FC Barcelona Finances

Leo_Messi

Deloitte Money League Report for 2019 just came out, we ranked 2nd in terms of revenue at €690.4m last year, behind Real Madrid which was at €750.9m. The gap between our two clubs has widened from about 25m in 2017 to 60m in 2018. Full report can be downloaded here.

Blurb on us:

I am calling it now. We will top this list next season provided that we reach the CL-semifinals.:bartomeu: Bookmark this post.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am calling it now. We will top this list next season provided that we reach the CL-semifinals.:bartomeu: Bookmark this post.

Our performance in the Champions League this season will definitely be the key in driving our revenue up further, agreed.

But I am not sure if we will top Real Madrid, their new main sponsorship and kit deals are both said to be slightly better than ours.

Devils

Any idea how much is the prize money for winning the CL these days? I'd guess it would be counted as part of "match day" portion of revenues.

I couldn't find an official source but this article:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6206580...t-prize-money-in-the-2017-18-champions-league

Reaching the Round of 16 was worth €6m, reaching the quarter finals was worth a further €6.5m, then anyone in the semi-finals got another €7.5m. Winning the whole thing brought an additional windfall of €15m for Real Madrid, while Liverpool got an €11m bonus as finalists.

Given that they lifted the trophy, Real Madrid unsurprisingly took home the most in Champions League prize money for last season at €88.7m. Liverpool (€81.3m) did not receive the second biggest prize money pot, that honour instead went to beaten semi-finalists Roma (€83.8m).

Barcelona have missed a pretty big payday being unable to get passed the QFs for the past 3 years.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This picture (showing increase in revenue from 2017 to 2018) is pretty telling:

skynews-deloitte-football-rich-list_4555326.jpg

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
According to Soccerex's 2019 Edition Football Finance 100 report, we are at 7th place with a massive net debt of €435M (an increase of €120M from 2018 debt level which was at €315M), tangible assets of €146M (went up only by €3M from 2018) and cash in the bank of €93M. I understand we have big debt but I don't get it why our the figure of tangible assets is so low.

In comparison those three figures for Real Madrid, Bayern, City, PSG, United for example are at:

NET DEBT ASSETS CASH
@Real_fuck_Madrid: €294M €333M €178M
@Bayern: -€85M (negative, essentially ZERO debt) €252M €151.9M
@City: €80M €471M €21M
@PSG: €37M €99M €88.1M
@Man_United: €751M €279M €331M

x6j42x.jpg

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Our sponsorship with Audi is coming to an end with them not renewing. Don't know how much they pay us each year but what a bummer.

Joan

According to Soccerex's 2019 Edition Football Finance 100 report, we are at 7th place with a massive net debt of €435M (an increase of €120M from 2018 debt level which was at €315M), tangible assets of €146M (went up only by €3M from 2018) and cash in the bank of €93M. I understand we have big debt but I don't get it why our the figure of tangible assets is so low.

In comparison those three figures for Real Madrid, Bayern, City, PSG, United for example are at:

NET DEBT ASSETS CASH
@Real_fuck_Madrid: €294M €333M €178M
@Bayern: -€85M (negative, essentially ZERO debt) €252M €151.9M
@City: €80M €471M €21M
@PSG: €37M €99M €88.1M
@Man_United: €751M €279M €331M
an increase of €120M from 2018 debt level which was at €315M

How did this happen?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
an increase of €120M from 2018 debt level which was at €315M

How did this happen?

No idea. Perhaps we did tap into future funding to buy players or something. Or we started some preliminary work on the Espai Project?

It is really worrying that our debt is this high without having even officially started embarking on the Espai Project. We will need at least 200m out of our own coffers for it.

Joan

No idea. Perhaps we did tap into future funding to buy players or something. Or we started some preliminary work on the Espai Project?

It is really worrying that our debt is this high without having even officially started embarking on the Espai Project. We will need at least 200m out of our own coffers for it.

Thought it could have something to do with it, too. Pure speculations, though. Doubt it has much to do with buying players, we seemingly did well in the market in the last year or so. (Could it have anything to do with Coutinho?)

El Gato

Villarato!

First of all, just to get this out of the way, the formatting of this report is fucking horrible. Terrible terrible layout and contrast.

As for the content - is net debt a calculated balance of the other factors in this equation? I'm no economist, but this is the first report in a while where I've seen net debt mentioned and it being in positive figures. Most official statements I've seen Madrid publish in the last 2 years show negative debt numbers - https://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/...counting-player-transfers-up-113-on-last-year

Another takeaway from this is the "Owner Potential Investment" being at 0. This is what I suspect is the actual issue with either the true situation or the way it's reported here. Perez and Barto surely provide some form of cash injection.

El Gato

Villarato!
Also incidentally, Barca's annual statement from 16/17 mentions negative debt of -€8M as a decrease from €22M the year prior (page 282), although tangible asset numbers do look pretty accurate compared to that Soccerex report (around €160M, page 226) - https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazo...7-8afa-9ce2a0129045/Annual-Report-2016-17.pdf

Not sure who to trust here, since Barca are notoriously not transparent as to how they present their finances, but given I've never heard of Soccerex I'm not sure if I understand their take here.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Also incidentally, Barca's annual statement from 16/17 mentions negative debt of -€8M as a decrease from €22M the year prior (page 282), although tangible asset numbers do look pretty accurate compared to that Soccerex report (around €160M, page 226) - https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazo...7-8afa-9ce2a0129045/Annual-Report-2016-17.pdf

Not sure who to trust here, since Barca are notoriously not transparent as to how they present their finances, but given I've never heard of Soccerex I'm not sure if I understand their take here.

I don't know, perhaps Soccerex really meant debt when they said net debt? If you think about it, you guys have a lot of cash on hand so perhaps you do have more cash than your debt hence a negative net debt for you guys? I don't think Soccerex pulled their numbers out of nowhere.

The same page you referred to on our 16/17 annual report that shows our intangible assets (page 226) also shows our liabilities which include our different kinds of debt (long term, short term etc.) which already looked alarming and in line with the numbers that Soccerex is reporting. I am no economist either and I know we (Barca) don't usually have much cash on hand so to me the difference between debt and net debt is not that much.

By the way does Real Madrid publish annual report like ours?

Home of Barca Fans