helped the team to achieve wins. The fact that tata couldn't beat atletico in 6 outings says something. He did not learn from his mistakes.
I did mean Lucho was learning from his mistakes, not Tata...
(Like for example he learned that Neymar shall not be substituted :lol:)

Last edited:

AnnieSureshot

Sorry, are you talking to me?

Barcadub

A nice game vs Jamacia coming up.

They will then face a team who has finished 3rd in their group.

Let's see what Messi does come the knockout stages.

They might grind through the whole tournament.

barcanuck

I miss the DiMaria - Messi - Aguero - Higuain attacking quartet. That's the combo that was ripping up south america for the qualifiers. Sure the form of Dimaria and Higuain dropped but Higuain offers them a true #9 and Messi can take advantage of that the best.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Have you watched Argentina in the World Cup by any chance? They didn't exactly steamroll the opponents. Stop blaming Tata for everything. And what's wrong with Biglia? His contribution is essential for the midfield. He does the dirty work and help Mascherano in closing down the holes. There is no one like him in the squad and he was missed in the first match, specially in the second half when the midfield was overrun.

When you have a player like Banega (who does his fair share of pressing/defensive work), it's almost a given that you play him. It was visible that the left flank was lacking going forward because of the combo of Biglia/Di Maria, things were disjointed. The teamplay was close to isolating Messi and yet that sacrifice didn't even lead to better defensive play. Tata's tactics are wrong and his subs are either wrong or late. It shouldn't be a struggle for a team like Argentina to beat Paraguay or Uruguay without Suarez.

Sorry, are you talking to me?

No :lol: it was a Tata-directed comment. Sorry if it seemed like it was meant for you.

zanela

Nothing wrong with Biglia tbf, hes a class player. Only question mark is whether he is in form following injury.

He's admitted to not being completely match fit. But I'd rather a 70% Biglia who I know will not stop running for the team, over Ever "I go on my attacking adventures and leave the MF exposed" Banega or Fernando glass-made Gago.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I do not know what Tata is doing. The line-up changes are so obvious. This is not about someone like Di Maria (who should see the bench also) who plays horrible but about playing styles and it is beyond me how Tata does not realize that his team needs different kinds of players in midfield.
Argentina is attacking all game basically and every opponent is simply trying to avoid to get exposed by the incredible individual talents upfront. So why are there two holding mids? Please do not come up with it "Biglia brings balance" because in the type of games Argentina is playing in this Copa it is simply not true. He could play an important role against a team like Chile who play attacking football, want to keep the ball and press all the time but Biglia is redundant besides Masche.
Banega is the perfect replacement. He plays kind of a false 10, an attacking mid that drops deeper and likes to orchestrate play which would allow quicker play from the back and would allow Pastore and Messi to connect midfield and attack. Without a player like him there are too much moments where Argentina's attacks become to slow and static or guys like Garay simply kick the ball away under pressure because there is no one in front of him who is able to receive passes under pressure.

Tata stands on the sideline and watches this shit for 80 minutes knowing that there will be no extra time. Of course he is not responsible for scoring (Argentina had chances) but you can not expect to win every game by scoring from let's say 2 good opportunities. You need to have more of them if you control such large parts of the game.

For me this line-up would mean that Argentina would definitely be able to apply a huge amount of pressure all 90 mins: Romero - Zabaleta, Garay, Otamendi, Rojo - Masche, Banega, Pastore - Messi, Agüero (debatable), Lavezzi (because Di Maria is awful right now)
Maybe even Masche for Garay and Biglia besides Banega in midfield but that could be too big of a risk. The squad could be not used to playing without Masche in midfield.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that there it would be very simple to make almost 100% sure that Argentina would create much more scoring chances without losing control of the game and being exposed at the back.

barcanuck

Tata and his late subs piss me off to no end. Put Di Maria back in midfield like Sabella did and throw Aguero, Higuain and Messi up front. That 4 some tore shit up last few years for Argies why stop now.

Home of Barca Fans