Ernesto Valverde - V1

fergus90

He got everything right with the exception of starting Roberto ahead of semedo.

If barca played as people wanted them to, with possession and high line, it would have suited klopp who wanted to play on the counter. Liverpool is at their worst when forced to break a team down and valverde wisely went for the defensive approach, with Vidal/busi/rakitic in midfield to match their intensity. Rather than conceding golden chances as Liverpool get behind a high line, barca only gave up half chances in their deep block, with the only proper chance to salah after 3-0.

The criticism I had of ev before the game was not playing semedo as he is faster and better defensively than Roberto. I proved to be right as the danger from Liverpool came down his side and when valverde realised his mistake and switched to 4-4-2 with semedo rb and Roberto rm, the game stabilised.

Agree with this. Semedo is bound to start Tuesday.

George_Costanza

Chat room being used as an argument. Oh dear.

Everyone and their mother would love to have what you have.

"BUT BUT WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS".

*sigh*

Well, that's the difference between being a cule and being a fan of a club like yours. We do have an idiosyncrasy that makes us different than most clubs, especially Madrid. We are so unique and have a special identity that stands distant from the rest of the European crowd, and I would like to think we can still be unique in the future.

Thanks but I don't need a Madridista to tell me what's best for my club.

malvolio

Is the team for you = Valverde?!

So if someone criticizes Messi or Dembele or Suarez, it's ok with you? But criticizing the manager is blasphemy because he is sacred for you? Ok!

first off, you are the one that insinuated our team is weak and winning this year's CL is comparable to other lucky winners in the past. that's why i was referring to the team.

second, i'm not a fan of valverde but i have to admit he turned it around a couple of times and he seems to learn from past experiences. would i like us to play more beautiful football a la current ajax? yeah i would, who wouldn't?! would i like us to win nothing while employing attacking football all the time? no i wouldn't. CL is a competition where anything can happen and being naive has pulled us down in past seasons.

third, you are overreacting with your analysis of last night's game. i too was nervous before and during the match. better to have a second viewing today and i think you'll see things differently or at least make a fair judgement of the match.

LE: and one more thing about 'chances' or 'dangerous plays' that are created against us. we had the same discussion after the lyon game, after the man utd game, after the bayern game in 2015, after the arsenal game(with the van persie red card). it is always the same - 'but but but they nearly scored, but but but they could have scored and it would have been tie over, but but but they were in the game until messi scored' etc etc etc

Last edited:

Havesaks

Well, that's the difference between being a cule and being a fan of a club like yours. We do have an idiosyncrasy that makes us different than most clubs, especially Madrid. We are so unique and have a special identity that stands distant from the rest of the European crowd, and I would like to think we can still be unique in the future.

No, for that you have 80-90 percent of the barca-fans for. EV > guy from The internet

El Gato

Villarato!

Here, have a slice of this, very much recommended:

tenor.gif

Mido

If barca played as people wanted them to, with possession and high line, it would have suited klopp who wanted to play on the counter. Liverpool is at their worst when forced to break a team down and valverde wisely went for the defensive approach, with Vidal/busi/rakitic in midfield to match their intensity. Rather than conceding golden chances as Liverpool get behind a high line, barca only gave up half chances in their deep block, with the only proper chance to salah after 3-0.

The criticism I had of ev before the game was not playing semedo as he is faster and better defensively than Roberto. I proved to be right as the danger from Liverpool came down his side and when valverde realised his mistake and switched to 4-4-2 with semedo rb and Roberto rm, the game stabilised.

I wouldn't be so sure about it. To me Roberto clearly seemed to be the right choice and he brought Semedo for a change of tactics which seemed to be very well timed.

Semedo seems to be a humble hard working player and he clearly can compete for this starting place. But I would give Roberto a slight edge.

KingLeo10

[MENTION=23078]Zidane82[/MENTION], did you survive?

kinda telling he isn't out here celebrating with the rest of us. guess he was a liverpool fan at heart all along, which was easy to tell considering he thought liverpool's midfield was some world class juggernaut. :valverde2:

ole valverdiola will 4-4-2 them at anfield. goodnight sweet prince.

Centauri B

This dude knows what he is talking about.

We must be even more defensive at Anfield and then bury their hopes on the counter. Liverpool get easily frustrated at defensive teams that can also hurt them on the counter.

Home of Barca Fans