France Football accuses Qatar of bribing votes for the 2022 World Cup

AURELIUS

The issue with Turkey is a European one. Turkey by footballing standards is European and Fifa try to rotate World cups so Turkey 2022 is unlikely. Also I think Turkey are going for Euro 2024.

Brazil is footballs second home and they didn't bribe their way to hosting.

Is it ? The major developments in football were first made across the River Plate in Argentina and Uruguay. This always seems to get overlooked here. A lot of the footballing culture in countries like Colombia, Chile and Peru is through the transfer of Argentine, Uruguayan players, coaches and the adoption of the fan culture.

As for 2018/2022 there is no doubt petrodollars were involved. Clarin/La Nacion reported at the time Don Julio had received money into his Swiss bank accounts.

Kerrybai

2030 will be Argentina-Uruguay given it will be the centenary. 2018 will be Russia so perhaps the AFC will move it to China ? They have the stadiums.

Coca Cola are now wanting an investigation into the Qatar bid. If other sponsors get on board well. The treatment of workers there is diabolical.

I think Australia or the USA will get 2022. Giving it to China will just raise more human rights issues etc.

Sony and Adidas are also calling for a full investigation.

It's worth noting too that Qatar can't legally challenge a re vote as their signed away their rights to do so.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think Australia or the USA will get 2022. Giving it to China will just raise more human rights issues etc.

Sony and Adidas are also calling for a full investigation.

It's worth noting too that Qatar can't legally challenge a re vote as their signed away their rights to do so.

If Russia is allowed to host the 2018 WC, I don't see why we should be treated differently.

Kerrybai

If Russia is allowed to host the 2018 WC, I don't see why we should be treated differently.
That's not really the point I was trying to make. If Qatar loses 2022 then Fifa will want to give it to a country which won't damage their reputation further or cause any more issues. Giving it to China just gives more ammunition to journalists who will find things to complain about. After this whole messi they will want to improve their reputation.

Your point is valid though.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's not really the point I was trying to make. If Qatar loses 2022 then Fifa will want to give it to a country which won't damage their reputation further or cause any more issues. Giving it to China just gives more ammunition to journalists who will find things to complain about. After this whole messi they will want to improve their reputation.

Your point is valid though.

I see what you are trying to say there, Kerry! Haha :xavi::p

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
because two wrongs don't make a right, though your frustration is understandable

It is just that there are so much double standard, hypocrisy and sometimes downright ignorance, misperceptions and self-righteousness going around these days.

People tend to be too judgmental, especially those living in first-world democracies, thinking they have a true picture on everything because of "free press".

That said, I will be the first person to admit that we have a ton of problems and issues, probably more than any other country does.

King Leo

Banned
it's not an IF, you can safely say Qatar lost the 2022 WC and they wont try to appeal the decision. The voting will be allowed again but more politics in that decision than you may think, The vote on Russia 2018 will also be retaken! This is western pressure on Putin in its finest. Will Russia allow more international isolation in light of its occupation of Crimea or will they draw back and ease the tension with the west. It's a carrot-&-stick strategy.

I think Russia will keep right to host 2018 at the end.

so which country should host the 2022 WC? UK? but that's right after Russia so I doubt it. How about China? Fifa can see in this a major expansion of the sport. I hope US bids again.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
If Qatar are found to have bribed officials to win the 2022 World Cup then the only fair option would be to give it to the UK, who lost the 2018 bid because of it.

Kerrybai

If Qatar are found to have bribed officials to win the 2022 World Cup then the only fair option would be to give it to the UK, who lost the 2018 bid because of it.

How do you figure that? The UK came last in the 2018 bid. The US finished second to Qatar for 2022.

I think China expressed interest in 2026 so giving it to the US opens up the door perfectly for China 2026. They won't give it to Europe consecutively and if Australia get it then that closes the door for China 2022 as Australia would be considered Asia. 2030 looks like an Argentina/Uruguay centenary edition.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
How do you figure that? The UK came last in the 2018 bid. The US finished second to Qatar for 2022.

I think China expressed interest in 2026 so giving it to the US opens up the door perfectly for China 2026. They won't give it to Europe consecutively and if Australia get it then that closes the door for China 2022 as Australia would be considered Asia. 2030 looks like an Argentina/Uruguay centenary edition.
It won't have Messi :cry:

Home of Barca Fans