Gerardo Martino, new coach of FC Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairzinho

Good tactitian, he can do good.. but we need to sort out our defence or else no coach can help us. 35 year old always injured puyol, completely lost and shadow of his former self Pique, new and inexperienced Bartra and a DM Mascherano is what we have at our CB spot atm.. horrible

Agreed, we still have holes within the team that need to be plugged, particularly in the defence and this should be treated with a matter of urgency. I think at present we're focusing on the big names, Thiago Silva, David Luis etc, when in reality there are hidden gems out there who are near the cusp of greatness. We just need to find them.

Meitux

Agreed, we still have holes within the team that need to be plugged, particularly in the defence and this should be treated with a matter of urgency. I think at present we're focusing on the big names, Thiago Silva, David Luis etc, when in reality there are hidden gems out there who are near the cusp of greatness. We just need to find them.
Its not only about finding them but if we are interested also.We seem not to trying hard and just focus on the big names rather than search for something good.Either way i will always believe that this team needs 2 CB.From the moment Pique and Alves are in it this defence won't be good.

I am sure this guy knows about a few talents in South America that are still unknown and can be picked up at discount prices.

Hopefully he signs a centreback that no one knows about and he turns about to be great.

I can see him signing Doria from Botafogo.

Last edited:

Zachary

Welcome Tata Martino! I'm glad to know that we have a great pick for a coach.
We need a change on the pitch, not in club philosophy. This morning I was watching an interview of a few months back and l really like his knowledgeable, yet humble approach. He sounded very much like Barca material way before the recent events. This guy, without big names in the Paraguay team, managed to impress in 2010 SA WC, to the point of making sweat the favorite and eventual Cup winner, Spain, which, BTW, happens to be a European team.

I’m repeating myself here. We need to be rescued from whatever was victimizing us during our historical departure from the last CL: Status-quo was keeping us there, with no talent to improvise us out of it. Nothing has changed in that respect, nothing. Tata’s hand can only improve this; heck, we were already in trouble against bigger powers way before BM (RM, Chelsea, Milan, Celtic, etc. come to mind). I think Tata is more than capable of applying a new and fresh approach, improving on what tied us down in those nail-biters that eventually led us to that 0-7 tragedy. If that wasn’t hitting rock bottom (for Barca standards) I don’t know what is.
Welcome, Tata.

jairzinho

I can see him signing Doria from Botafogo.

I think, we've already been looking at him even before Tata entered the picture, thanks again in no small part to Rosell's connections. But he's one for the future and wouldn't offer the immediate solution that we are currently seeking. But still though we should make a move as he along with Tiago Casasola from Boca Juniors are quality investments for the future. What we need to be mindful of though is the vulteric approach of the likes of ManCity and Psg who in reality have no proper scouting personnel, or infrastructure in place but rather tend to wait on clubs like us, to show interest in a youngster and then try to grab the player or scupper the deal for a future move. Would Psg have signed Marquinhos without interest from Barca and Man Utd ??. I don't think so.....

Hektor

Hi,

I saw the "Tata" Martino's press conference live and his words regarding Messi were parsed and taken out of context by Marca. What he actually said is he doesn't doubt That Lionel had an input in the decision, but others like the decision makers in Barcelona FC were the one responsible for his hire. He also thanked the all the people along the path of his career (Paraguay, Libertad, Newell's, etc) that without them he would not be here.

What you ha have to keep in mind that Gerardo Martino was voted by Newell's fans as the best player in the history of The club. He played 16 years for Newell's and their best years were in the mid 80's when Martino was the emblematic player and Bielsa was the coach - Newell's golden years. Jorge Messi's idols, (Lionel's father) a Newell's fanatic, were Tata and Bielsa. Does anyone think that the Messis were not excited about Tata? Did they hire him? No! Another thing to keep in mind. Sandro Rossell's wife is Argentine and he travels there very often. Rossell was aware of Tata for years.

Hektor

flamenco

1070061_698746986832187_1636132374_n.jpg

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I think, we've already been looking at him even before Tata entered the picture, thanks again in no small part to Rosell's connections. But he's one for the future and wouldn't offer the immediate solution that we are currently seeking. But still though we should make a move as he along with Tiago Casasola from Boca Juniors are quality investments for the future. What we need to be mindful of though is the vulteric approach of the likes of ManCity and Psg who in reality have no proper scouting personnel, or infrastructure in place but rather tend to wait on clubs like us, to show interest in a youngster and then try to grab the player or scupper the deal for a future move. Would Psg have signed Marquinhos without interest from Barca and Man Utd ??. I don't think so.....

Well, let's not underestimate Leonardo and his scouting team - Marquinhos is actually a great talent from a very good team. But let's be honest, PSG paid 40M for him? F*cking hell, they are loaded and moneys is no object to them. It's been said before, but these 'nouveau riche' clubs just kills it - now 'normal' teams can't buy any half-decent player for a market price because everybody thinks they have a diamond because clubs like PSG, Monaco or even Chelski pay stupid amount of money for young prospect who are not all that.

desoe

He has my full support. I'm actually kinda excited to see what he'll bring to the table. I think the board made a risky, but a worthy decision. Enrique was somehow the comfortable option, but Tata looks like a whole different level above him.

I think Barca was in need for a decision like that. Something to shake the team a little bit, to get it out off its comfort zone. Not a drastic decision like Bielsa, but something like Martino.

Good luck, Tata. Bring something new to this team, make it evolve.

Zachary

Best of luck to him.

Thank God we didn't get that madman Bielsa..

Actually, Bielsa is an excellent coach in regards to what happens on the pitch. Whenever things went "normal" he shined. Look at the beatiful football that Chile exhibited during the last WC, when most commentators praised their play as one of the best. Then, look at the victory at Old Trafford by Athletic, not only the result, but the spectacular manner in which they humbled ManU. He made fans happy, BUT THEN, unfortunately, there is his off the pitch mannerism and his mouth and that's where all the good goes down the drain. They say Tata follows Bielsa style to a certain extent, which on the pitch is not necessarily a bad thing, however, Tata is 180 deg the opposite when it comes to dealing with his players off the pitch and with colleagues and administration around him . He's not spoiled. Bielsa is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans