FC Barcelona Tactics

Hamzah

High Definition Member
i have figured it out. how to fit everyone in the team and get the best out of them, and even have rotation.

-----------valdes-----------
-------puyol--pique--------
alves-----------------abidal
-----------sergio-----------
-----iniesta-------xavi-----
-------------messi---------
---------ibra------villa-----

here ibra has a partner which massively suits him and its the system he likes, and villa can come from the left but not on the wing so thats his preferred role. as we know messi is drifting inside from the right more and more so playing in that role favours him, iniesta and xavi and sergio run the midfield and we know abidal and alves can run up and down and give width superbly.

Trequartista

The good
i have figured it out. how to fit everyone in the team and get the best out of them, and even have rotation.

here ibra has a partner which massively suits him and its the system he likes, and villa can come from the left but not on the wing so thats his preferred role. as we know messi is drifting inside from the right more and more so playing in that role favours him, iniesta and xavi and sergio run the midfield and we know abidal and alves can run up and down and give width superbly.

1-Playing with Diamonds requires a powerful fullbacks,ALves is the one to do this job but Abidal?maybe thats why we signed Adriano.
2-I think we will play a lot with the same players but as a 4-3-3 formation.

tk_TommyKim

-------xavi------iniesta-----
---messi------------villa----
-------------ibra------------

This seems to be most reasonable, since we haven't seen Pep stray away from a 4-3-3 with the exception of his 4-4-2 that is rarely played.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us

lol... you made it sound like you discovered plutonium. that formation will not work for various glaring flaws.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
i will add to it. in defence our 4-3-3 is superior because of pressing with the front three but the rest stay in good positions, well simple, messi and simple move to thr right and villa can drop to the left and it is a 4-3-3 again. and as i said already it gets the best out of ibra, messi, villa, xavi, alves, abidal and busquets.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
if only formations were that simple, hamzah. there is no set in stone formation like they show on tv.

most of the formations that are employed are hybrid of two systems which keeps on increasing with the fluidity of any given team. hence discussing best tactics for barcelona is so ridiculously flawed at the moment. watch the game, and see which hybrid didnt work as expected and thats how you get the best formation for barcelona.

we are not bolton, blackburn or sunderland which needs a rigid system to operate with.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
that looks like it was copy pasted from zonal marking. but yeah i know what you are saying but i can't exactly show that on this forum unless i take the time to go into paint and draw all the dots with the arrows and explain it properly

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
so then you better start now, Hamzah.

I'm waiting for the summer x-fer season to end before my post-season 2010 anaylsis and my pre-season 2011 analysis.

JAMAIN

If Cesc does not come and we do not buy another OM/CM, Messi might be the option to be dropped back to a midfield role for some games if Iniesta OR Xavi get injured lone term (likely scenario). Think about this, in games where defensive teams like Madrid and Inter will play in tight-lines, Messi could be the more direct line-breaking option to create the space for the likes of Pedro and Villar up front. I feel Messi showed he can play from deep when lining up for Argentinna. His sense, strength on the ball and track back was as good as any.

eg.

-------Xavi------Messi---

--Villar-----Ibra------Pedro--

Thoughts?

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
Well yeah, if Xavi or Iniesta (or both) got injured, it's very likely we'd see a 4-2-4/4-2-3-1:

Busquets - Keita*

Pedro - Messi - Villa

Ibra​

*or whichever of Xavi/Iniesta isn't injured

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
If Cesc does not come and we do not buy another OM/CM, Messi might be the option to be dropped back to a midfield role for some games if Iniesta OR Xavi get injured lone term (likely scenario). Think about this, in games where defensive teams like Madrid and Inter will play in tight-lines, Messi could be the more direct line-breaking option to create the space for the likes of Pedro and Villar up front. I feel Messi showed he can play from deep when lining up for Argentinna. His sense, strength on the ball and track back was as good as any.

eg.

Thoughts?
Let's say this match is against Levante (who is expected to be kind of weak)
then I'd rather play a 3-4-3:
Puyol Piqué Milito
Xavi Busquets
Messi
Pedro - Ibra - Villa

Bojan_rnr

If Cesc does not come and we do not buy another OM/CM, Messi might be the option to be dropped back to a midfield role for some games if Iniesta OR Xavi get injured lone term (likely scenario).

Messi might be the option, yes.... BUT only second option after Keita. Coz' if Iniesta is injured, Keita will replace him. If Xavi is injured, Iniesta will take his "The Brain " role, and Keita will line up next to him. If Xavi AND Iniesta are injured (long term), then we are screwed. END OF THE WORLD ! THE APOCALIPSE ! But that's not very likely.
Think about this, in games where defensive teams like Madrid and Inter will play in tight-lines, Messi could be the more direct line-breaking option to create the space for the likes of Pedro and Villar up front. I feel Messi showed he can play from deep when lining up for Argentinna. His sense, strength on the ball and track back was as good as any.

Messi have constantly creating that space with his drifting from right wing to the center, and taking the " Trequaterista " free role, behind the main striker, while Alves taking his role on he right wing. Thus taking the attention on him from the central defender and DM's, which causes more space for Ibra,Villa/Pedro, and reducing the pressure from their DM's on Xavi.
Messi in the deep role will be wasted. But if there is no one else, give him a try, and probably have Pedro on the right wing.
eg.

Thoughts?
Villa is right footed so he is far more dangerous on the left wing, coz he can cut inside and shoot toward the goal, rather than putting crosses for Ibra. That's out style, wingers cuts inside while wing back taking their roles and making crosses. Pedro can have the left wing, (yes he is more right footed) but lets be honest Villa > Pedro (for now).
Cheers. :beer2:

Last edited:
V

vittorio

my lineup for when/if (God please no) xavi and iniesta are injured would be:

--sergio-----keita----
--------messi---------
villa----ibra-----pedro

Home of Barca Fans