Fernando Torres Vs David Villa

F

fried chicken

I have been having a discussion with a friend about who is more complete. So rate on a scale from 1 to 10 both players in terms of the following attributes. Few free to add attributes I missed out on.

Dribbling
Pace
Strength
Passing
Technique
Finishing
Shooting
Heading
Creativity
Positioning
Ball control
One touch play
Decision Making

EDIT: just realised I mistyped David Villa. Can some one please change it.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
hey, welcome to the forum buddy
But this doesn't belong here, there's a 'polls' section for this

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Rating them out of 10 is pretty difficult, here's a list of who is better at what IMO

Dribbling: Torres is a decent dribbler for his size, however Villa is still a much better dribbler and can manoeuvre through tighter space with the ball..advantage Villa.

Pace: Villa is more explosive, Torres is faster...Though I personally think Villa's acceleration has more use than Torres' raw speed, this one is basically a draw.

Strength: Villa is strong for his height but his height still limits him, while Torres has a better mix of height and strength..advantage Torres.

Passing: Hands down Villa.

Technique: See passing.

Finishing: It depends on what kind of finishing..they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but Villa is more well rounded.

Shooting: Villa has a more consistent shot from long distance and awkward angles, and so once again for well roundedness I'd go Villa.

Heading: In this case height does matter..Torres.

Creativity: Villa is one of the craftiest players out there, and while Torres has good vision it's not elite the way Villa's is.

Positioning: Villa is in the debate for the best off the ball movement in the game, easily Villa.

Ball control: Villa has superior dribbling skill, balance, and agility in tight spaces, easily Villa.

One touch play: Once again Villa easily.. Villa's a much better supporting player than Torres.

Decision Making: Villa

XaviMessiGirl

A lot of this is hard to say since Villa outperforms Torres in most cases on the Spanish NT but if you were to rate Torres performance on Liverpool it would be a different story. So really it's completely situational imo.

Torres strengths are pace, pure strength of his shots, heading for sure, and I rate him high on first touch as well. Villa on the other hand is a much more technical and creative player, he can make decisions easier on the fly and I think is much more team-oriented (passing etc.)

In top CLUB FORM I rate both of them pretty high, neither one necessarily better than the other but both play different styles with certain strengths superior over the other. However on the national squad, Villa is more consistent, although the fantastic Torres-Villa link is one of the reasons that Villa IS so successful besides Villa's skills alone (ignore the poor performance of Torres this WC, we all know it's been bad but we all also know why).

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Isn't technique inter-related to both passing and dribbling? There are pure dribblers, like for example Robinho, who ain't that great at passing but still considered 'technical' & there are people like Fabregas, Xavi, etc who are great at passing and not so great at dribbling(I do know they are both under-rated when it comes to dribbling but still they ain't a world-beater like Ronaldo or Messi at that!!) and are believed the best in the business when it comes to 'technique'

Iniesta, Messi, Kaka, etc are among those who are both brilliant on the ball and at penetrating the ball through defenses...

So who should be considered exactly the best in technique? Or does technique means being brilliant on the ball like having great first-touch and having a good control on it? Like Ronaldinho, Messi, Iniesta, etc

Edit : Just remembered, the discussion about 'technical' did happen some time back while discussing Paulo Henrique & Nilmar

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

Yeah technique is a subjective word, it could mean anything... to me it goes hand in hand with creativity, coming up with fresh new ideas to constantly surprise the opposition.

The main reason I say that is because I rate it higher than most would, at least on here. He gets more flak for it than I think he deserves. not necessarily because I think he's better than Villa at it (certainly not on the national squad, but I more or less covered that in my post anyway) but on Liverpool I think he has a fine first touch. I'll get laughed at anyway but I don't care :lol:

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
The main reason I say that is because I rate it higher than most would, at least on here. He gets more flak for it than I think he deserves. not necessarily because I think he's better than Villa at it (certainly not on the national squad, but I more or less covered that in my post anyway) but on Liverpool I think he has a fine first touch. I'll get laughed at anyway but I don't care :lol:

Torres' first touch is decent. He isn't exactly Patrick Kluivert but it's not a weakness, though I can't say his first touch is great either.. I would say Villa has a considerably better touch in my opinion, I feel like Torres needs considerable space to work with the ball.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
villa is better than torres at everything except heading, being strong, and looking like a girl.

seriously, what is the point of this thread?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Dribbling:- Villa 8/10 Torres 7/10

Pace:- Villa 7/10 Torres 9/10

Strength:- Villa 8/10 Torres 9/10 (when he wants to be)

Passing:- Villa 9/10 Torres 6/10

Technique:- Villa 9/10 Torres 7/10

Finishing:- Villa 10/10 Torres 10/10

Shooting:- Villa 9/10 Torres 9/10

Heading:- Villa 6/10 Torres 9/10

Creativity:- Villa 8/10 Torres 6/10

Positioning:- Villa 9/10 Torres 8/10

Ball control:- Villa 9/10 Torres 8/10

One touch play:- Villa 9/10 Torres 7/10

Decision Making:- Villa 9/10 Torres 9/10 (VERY underrated is torres's decision making)

Both are world class players, if an individual made a case for Villa to be better or for Torres to be better, I would not argue with either scenario.

zanela

villa is better than torres at everything except heading, being strong, and looking like a girl.

seriously, what is the point of this thread?

Exactly

I do, however, concur with La Furia's assessment of both players. Torres relies too much on pace and athleticism, exclude both and he wont be half the player he is now. Extremely overrated in the EPL and its followers.

In top CLUB FORM I rate both of them pretty high, neither one necessarily better than the other but both play different styles with certain strengths superior over the other. However on the national squad, Villa is more consistent, although the fantastic Torres-Villa link is one of the reasons that Villa IS so successful besides Villa's skills alone (ignore the poor performance of Torres this WC, we all know it's been bad but we all also know why).

Torres has always underperformed for his national team. I believe if you're top-class your quality 'll shine through in any team or circumstance. Villa being a case in point. He has been a success at both club and intl level. I wouldn't really attribute Villa's success to his link-up with Torres 'cause although he benefits from playing off a targetman, he has delivered regardless and scored plenty of goals for Spain without Torres's assistance. Villa would be just as succesful if it was Llorente in Torres's place. The man is exceptionally talented to be too reliant on any one particular factor.

"In the country of the blind, the one eyed man is king" , Thats Liverpool and Torres for you. :p If you look at the quality around him or the lack thereof, one can understand why you rate his first touch.:p He certainly doesn't 've a "fine" first touch. It can be very erratic and inconsistent. He'll stand out in a decent team(pool) but put him in a talented team(Spain) with top quality ard him, he gets outshined by his teammates. Either he can't handle pressure while playing for his country or hes just not as good as his fans or the EPL media claim him to be. For me, its a bit of both.

Isn't technique inter-related to both passing and dribbling? There are pure dribblers, like for example Robinho, who ain't that great at passing but still considered 'technical' & there are people like Fabregas, Xavi, etc who are great at passing and not so great at dribbling(I do know they are both under-rated when it comes to dribbling but still they ain't a world-beater like Ronaldo or Messi at that!!) and are believed the best in the business when it comes to 'technique'

How is Ronaldo a world-beater at dribbling? :wacko: His 'dribbling' is redundant in tight spaces and more often loses the ball on one-ones. Kicks the ball and tries to outpace his man. Thts basically his modus operandi. His 'dribbling' was effective in the 06/07 season when he used quick feet and change of directions to lose his markers but these days he struggles to get past anyone. Even Pedro is a better dribbler, so comparing him to Xavi and Fabregas is quite off the mark. The latter 2 can actually manouevre around a defender with ball skills, slight body feints etc.

So who should be considered exactly the best in technique? Or does technique means being brilliant on the ball like having great first-touch and having a good control on it? Like Ronaldinho, Messi, Iniesta, etc

Technique is the procedure or the manner in which you execute the fundamentals or the various aspects of the game. Its the way in which you perform a dribble, strike a ball(be it passing, shooting, taking setpieces), bring a ball in control or head it. The better the technique, the greater success at these aspects and as a player.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
How is Ronaldo a world-beater at dribbling? :wacko: His 'dribbling' is redundant in tight spaces and more often loses the ball on one-ones. Kicks the ball and tries to outpace his man. Thts basically his modus operandi. His 'dribbling' was effective in the 06/07 season when he used quick feet and change of directions to lose his markers but these days he struggles to get past anyone. Even Pedro is a better dribbler, so comparing him to Xavi and Fabregas is quite off the mark. The latter 2 can actually manouevre around a defender with ball skills, slight body feints etc..

:worthy:

Home of Barca Fans