FC Barcelona Finances

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
COVID is screwing us over big time in that it is adversely impacting our matchday revenue (down by 24% compared to 18/19) and sponsorship and merchandising (down by 9%), but we really have some big structural problems such as high expenses and high debt that are unrelated to the current situation.

So our 19/20 revenue was 855m euros (which includes player sales that many other clubs do not include in their total revenue) and our expenses were 955m which brought us the loss of 100m (97m after taxes). In comparison, Real Madrid's 19/20 revenue was 650m (according to MARCA), however their expenses were a lot lower than ours which enabled them to return a profit of 320K euros.

El Gato

Villarato!
You guys did the same thing. Hiring 250 employees will not cost the club 35m. Plus providing jobs to the local Barcelona community is a positive thing.

Rakuten and Beko might or might nor renew but I expect us to find equivalent sponsors even after Messi is gone.

Don't think I or the article said it'll cost the club 35. The 35 figure is just the difference between 25 and 60 on recorded profit. Don't think the final sentence in that paragraph was suggesting costs would rise to that kind of number as a result.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't think I or the article said it'll cost the club 35. The 35 figure is just the difference between 25 and 60 on recorded profit. Don't think the final sentence in that paragraph was suggesting costs would rise to that kind of number as a result.

Thus I don't really get the point from Marc Menchen (an ardent Barca critic by the way, based in Madrid me thinks?) on the BML part. If he argues that it is dubious to put all 60m on the books as net revenue without substracting the cost of hiring 250 people to manage the stores then I'd agree with him, but in the long run it is absolutely the right thing to do and that's why many clubs have done that.

Morten

So, the club is trying to cut wages further during the pandemic, eh?
Well, they have a guy on mad wages who they insisted on keeping.

Good planning.

Morten

That guy on mad wages also brings more money to the club than anyone else.

I doubt he is bringing in more directly to the club than he is paid(can anyone refute?), so if they wanted to cut wages they should have sold him like Messi wanted.

Also, you dont consider the full picture, if Barca wants to cut wages they'll have to convince Messi to do it as well, doubt the other players are keen to accept a wage cut if one player doesnt accept it.

Last edited:

Nello

Griezmann has the second highest salary and i doubt he brings anywhere near enough to cover it. Plus he's been underwhelming on the pitch week in andn week out for more than a year now. He should've never been bought or atleast sold this summer.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I doubt he is bringing in more directly to the club than he is paid(can anyone refute?), so if they wanted to cut wages they should have sold him like Messi wanted.

Also, you dont consider the full picture, if Barca wants to cut wages they'll have to convince Messi to do it as well, doubt the other players are keen to accept a wage cut if one player doesnt accept it.

Of course Messi brings a lot of eyeballs and attention and consequently more sponsorship deals to the club, even though we can't quantify that, having him around is still better than not having him, from a purely commercial perspective.

But yes, I agree Messi should take a paycut as well (he did when we negotiated with the players to cut 70% of their wages for the last three months of the 19/20 season) for this upcoming season if we are asking everyone to take a paycut.

Morten

Of course Messi brings a lot of eyeballs and attention and consequently more sponsorship deals to the club, even though we can't quantify that, having him around is still better than not having him, from a purely commercial perspective.

But yes, I agree Messi should take a paycut as well (he did when we negotiated with the players to cut 70% of their wages for the last three months of the 19/20 season) for this upcoming season if we are asking everyone to take a paycut.

But here is the problem, last time wasnt a problem, why you think he would accept a wage cut now, considering he was forced to stay?
Good luck with that.

Mitchell1978

With the current board and how they acted towards him then no he should not take a pay cut!

And even with a new board, taking a pay cut means no incoming transfers otherwise there is no justification.

Messi983

Barca basically saved around the same money they would by giving Messi away with offloading Suarez, Raki, Vidal,... wages and none of them brought anything close to the club financial wise and even less on the pitch in recent years.

About furtherly cutting wagess I doubt it will happen whether Messi is here or not.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
But here is the problem, last time wasnt a problem, why you think he would accept a wage cut now, considering he was forced to stay?
Good luck with that.

Until Messi is out of here in July 2021 he is part of the team and he is still the captain and he should lead by example. I think he does care about his image and reputation and will accept a paycut if everyone else does.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
With the current board and how they acted towards him then no he should not take a pay cut!

And even with a new board, taking a pay cut means no incoming transfers otherwise there is no justification.

Of course Messi should take a paycut, he is the highest paid player we have and the captain and he should lead by example.

The board fucked up big time on many things and on many occasions but they did not treat Messi poorly. You can argue that they did not give him "the project" he wants but other than that, they have been pampering him with money, praises and everything they could give to make him happy.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
lol, Barca's board should honor the contracts they signed, just like they forced Messi to do

How did they breach the contract? La Liga sided with the club that the clause had expired when Messi sent the fax.

But I am with you that I think they should have let Messi leave. It would have been good for all parties.

Home of Barca Fans