Fifa Women's Worldcup 2023

El Gato

Villarato!
Lauren James has a decent shot on her
Also a bit bone headed like her brother

England have been trash in first knockout I've seen and all it took Nigeria to compete was being as or more athletic (that LB they have is being wasted at LB, bit like Gareth Bale gap to her competitors)

Jamaica vs Colombia been terrible

At least Yanks are out

Doesn't bode well for the quality of this knockout stage tho

Horatio

You're welcome
Haven't watched a lot of it but going by scorelines seems a bit dead this tournament. Could it be the heat in Australia and New Zealand?

Horatio

You're welcome
England have been trash in first knockout I've seen and all it took Nigeria to compete was being as or more athletic (that LB they have is being wasted at LB, bit like Gareth Bale gap to her competitors)
Had exactly same thoughts seeing the summary of Netherlands - South Africa. Way the South African team moved in terms of pace was fare more akin to male counterpart. At least from midfield and up. Maybe South African's defense was whack. Their keeper had a blunder so maybe that's why Netherlands won.

Porque

Haven't watched a lot of it but going by scorelines seems a bit dead this tournament. Could it be the heat in Australia and New Zealand?

Temps are good mate in Australia. NZ on the other hand...

200_d.gif

Rory

Standard has been pretty poor. I've tried to enjoy it but just can't. Don't understand the need for the pitches to be the same size as mens. Also the goals are too big for the women goalkeepers. Genuinely think you could just pelt the ball 45 yards out at the goal and as long as it's high enough the keeper can do fuck all. The amount of long shots I've seen from stupid angles and with the same power as a lofted pass nearly go in is a bit ridiculous.

El Gato

Villarato!
Had exactly same thoughts seeing the summary of Netherlands - South Africa. Way the South African team moved in terms of pace was fare more akin to male counterpart. At least from midfield and up. Maybe South African's defense was whack. Their keeper had a blunder so maybe that's why Netherlands won.
Yh, gives me PTSD from Poles playing African/South American sides

Standardwise, no wonder women's footie is where it's at with efforts that seem meek (for blokes used to watching men hit it) going in
Some of these women like Jamaicans only being pro player for like 6 months
Ought to afford them their own standard and investing in improvement rather than having immediate recall to games in divisions with 100 years of history
It's not like our impressions from watching games of football from 1920s or 1940s would be any different
It's just the best it can be right now and will keep improving
Difficult task as is considering nowadays you have to think of ways to sell it as a product to get people interested in rather than how men's football grew early days

They really do desperately need some change of format to account for development gaps though
I mean it can't stay as is, gaps between the 3-5 best sides and the rest are stupid huge, like these in men's tournaments in early 20th century where 2-4 decent teams were noteworthy and had to play a team like Egypt that had national team only, no players in leagues abroad, and whipped them by 7 goals

Also - commentators on British TV need to lighten up and think of some anecdotes when games are trash. It doesnt help viewer when players are fumbling the ball away and cant keep possession to save their lives and they're just sitting there awkwardly trying to think of something to talk about

El Gato

Villarato!
All that said, a really lovely opening goal in France-Morocco

And Herve Renard is the manager? Think I know who I'm rooting for

Home of Barca Fans