Gabriel Jesus

YayaCrazy

Right, I have big news.
A reliable sports news website has just published that Alexandre Mattos went to Barcelona to listen to an offer, he is not there to sell GJ, he is there to talk about an offer. Barça wants a first option clause and doesn't want to buy GJ now.
I think Barça will do something similar to what they to Neymar. Pay something now for GJ, let he plays for Palmeiras for a while and then pay the rest.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We're back on track again

jTHPmu6.0.gif

gregorrin10

Right, I have big news.
A reliable sports news website has just published that Alexandre Mattos went to Barcelona to listen to an offer, he is not there to sell GJ, he is there to talk about an offer. Barça wants a first option clause and doesn't want to buy GJ now.
I think Barça will do something similar to what they to Neymar. Pay something now for GJ, let he plays for Palmeiras for a while and then pay the rest.

Just hoping that we don't end up paying to a 3rd party just to get first option on him or some shady crap like we did with Neymar.:neymar:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If it becomes any similar to the Neymar deal then we'll close a deal by paying Palmeiras a bit now, insert a penalty clause in case they breach it, and pay the rest and sign him at a later date.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Alright, taken from Wikipedia, it appears first option only provides us with the right to match another offer from another club:

ROFR (Right of first refusal): Abe owns a house and Bo offers to buy that house for $1 million. However, Carl holds a right of first refusal to purchase the house. Therefore, before Abe can sell the house to Bo, he must first offer it to Carl for the $1 million the Bo is willing to buy it for. If Carl accepts, he buys the house instead of Bo. If Carl declines, Bo may now buy the house at the proposed $1 million price.

My question now is, say if both of us and Real Madrid offer the same amount for him, does his own personal wish matter or does he have to join us because of first option we have on him?

xXKonan

If it came down to just Real and us he would have to choose based on his personal choice.

It happened with us last summer when we Right of first refusal on Gerson, it became a tug of war between us and Roma and in the end Gerson chose Roma over us because he felt like it was the best choice for his development.

Jombi

Good news if its a real meaningful first option with teeth/penalty clauses etc. I understand he wants to stay with Palmeiras until the season finishes and we can wait until January. News about us wanting to loan a striker is also consistent with these rumors so it all seems to be consistent.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If it came down to just Real and us he would have to choose based on his personal choice.

It happened with us last summer when we Right of first refusal on Gerson, it became a tug of war between us and Roma and in the end Gerson chose Roma over us because he felt like it was the best choice for his development.

But in theory nothing is guaranteed, even if we chose to match up the offer of another club, the player's wish still has to be respected, correct?

Sounds like a very weak assurance.

xXKonan

But in theory nothing is guaranteed, even if we chose to match up the offer of another club, the player's wish still has to be respected, correct?

Sounds like a very weak assurance.
But with the Gerson, case I do think we could've went the extra mile in getting him but we decided against it in the end. but with Gabriel Jesus? no way we will let him slip if it came down to it.

We will likely go the Neymar, route except without all the shady BS that was involved in it.

khaled_a_d

But with the Gerson, case I do think we could've went the extra mile in getting him but we decided against it in the end. but with Gabriel Jesus? no way we will let him slip if it came down to it.

We will likely go the Neymar, route except without all the shady BS that was involved in it.

We got another 1st option,a new buy option with Gerson from Roma to let him go.if we wanted him we could have snatched him.
We simply didn't want him that much and still got our money back with even more favorable options.

Can someone explain how first option works again for me please?

-Technically it is like what you said,if a club got a 1st option on a player.then a 3rd club reached an agreement to buy him then the selling club will have to inform the club with 1st option about the details of the deal.Then the club with the 1st option can match in 24 hours or whatever the time they have agreed.

-The player wish thing isn't clear.remember all the discussions about the buyback option and what if a player decided against it?It is the same thing.some would say it could be agreed with the player from the start and then he has no option but to join.some would say player wish is always granted and if he said no it is no.

-I don't think that 1st option is about what is written on paper.It is simply a sort of a gentleman agreement that if you are selling your player,you have to go through me 1st.
If a club decides to sell with another club 1st option who has interest in him,there is no point of going other way 1st.I think it give us advantage in signing players.but it isn't an advantage that will make us get a player if a club is willing to pay twice what we are offering for example.and it really depends on if we really wants the player.Last year we got 1st option on Marlon,Kenedy & Gerson from Fluminense.
Chelsea wanted Kenedy and we really didn't have interest on him so we passed and the deal went smoothly.We wanted Gerson so when Roma offered 150% of what we offered they still had to go through us.we still got ourselves a good deal actually as I said above.we then got Marlon for loan and a buy option.

Messi983

Players wish is always the most important. You can't sell player to the club he doesn't want to go.

First option doesn't always guarantee you to get a player. It's just that if the club is desperate for money and decides to take an offer of let's say 5M for player X from smaller club like Villarreal (who is not financially as powerfull as we are) then they can't say: "no, you are Barça, you have money and must pay 10M for him." But once all big clubs are after player and his price is driven up first option usually doesn't mean much (unless you can also get a clause in his contract to get him for lower price than his usual buy out clause is - like GJ has 24M clause for Barça, RM and two or three other clubs and then 40M for all other clubs in the world - not that many of them can afford him or that he's willing to join them but still helpful). Then it comes down to a player which club he'll choose.

So I think first option is more usable on players like Marlon than Gabriel Jesus. Players that don't really have a "superstar" status yet in their league but at the same time players that club with first option like and is willing to gamble a bit on them for relatively low price like we did with Marlon. If you can also get a loan to get even better evaluation of his abilities before finally buying him then even better.

Home of Barca Fans