FC Barcelona B

Porque

Bernal will be DMC.

Esport3.cat has the game. Which is free but you need to be in Spain or using a VPN.

Barca nation on YT usually have the games too.

Messi983

2-1 win vs Sociedad B. Didn't bother watching as we were pretty bad lately but good to see we finally won.

Faye got sent off in 2nd half so both teams finished with 10 players.

khaled_a_d

Had some time to burn and decided to watch last 2 games of Barca B, some notes from them:

-Was impressed by Noah Darvish in the last game, improved significantly as a Barca midfielder especially regarding positioning. He is also the strongest physically among all midfielders. This is his first start since mid September and I don't know if it was just a game where he he was on his day but the signs are good.
Easy to forget he is the 3rd youngest player in the team (after Bernal and Cubarsi) and is adapting to new country and language. Only player who is having to deal with such transition is Faye who is 2 year older and build like a tank.
There is a good player there, and while I don't see him becoming Barca player in long run, he could get us some nice profit soon.

-Marc Bernal didn't do well in either game, and it was same player he was early in the season with barely any improvement at all. He is a tall kid who can make good passes and move well, but he isn't assertive at all. Isn't that good defensively and barely shows to defense when we have the ball, was easy target when teams pressed us. Team have to avoid build up throuh him most of the time and move the ball to fullbacks and then to wingers then CM. He doesn't feel comfortable at all playing while facing our won GK.
That is all fine at the age of 16, hell even if he is same player next season it is still fine as he is very young.
But he is project that will take time and he is far from sure thing.
This brings me to an old discussion I had with @Porque when we were linked with Moscardo. The club simply can't take Bernal into account when planning first team squad. If a young CDM is available, you don't pass on him for Bernal.

-Sergi Domínguez is a fighter, but he is really limited player.

-Unai and Garrido are nice players to watch, but won't make it at the big stage.

Our GK are really mediocre at that level, which makes me thinl tbh, why do we barely invest in this position? Barca B GK is always a La Masia kid or some bum from a local team that we get.
Only signing from outside Spain I remember was Lazar Caravez, and sure he failed but it isn't like we didn't have dozens of CB who failed and we still go for talents out there.

-Our attack looks nice and dynamic, no significant talents there but they do the job well.

Porque

@khaled_a_d

Good post. I didn't watch the past game because of the time, but I did notice that Bernal has not been as good post WC and pre. He is so young as you say, but will have to assert himself in the position more to not be another Nico Gonzalez. A player who was excellent in the B as a fairweather player, but when the game had difficulties struggled alot.

Nice to read Darvich was good. We have an expectation for instant success these days while adaptions take time. Hopefully it is the first of more starts and he gets to develop with some consistency now.

I think we signed some higher prospect young goalkeepers (there is Yaakobishvili and Kochen for example) but as you say we never really spent a few million for a hot goalkeeping prospect which is kind of odd.

I mean, obviously we are not in the position to spend 20m or so on Verbruggen and then play him for just 9 games like Brighton so far, but given the levels of Astralaga, Pena and Tenas it is a shame we never thought of getting a higher propsect that is closer to first team dynamics so we don't repeat a situation as is now.

Or even better, just have a veteran that still has some juice in his hands.

khaled_a_d

@khaled_a_d

I think we signed some higher prospect young goalkeepers (there is Yaakobishvili and Kochen for example) but as you say we never really spent a few million for a hot goalkeeping prospect which is kind of odd.

Both were already in Spain and had trial with the club then signed. Different thing tbh.

And it isn't even about back up GK, but finding gems who can get us money or replace our own GK if things went so well. Like Cortois did with Cech for example.
Stegen is almost 32, so let's say if we lucked with a 17 years old talented GK.
He could be ready to be starter in what? 3 or 4 years? That won't be bad, right?
And in reality, don't expect us to nail the 1st one we get.
Maybe one of those aforementioned GK will prove he is the one, but GK is the one position I will never trust the La Masia hype.

Messi983

I would prefer to do what Chelsea did with Courtois back in the days. Sign a 19-20 yo highly rated GK and let him go on loan for 2-3 years to play regularly before bringing him back to replace MATS. In the meantime sign a proven veteran La Liga GK who is happy to accept the bench but would perform when needed. Can't go through another season with Inaki as #2 imo.

Don't think we can really develop a GK through La Masia. Yes, we did it with Valdes but he's the only one. And don't believe some wonderkid GK would come here to play in BA either when you can't promise him first team football like you can do with outfield players. And you can't develop and earn experience if you only play few CDR games against higher level opponents than current Primera RFEF (and potentially Segunda Division in future).

Well, unless we hire De Zerbi who would randomly rotate his GKs also in league games which doesn't come without a risk ofc. Would clearly upset MATS and probably also rest of the team and defensive stability (not that we have one currently). GK is one position where roles should be determined and clear to everyone. Can maybe go through one season with GKs "competing/sharing minutes" like we did with MATS and Bravo but then you have to make your decisions.

Andresito

Staff member
Feels like an unusually long contract extension for a player that never plays, even at levels below the first team. What's going on?
OFFICIAL: Diego Kochen's contract has been renewed until 2028. @FCBarcelonaB

Porque

He is highly rated by the club. But could perhaps be put to the B already if he is that highly rated, as the guy we have there is on loan from Andorra and more of a decent possession goalkeeper but nothing more.

Messi983

1-1 draw against Logrones. Two points lost as we were a better team. Pau Victor finally scored again but then Jordi Escobar with a late equalizer. He had one goal for BA in 21/22 and now has scored in both games against us this season. :angry:

On a positive note, Darvich came on at HT and was the best player on the pitch. Should def get more minutes now.

khaled_a_d

1-1 draw against Logrones. Two points lost as we were a better team. Pau Victor finally scored again but then Jordi Escobar with a late equalizer. He had one goal for BA in 21/22 and now has scored in both games against us this season. :angry:

On a positive note, Darvich came on at HT and was the best player on the pitch. Should def get more minutes now.

Heard that Edu Sanchez is back? If so it is good news.
BTW, os it me or Barca B had a lot of injuries this season?

JamDav1982

Darvich could be amazing if kicks on.

Has the height, mobility, gets stuck in, takes it on half turn and good awareness.

If all comes together he has the lot to be a top player.

Looks like one of those players that could comfortably play a variety of positions also.

Playing with a bit of a swagger now where he thinks he is best player on the park as opposed to in the past looked a bit nervous and making sure did all correctly and a bit safe.

JamDav1982

Dont agree at all on what is being said about Bernal here and think he will be next one up given chances.

Not nearly as far away as made out.

Messi983

Very important game vs Cultural Leonesa starts in 5 minutes. 5th vs 6th on the table.

Fort and Guiu are starting.

GHMeEB5WAAAeeOP

Messi983

Pedri, Gavi and Roberto in the stands.

also, Fabio Blanco plays for Cultural (on loan from Villarreal).

Red for Cultu, need to win this game now!

Mikaaaaaa

Home of Barca Fans