FC Barcelona Finances

Mitchell1978

70% wage cut even if only for the lockdown period is over the top imo, a 50 % cut would be more reasonable

lets not forget that the club's financial situation (the high wages, overspending on transfers) is entirely the club's fault not the players.
So i see it as emplyees having to partly clean up the mess cause by the employers.

Last edited:

FC B

How would you feel taking 70% paycut? Players might make more but most of them have high expenses as well. Their prime lasts only few years, so missing few months payment is a big deal.

70% is way too much.

70% paycut from hundreds of thousands or millions per month is a completly different story from 70% from hundreds or thousands of euros per month...

Messi983

I thought that in 20% cut maybe they are talking overall as 20% of the estimated time they may not play due to corona since most here were saying 70% is too much.

So we are talking about salary cut for that corona period only so how exactly is it justified that they don't take a pay cut of for example even 40%. You being paid millions for sitting at home and doing shit. Pathetic from our players and that includes Messi. People just don't want to talk about the elephant in the room that's it.

Bullshit excuses like their prime only last so long etc are BS. They get paid millions for doing nothing in this period and forfeiting 70% of their 2-month salary is nothing compared to their overall wealth. No to mention this salary isn't their only component of cash flow. They have multi-million-dollar brand deals and investments in plenty of assets and portfolios so it's not like they earn 0 after retirement. If this was manc I wouldn't have minded not just because that's a money-driven club but here these players were with us since their childhood and they can't even forgo a pay cut. Mes que en club my ass.

70% pay cut for a period of 3 months is around the same than 20% pay cut from their total wages.

I can understand player's standpoint. They know they are not responsible for this situation so why would they need to take a pay cut and help the club? But on the other hand they should also understand how much money the club is losing.

Here are some numbers:

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...255654/barca-club-mejor-paga-futbolistas.html

1. FCB museum generates around 60m incomes yearly so in average 5m every month, so we'll lose app. 15-20m.

2. tickets: we get 6m for every game played at Camp Nou. So far two home games were suspended (Leganes and Napoli) so that's 12m already. We still have 4 further league games scheduled and maybe one or two in the CL we don't know if/when they'll be played. But if they won't be played before June 30 the club will lose between 36-48m.

And for points 1. and 2. there will also be big longterm consequences because less people will travel to BCN (and overall around the world) for a few months after this crisis will be over and it will be safe to travel again because
1. people will still be affraid and
2. economical impact of this crisis will be huge so people won't have as much money to travel so this would mean less tickets sold and less people visiting FCB museum.

3. TV rights: article says Barça would lose 28% of incomes if the games won't be played so another 40-45m loss for the club.

4. there are also smaller regional sponsors (MD mentioned 17 of them) who also won't pay the club if we won't play the games because they won't be visible (whether on our shirts or around at Camp Nou). Don't know how much money would be lost here but could be another 10m. There will also be a longterm impact because those companies will also suffer because of the coronavirus crisis so the club will lose some of their sponsorship money and will probably need to look for more/other sponsors in next few years.

5. There could be also possible money lost from the CL qualification to the next round (10,5m for quarterfinals - this is the money I think club includes in their budget every season - and then possibly 12m for semi-finals) that MD article doen't mention.

So if the season won't continue before July Barça could lose more than 100m of their planed revenues this season.

That's why the club needs to lower their costs. If they don't want to finish this season with a loss in their books (and they don't) then they probably need to "save" 25-30m every month from now till June. And all sporting personell taking at least 50-60% pay cut for this period is what they'll probably do whether the players agree or not.

BTW, Espanyol has already lowered wages of their first team, B team, Juvenil A&B and women's first team for 70%.

wisconsincule

We have to remember that FCB pays the most in salaries over any team in Europe as well. A 20% cut overall would bring them in line with other players salaries who are taking no cut.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Why should the players take a pay cut and help the club? It is the most sensible thing and the right thing to do. Even from a selfish perspective, if the club takes on huge losses (and we probably will), we will not have the money to pay their gigantic wages and we will not have money for transfers and others things that will make us competitive and in the end the players suffer too.

The football first team should take the pay cut before all the other squads do, certainly before other employees such as the groundsmen, the kitmen, the medical personnel, staff at all the Barca stores and other regular folks working for the club take the pay cut.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.palco23.com/clubes/el-b...s-y-aplica-un-erte-para-todo-el-personal.html

FC Barcelona will be the first LaLiga club to present a temporary employment regulation file (Erte). After several days of negotiations, the board of directors has decided to present various files that will affect the nearly 1,500 workers it has . In this way, the adjustment will be based on each group: football, professional sections and office staff.

Barça still has to agree on the salary reduction that will be applied to professional athletes, with whom there is no agreement.

serghei

We reap what we sow.

The most overpaid and lazy players in the world don't want to take too much pay cut to help the club. Color me surprised.

Alik

I think that the decision of the players has to be unanimous, either everyone lowers the salaries or no one does. I'm sure at least someone in the squad is willing to meet the terms, but the majority are not.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think that the decision of the players has to be unanimous, either everyone lowers the salaries or no one does. I'm sure at least someone in the squad is willing to meet the terms, but the majority are not.

I wouldn't mind the bottom dwellers on the salary list keeping what they earn if it's like 1-3m/year.

But the rest of them can fuck off.

Alik

I wouldn't mind the bottom dwellers on the salary list keeping what they earn if it's like 1-3m/year.

But the rest of them can fuck off.

Yeah, I don't mind either. I just think that's the way player decisions are made, as a group, behind the scenes.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
As a player I would not accept the pay cut if I did not know what the board would do with the money. Proper contract with a guarantee that the saved money is used to pay employees of the club and 9to5 workers connected to the facilities, traveling etc. Can't trust those crooks.
But I guess that is not even a question. The board probably told the players they want to cut their salaries and the players disagreed without a second thought.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As a player I would not accept the pay cut if I did not know what the board would do with the money. Proper contract with a guarantee that the saved money is used to pay employees of the club and 9to5 workers connected to the facilities, traveling etc. Can't trust those crooks.
But I guess that is not even a question. The board probably told the players they want to cut their salaries and the players disagreed without a second thought.

It's not like we have the money but choose to cut the players' salaries and keep the money saved for something else, it is more of a case that we don't have the money to pay their full salary, or if we do, at the expense of all the other expenses (such as transfers).

Home of Barca Fans