European Super League

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
But noone is condemning getting money from minority shareholders. This isnt about "money bad", as much as it is about selling your entire base of operation to a single person/company who then rules unopposed and undemocratic over it for lifetime, with no democratic process in palce that could reverse that decision. It really is a monarchy when you think about it.
And especially if your owner is basically a billionaire capitalist entirely detached from fan and football culture, then your club will essentially end up being a business object and your King does whatever he wants. Is Bayern the perfect example of morality? No, and I've been critizing this constantly myself even in discussions with you. There's some minor ties to Qatar, Adidas and Audi arent much better and Rummenigge/Hoeness occasionally act like spoiled dickheads.

And still: I'd rate them at a far lesser level of "evil" than anyone in the current super league, or the likes of PSG and whatnot and they have repeatedly pushed for progressive reforms that I actually support (salary/transfer/agent caps) when everyone opposed them, while opposing the Superleague when everyone joined it. So yeah, they arent saints and theres tons of improvements that can be made, but at the same time I'd feel more comfortable with such clubs leading progress than Florentino Perez, Joel Glazier and some Emir.

I agree with pretty much everything, the only thing is I don't know how genuine the opposition from Bayern and PSG is right now. If they stick to their current position and won't change it even if it turns out there won't be as much damaging consequences as feared for joining the ESL, then I will have a whole lot more respect for them.

Joan

Think folks are overreacting. Uefa's crying because they're out of the picture and lose their share of the cake. Not thrilled about it either nor I like these kinds of fixed, written in stone competitions...

If they don't kick them out of national competitions, they can't stop it.

Btw., Uefa's tears all over the place about the poor so called smaller clubs while not a while ago they came up with their own super league lite. :lol: can't be happier they lose their share of undeserved money.

Last edited:

Mistyoptic

Since we still have to vote - what are the chances that we don't actually join this league? I mean it is up to the socios at the end of the day. Most likely Laporta will just swing it as saving us from extinction, but there is still a chance...no?

Morten

Think folks are overreacting. Uefa's crying because they're out of the picture and lose their share of the cake. Not thrilled about it either nor I like these kinds of fixed, written in stone competitions...

If they don't kick them out of national competitions, they can't stop it.

Btw., Uefa's tears all over the place about the poor so called smaller clubs while not a while ago they came up with their own super league light. :lol: can't be happier they lose their share of undeserved money.

Of course, UEFA is only in this to protect their own interests, they are just mad they are being left out.

However, just because it cuts UEFA out doesnt make it a move in the right direction.

Horatio

You're welcome
Reading Luftanschlags book recommendation and it shows the truth of how football getting into hands of oligarchs. This is just one more step into that direction.

BLEAK

Yannik

I agree with pretty much everything, the only thing is I don't know how genuine the opposition from Bayern and PSG is right now. If they stick to their current position and won't change it even if it turns out there won't be as much damaging consequences as feared for joining the ESL, then I will have a whole lot more respect for them.

The current situation is that

a) both Bayern and Dortmund came out publicly to denounce the Super League and promise not to join them. Noone asked them to do that.

b) unlike other top 5 leagues the DFL follows a hardcoded licensing model. Clubs need to reapply for a league license before every season starts and fulfill every criteria to start in the 1st or 2nd division. The criteria also requires that you cant be part of a foreign tournament. The license statute cant be changed unless the DFL which consists of the 36 clubs of the first and second division democratically approve it.

c) a breakaway into the ESL would require membership votes. It's too big to be decided by the chairman alone. Also regarding application for membership via internet. Yes you can do that, but the main perks of a Bayern membership are prioritized ticketing as its almost impossible to get a Bayern ticket with 250k applicants for a 75k stadium and members get first buy options (and even then there are more members than season tickets available). Not something a dude from the US or India would typically be interested in, at least not enough to really have a big outcome on such votes.
The owners of memberships are almost entirely match goers and ultras. Since you know a thing or two about German football culture, you can probably imagine what these people are like. Also actually voting FOR the breakaway into the ESL also means 50+1 wouldnt apply to Bayern anymore. So members would essentially vote out their own grip on the club which would be quite paradox.

This is why I dont believe in it. And why I fancy the chances of seeing KingLeo10 with a Bayern badge by 2024. ;)

Last edited:

Porque

So the Euro Super League is going to be life imitating jokes imitating life. Florentino Perez truly will be sitting in the VAR room.

(If indeed the ESL uses VAR, or atleast this current adoption of it)

Morten

What does UEFA have authority to do, btw?

I wasn't aware they could ban players from international football, but they can?

Windhook

German clubs will keep away from ESL, unless UEFA falls apart somehow.

I wasn't aware they could ban players from international football, but they can?

International football is sanctioned by FIFA, who made a statement against the ESL. Under the pressure from their confederation UEFA they can impose a ban on players.

Last edited:

serghei

The Superleague is a joke. When the project will fail, UEFA should come up with a football version of The Hunger Games as a punishment for the greedy clubs.

Porque

What does UEFA have authority to do, btw?

Yes they can. Indonesia had two football leagues back in the early 2010's- the break away league and the old official league. Fifa again threatened to ban players in the breakaway league initially. Some teams had two clubs with one in each league.

In the end, the breakaway unofficial league become the official league. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans