Financial Fair Play (News, debates, opinions, Platini, etc.)

JamDav1982

You see only what is directly in front of you, so I'll explain. The deal places the value of French TV rights in the same tier as the Spanish and Italian leagues, just above the Bundesliga. The primary owners of Ligue 1's broadcasting rights are Canal + and Beinsports, with the former owning tier 1 rights as the latter was focused on successfully securing rights to the UCL . Now, Bein is a subsidiary of Al Jeezera, also owned by Qatar, and is growing like wildfire, particularly in the Americas, North Africa, and west Asia. Remember that QSI purchased PSG in 2011, and negotiations for the rights of Ligue 1 took place in 2014, where they pushed the bid to nearly $1b.

Now, if Aljezeera/Bein were willing and able to push Canal + to bid nearly 1b just for the rights to the tier 1 Ligue 1 package in 2014, never mind what they spent to broadcast the UCL, Europa, La Liga, Serie A, etc; given the upward trajectory of both the league and football money in general(I point to the precedent set by the EPL), how much do you suppose they'll be willing to bid next time they come to the table?

The new tv deal increased by 120m and is behind a non collective deal in Spain which will likely be around 250m more at least than French when collective deal agreed.

I believe the tv deal in Italy is 1 billion euros a season so close to 300m better than France.

From what I can see canal+ have paid 726m euros not 1 billion.

So for example Lyon are getting say 6m euros more from this tv deal and from what I can see have got a shirt sponsorship of 2m more.

Not seeing how this increase suddenly allows clubs in France to build stadiums/training grounds and keep their best players when income barely gone up by 10m euros in a league that was not generating a lot of money in the past.

Jair Ventura

The new tv deal increased by 120m and is behind a non collective deal in Spain which will likely be around 250m more at least than French when collective deal agreed.

I believe the tv deal in Italy is 1 billion euros a season so close to 300m better than France.

From what I can see canal+ have paid 726m euros not 1 billion.

So for example Lyon are getting say 6m euros more from this tv deal and from what I can see have got a shirt sponsorship of 2m more.

Not seeing how this increase suddenly allows clubs in France to build stadiums/training grounds and keep their best players when income barely gone up by 10m euros in a league that was not generating a lot of money in the past.

I was using the dollar, but the point remains:

The sum represents a significant increase on the 607 million euros paid for the TV rights for the French top flight up to 2016, and puts Ligue 1 among the most valuable leagues in the world.

"This sum approaches what we expected," said LFP president Frédéric Thiriez. "I wanted a league on the podium of the three best European nations, and I think we have done it, ahead of Germany and at the same level as Spain."

Thiriez added: "The market has spoken. The price was fixed by those acquiring the rights in a fair, competitive environment. With this 20 percent increase, France is on the European podium, at the place it deserves. We're happy to have kept our two principal partners. Our clubs and our broadcasters are going to have the visibility they need. They will continue to tell the story of the Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 championships for the next six seasons."

http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/article/record-sum-paid-for-ligue-1-tv-rights.htm

JamDav1982

Not it doesnt the point totally changes if you compare dollars in French tv contract to euros for Spain and Italy.

How can you say France in same tier as Italy for tv contract when they earn close to 300m less?!!

If anything I would say the gap between England, Spain and Italy vs France will be higher in coming years not closer.

From what I read the actually got less for the French tv contract than expected.

JamDav1982

You asked how PSG's emergence has helped the rest of France, then when various positives are pointed out to you, you either try to argue them down or are flustered by the answer. What gives?

A small team in lower leagues being backed shows strength in French Football?

Would be willing to be you could find examples like that in almost every country going.

Jair Ventura

Not it doesnt the point totally changes if you compare dollars in French tv contract to euros for Spain and Italy.

How can you say France in same tier as Italy for tv contract when they earn close to 300m less?!!

If anything I would say the gap between England, Spain and Italy vs France will be higher in coming years not closer.

From what I read the actually got less for the French tv contract than expected.

Apparently you can't read. Jesus.

Jair Ventura

A small team in lower leagues being backed shows strength in French Football?

I don't know if you're serious or not anymore. You asked how the emergence of PSG has aided the rest of French football, and billionaires buying Parisian clubs with the intent of investing to the point of making them a French power is representative of that.

There is no answer that will make the increase in value/interest in the French league plain. You're arguing just to argue.

Last edited:

Bertus

[MENTION=19661]Juvens[/MENTION] [MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION]

Calm down guys.

You're not even discussing the FFP anymore just to say.

And too much of the discussion is based on things we still don't know about.

We don't know how much of the FFP will be amended on June 30. If some of you like JamDav wants to criticize Platini, you could actually wait to see what will be amended.

In the meantime, please keep it civil.

JamDav1982

I don't know if you're serious or not anymore. You asked how the emergence of PSG has aided the rest of French football, and billionaires buying Parisian clubs with the intent of investing to the point of making them a French power isn't representative of that.

There is no answer that will make the increase in value/interest in the French league plain. You're arguing just to argue.

Its quite clear how much the value of tv contract went up .....120m EUROS.

You think Paris FC will become a French power?

Ok lets see.

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

I can read fine but about level of come back expected when no where else to go.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Makes about as much sense as you arguing against a 20% increase in the value of Ligue 1 broadcasting rights as a positive benefit brought about via the emergence of PSG.

Whatever. You'll be unhappy in a month, we won't.

JamDav1982

A 20% increase over the last contract. Somehow, this isn't a positive.

Of course 20% is a positive in comparison to before but that is not the point. The point is how much a difference you state the 20% will make to the French League going forward.

1. We dont know how much it would have increased to without PSG as 2008 contract was also a record. It was a pattern in most leagues of tv contracts going up.

2. The 20% increase averages about 6m per club which is good but nowhere near the benefit you try to make out or amounts that are going to change the league a great deal

3. In comparison to other leagues the 20% may not even bridge a gap. With England, Spain and Italy likely to be further ahead of France soon than they were before.

Home of Barca Fans