Ernesto Valverde - V1

FCBfan22

Some of you folks only care about the La Liga and Copa trophies we get at the end of the season or the stats for your favorites players without necessarily caring about tomorrow.

Fair enough.

But I think the majority here also want the team to play good football and actually dominate the opponent for 90 minutes which teams of this stature should be able to do. I think most here also want Barca to show they're able to take their game against the elite in the CL and play a complete game of football where the result doesn't simply rely on the individual brilliance of a couple of our players and a lot of luck + help from the post or Mr. Own Goal.

Under Valverde that's rarely been the case.

Lucho's last season was bad, but we did play entertaining football dominating the opposition in the two first seasons under him. He also held certain players accountable and benched them when they didn't play well enough, like Pique, Rakitic and Alba. He obviously had his flaws too. Not great tactically, had an obsession with certain players which also resulted in some poor signings. But we played well and looked like a team that could take on anyone.

Under Valverde I just don't see it. And I'm not seeing it despite spending a lot of money. I also don't see any talent development under him which could make up for some of the other issues.

So stop calling people for entitled all the fucking time. If you can't see why some people have their reservations with Valverde then you you're better off staying shut or simply asking why they're so vocal with their criticism.

Not only that, but he is also currently doing the same mistakes as Lucho did in his last season (shattered midfield trio), while playing shit football.

Stoichkov1

Some of you folks only care about the La Liga and Copa trophies we get at the end of the season or the stats for your favorites players without necessarily caring about tomorrow.

Fair enough.

But I think the majority here also want the team to play good football and actually dominate the opponent for 90 minutes which teams of this stature should be able to do. I think most here also want Barca to show they're able to take their game against the elite in the CL and play a complete game of football where the result doesn't simply rely on the individual brilliance of a couple of our players and a lot of luck + help from the post or Mr. Own Goal.

Under Valverde that's rarely been the case.

Lucho's last season was bad, but we did play entertaining football dominating the opposition in the two first seasons under him. He also held certain players accountable and benched them when they didn't play well enough, like Pique, Rakitic and Alba. He obviously had his flaws too. Not great tactically, had an obsession with certain players which also resulted in some poor signings. But we played well and looked like a team that could take on anyone.

Under Valverde I just don't see it. And I'm not seeing it despite spending a lot of money. I also don't see any talent development under him which could make up for some of the other issues.

So stop calling people for entitled all the fucking time. If you can't see why some people have their reservations with Valverde then you you're better off staying shut or simply asking why they're so vocal with their criticism.

The big difference is that Lucho had Neymar and Suarez who was the best striker in the world at the time.

The truth is that under Lucho we relied on MSN brilliance all the time, now Neymar is gone and Suarez is almost finished. This is the main reason we play shit fooball and especially in Lucho's last season when we played away matches our midfield got completely overrun.

The main difference between Lucho and Valverde is that at least against mid table teams in the league we don't concede when we lose control and we're able to face counters from the opponents.

Gaudi

We didn't look good since Peps last year. We had decent runs but we didn't look good. We only looked good when LE or some miracle in the team adjusted our style for second part of the 2014/15 season because we played faster, more direct football and our trio just clicked. And of course when you have Suarez, Messi and Ney in top form everything is possible.
I blame Valverde for being a coward but everything else is similar to years before. People here seem to think only if we tweak a little we'll be unplayable again, or remember only good games in the past, but I urge everyone to look how our opponents played then!

Everything evolves, everything changes except our believe we will pass the ball in to the net. Look Pep's first year, I remember game against Valencia, Camp Nou, they were chasing shadows for 90 minutes. But, there is a but! That was one of a kind generation and opponents UPDATED tactics later on. Everything changes, empires and civilizations have disappeared of course a simple football game changes.
My point is whoever is a coach we can't continue with current style and expect to win CL. I watched that show All or nothing with City, last year they followed them...and after L'pool lose Pep asks (almost rhetorically) maybe my style is to blame! Even he, at least, starts to question it. Though, I see some changes, Man City is now using many crosses and attacking the box with a lot of players, we have no one in the box.
This type of styles are well suited for leagues, because we will be able to constantly find that one goal and even if we fail, we have 38 games to try. Enough for La Liga but in CL we will always face one bad night against, even mediocre team, and we are out...and exactly teams like L'pool or RM or AM will have bigger chance in competition like CL.

when we have 75% of the ball EVERYONE will be behind the ball because now they expect that, no one will chase us anymore. And when everyone is behind the ball MATHEMATICALLY there is no space. Or you can all believe that Rakitic knows how to play through balls for national team but somehow forgets in Barca.
Picture speaks more then 1000 word they say...so:
Draw1.jpg

Find the space!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Think teams pressed us many times last season both in La Liga and CL so your argument doesn't stand.

I agree about evolving though. If it's not about Messi or another player providing a moment of brilliance there is little to be excited about. Not the system, selections, subs nor building something.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Don't think that's what he was getting at.

It was a sarcastic remark on how everyone is criticizing Valverde, most of it is justified. I don't know what this has got to do with pre Ronaldinho time. Barca has higher standards now.

What infuriates me is how Valverde tries to play a system which clearly failed under Lucho, we can't keep learning the same lessons over and over.

Last edited:

soul24rage

What infuriates me is how Valverde tries to play a system which clearly failed under Lucho, we can't keep learning the same lessons over and over.

I think the reasoning for playing the system that failed under Lucho is that we need a plan B when EV's plan A of 422/4231 is not working. Vs Roma our 442 was not working at all and EV didn't change anything or maybe he didn't have a plan B. I think he's try out different formations for the players to switch seamlessly to tackle different problems without the need of making a sub.

El Gato

Villarato!
It was a sarcastic remark on how everyone is criticizing Valverde, most of it is justified. I don't know what this has got to do with pre Ronaldinho time. Barca has higher standards now.

Higher standards... Given you have a bunch of post-Pep orphans who don't know any other way to successfully dominate European teams and achieve massive success in the CL (bar the one season where top-heavy approach worked out for you)... I don't think you ought to complain a whole lot. Pique-Busi need to be moved on. In the league you're pretty much fine and always contending with whatever squad you have. Just gotta get deattached from players who are getting too old to be versatile.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Higher standards... Given you have a bunch of post-Pep orphans who don't know any other way to successfully dominate European teams and achieve massive success in the CL (bar the one season where top-heavy approach worked out for you)... I don't think you ought to complain a whole lot. Pique-Busi need to be moved on. In the league you're pretty much fine and always contending with whatever squad you have. Just gotta get deattached from players who are getting too old to be versatile.

With the amount of money invested, Barca should be playing better football. The leagues are still coming because Real were not a formidable opponent in the league. Last season they starter poorly, previous year they have won. It is easy to say yeah Barca had won the double last year, what is there to complain. But the Roma defeat was disgraceful and i don't see any change from how Valverde is approaching games this season. Conservative and not utilizing the variety of options in attack and midfield. Yes it is very early to say that, but so far this is the worst football in 15 years. If that is Barca potential then it is the board fault for wasting money on average players and not rebuild from post pep era.

MagIX

I agree, but if the board stubbornly insists to have barca DNA coaches, these are the results....
We made the transfer market on this philosophy
Change tactics ? yes, but we have toooo similar players, there are not important changes that can be done, ... or there are people still so naive to believe that simply playing with (or similar) Malcom, Messi, Dembele if front is the solution of our problem ?

Last edited:

FCBfan22

I agree, but if the board stubbornly insists to have barca DNA coaches, these are the results....
We made the transfer market on this philosophy
Change tactics ? yes, but we have toooo similar players, there are not many changes to be made... or there are people still so naive to believe that simply playing with (or similar)
Malcom, Messi, Dembele if front is the solution of our problem ?

We don't know if it's a solution, unless we try it. But we won't.

El Gato

Villarato!
With the amount of money invested, Barca should be playing better football. The leagues are still coming because Real were not a formidable opponent in the league. Last season they starter poorly, previous year they have won. It is easy to say yeah Barca had won the double last year, what is there to complain. But the Roma defeat was disgraceful and i don't see any change from how Valverde is approaching games this season. Conservative and not utilizing the variety of options in attack and midfield. Yes it is very early to say that, but so far this is the worst football in 15 years. If that is Barca potential then it is the board fault for wasting money on average players and not rebuild from post pep era.

Gotta cut out the semi-emotional arguments that "we're better than that", "Roma was disgraceful". None of it is to do with tactics. You could have easily spunked Roma if not for a single occurrence of bad game management and a few select bad apples.

Ever considered managers aren't gods? You can't coach flexibility into players.

Zidane82

People comparing to 99-03?! Like seriously? Barca is a powerhouse now. That is such a stupid comparison, we should be playing better than this. I can honestly say this is the worst football barca is playing in 10-15 years.

Agreed

I'd love Zidane to take over . At least the football would improve

Icarium

Lifestealer
Gotta cut out the semi-emotional arguments that "we're better than that", "Roma was disgraceful". None of it is to do with tactics. You could have easily spunked Roma if not for a single occurrence of bad game management and a few select bad apples.

Ever considered managers aren't gods? You can't coach flexibility into players.

It is not entirely the coaches fault. But his lack of courage and his approach to games is what the main reason behind it. And it has nothing to do with emotion. I did not say Roma were disgraceful. That the way we lost it was. Lot of people to blame for that match but biggest of all in Valverde. By going with a conservative approach and not making tactical changes when things were looking good even players shared the feeling. And worst of all his subs. Single occurance or not, there is no way Barca should have lost that match by 3-0 with the talent they had on the pitch. I can understand if we were struggling to score and they got a lucky fluke goal in the end. Barca lost by 3-0 having a 3 goal advantage.

henias

It's not really rocket science, Valverde isn't suited for our set of players and style and I just dont see the point in trying to argue or defend him at this point.

He's very unlikely to create history or great achievements here even if you were to give him another season. His team understanding and tactics has always been poor especially if we were to be the more offensive side. Neither do we have much defensive type players to suit his style. He doesn't really care about building a team here, just get the best result so that it won't tarnish his CV.

It's just pretty much things between him and the club going against each other. He never should have been here; the board was just naive and never seen the Roma game as a serious problem. Just because he won the double, doesnt mean it's not a problem.

People who want Pique or Busi being a minor role this season, have to take into consideration the person-in-charge. EV will still use them heavily because it's the safest options, and people are less likely to criticise him because he is using their legend status as a cover up, so if anything goes wrong, players will be blamed.

I thought everyone would have seen it by now. It's all about him, he's thinking about himself and him only. He just not meant to be here, and he would do much better at a club like Bilbao.

Home of Barca Fans