Florentino Perez

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Luft gets such a kick praising finances.

Like, it's great when he posts impressive yearly budget summaries mid-Covid, but nobody cares when all it leads to is an investment of 3-4 year profits forked out on one player with 1 year of contract left

Perez isn't that much of a genius.
Impressive at creating clout for himself for sure, but some folk are ridiculous with praise. That American fan site Managing Madrid can't stop itself posting how great it is that Perez is looking forward 30 years by converting Bernabeu into a town square and a shopping mall. It's embarrassing frankly.

At this rate the rumoured West Ham interest in Hazard might result in us paying them 25 + 60 in bonuses just so they take him

Huh? What are you talking about there?

Florentino's vision on the new bernabeu is great, I don't know about town square since the space around your stadium is pretty tight but shopping mall is a great idea that I envy so much, I wish we could borrow the idea. Florentino's idea is to have a cinema along with many retail stores selling all sorts of stuff, generating not just rent for you guys but also foot traffic to your own stores (2 of them) and create other opportunities when you are not playing any games, say during the week etc. While I have my doubts (how many people will actually go there for non-football or sports related activities) and I guess we have to wait and see, but it is a marvelous idea, you have to give it to him. The goal is to generate additional revenue for your club. One might not like it but traditional clubs need all the help they need to compete with the state and oil clubs.

Business side he is a genius. Footballing side he is not bad either, just look at the sales he has made vs. ours.

I wish we could hire him as a business consultant, if he ever loses a future election. :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

It's not a bad idea. A lot of tourists visit Camp Nou and could end up buying other things than football jerseys.

Also, for example, Barcelona. Camp Nou is kind of isolated. Having there more restaurants/businesses wouldn't be a bad thing at all. You could spend more time and more $$$$.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
[MENTION=13941]Luftstalag14[/MENTION]
We won't agree. I can't fathom converting a football stadium into a temple of consumerism just to make more money for the club. Just can't get behind the idea. I don't give a fuck it creates revenue and might grow a fanbase because that growth would be facilitated by attracting people who don't come to Bernabeu for football in the first place. We have enough fans who go to stadium and sit there watching the game with an attitude like it's an opera concert they went to.

No way.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It's not a bad idea. A lot of tourists visit Camp Nou and could end up buying other things than football jerseys.

Also, for example, Barcelona. Camp Nou is kind of isolated. Having there more restaurants/businesses wouldn't be a bad thing at all. You could spend more time and more $$$$.

Our idea is similar but not nearly as ambitious as Real Madrid's. I think we want to build a couple of new club stores and possibly several cafes and restaurants operated by the club itself, that's pretty much it. Basically people would go there with the intent to experience Barca, otherwise they wouldn't come vs. Real Madrid taking full advantage of the business potential, like for example I can go to Bernabeu to buy a PS5 because the closest Sony store is there, even if I don't like football or Real Madrid at all.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Watch Madrid theme park is next. Merengueland.

Believe it or not, under Bartomeu the Barca theme park was seriously considered, but hadn't been fully implemented other than one small one in Haikou, China and a floating exhibition that has gone through Mexico, Israel etc. so far.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
[MENTION=13941]Luftstalag14[/MENTION]
We won't agree. I can't fathom converting a football stadium into a temple of consumerism just to make more money for the club. Just can't get behind the idea. I don't give a fuck it creates revenue and might grow a fanbase because that growth would be facilitated by attracting people who don't come to Bernabeu for football in the first place. We have enough fans who go to stadium and sit there watching the game with an attitude like it's an opera concert they went to.

No way.

I understand where you are coming from Wolfe but at the end of the day sports is business and sports is a form of entertainment. Whatever keeps the clubs afloat and stay competitive these days, given the huge oil money from the middle east.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Can't blame him for not having ideas.

Bartomeu actually had some brilliant ideas and was quite visionary when it comes to exploring sources of new revenues, for example launching BIHUB, Barca Studios and BLM (which Real Madrid followed suit on all ideas after us, by the way), but his skills and discipline to manage our spending to make sure we don't spend beyond our means, along with the ability to not cave in under pressure etc. absolutely suck.

Windhook

Bartomeu actually had some brilliant ideas and was quite visionary when it comes to exploring sources of new revenues, for example launching BIHUB, Barca Studios and BLM (which Real Madrid followed suit on all ideas after us, by the way), but his skills and discipline to manage our spending to make sure we don't spend beyond our means, along with the ability to not cave in under pressure etc. absolutely suck.

Forgive me for the side question - was Barto on board when Laporta won the elections in 2003?

El Gato

Villarato!
Also in case it wasn't clear

Huh? What are you talking about there?

The latest line of praise was that Perez was 100% correct in offering 220M for Mbappe
The media which almost unilaterally interpret everything Perez does as a genius masterplan have suggested that Perez has for years been planning the 200M acquisition of Kylian Mbappe 1 year ahead of his contract expiring.
(fucking ridiculous but hey, that's what they're saying)
The net profits we made during Covid (somewhere around 40 + 230 in 19/20 and 20/21? can't remember exact numbers) have been carefully distributed to top up the necessary margins to make the deal happen.
Or so the pro-Perez folks would have you believe. Basically they're saying it was his plan all along to show how big Madrid dick still is while also showing that the state-run clubs are a huge threat as they can simply offer 1000s of dosh to buy a player and subsequently enslave them against their will if they want to go.
And while the latter makes obvious sense, it's brought up only as a way to reinforce the narrative that Perez is the wise master that sees all.
Which is invaluable with Super League project probably never going away since it was initially squashed. Perez needs all clout he can get to make it happen and to finally place himself in the record books as the man that has revolutionised football as we know it (+ probably down the line have his name smacked front and centre of the new Bernabeu).

I understand where you are coming from Wolfe but at the end of the day sports is business and sports is a form of entertainment. Whatever keeps the clubs afloat and stay competitive these days, given the huge oil money from the middle east.

Lol you're saying it like RM was begging for money to stay afloat these last 15-20 years.
This new 'design' for stadium facilities & fanbase is not about progressing the club or fighting vs oil magnates - it's nothing more than the growth of Perez name and brand who always wanted the clout and celebrity culture above all, because it means he'll make more money. Only about being seen as the new millenium president, the 2nd coming of Santiago Bernabeu. Nowt more than ego trip.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans