Ernesto Valverde - V1

xXKonan

In his first interview he talks about how Messi is the greatest, but he needs a good team so he doesn't have to do everything himself.

Then he talks about how Barca's philosophy and how he wants to replicate it again.

Those words he talked about gets you optimistic about going back to how things once were. in order to do this he needs to have the players in order to do it, so this was a good chance to get him the type of players he needs in order for his vision to work.

Fast forward to September, yeah about that....

We lose Neymar and replace him with Dembele- he's a kid with a lot of potential so we have to be patient with him.

We finally get a RB in Semedo-He looks good so far we just need him to keep getting minutes to build his confidence and understanding with the team.

We bring back Deulofeu-He could make a decent rotational player like Pedro.

Where it goes wrong however.

We had a disastrous Super cup vs Real, however going by the first two league games in the season you get an idea on how he wants us to play. But those games clearly showed what else is lacking especially in the Midfield.

So he comes out after we got Dembele that he wants more attacking and creative options. Our midfield in the first two games can keep possession much better but we are still lacking that one player in the Middle who can create chances.

We targeted Verratti first who would fit us like a glove and the perfect player that we need. one problem he plays for PSG and it turns out we never even made an offer for him and Emery even said Verratti was crazy about Barcelona.

So the board gets Valverde and Paulinho and they say he was the alternative to Verratti, but those two are different profiled players. Paulinho is a B2B Midfielder who sole job is to track back and help defending and push forward into the box to get into shooting positions.

At this point we still don't have a real Creative Midfielder, so we start chasing the likes of Coutinho. Who without a doubt would add a lot to this team in terms of creativity, however Liverpool held their stance that he wasn't for sale for any price.

And despite that we ended up chasing after him til the very end of the window and nearly panic buyed Di Maria in the process. and right now he still doesn't have a complete team that he needs in order for his vision to work properly.

He clearly doesn't rate Gomes,Arda etc but we are still stuck with them. One has to wonder if the Board,Robert,Segura were pushing their own ideas over what the team needs instead of properly listening to what Valverde needs.

Segura strikes me as a guy who likes players in the same profile as Paulinho. Strong, energetic who can run and provide muscle in the middle.

Robert strikes me as a guy who seems to have an idea what Valverde wants but at the sametime he buttfumbles as well.

The Board they strike me as they want Star players aka the likes of Coutinho,Di Maria or any well known name you can think of as a marketing tool.

To many damn cooks in the kitchen you can say and it clearly fucked Valverde and the rest of the team this window. Valverde now has use players that clearly don't fit his vision and trying to make it work.

serghei

He should promote from whithin. The rewards we could have if we give Alena time and he delivers fast are enormous. The risk is minimum here. Alena must absolutely be given time as often as possible this season.

Jurij

Our possible lineup now. By playing time and player possitions (Iniesta is not a starter IRL though):

vpvUUeE.png

Last edited:

Total-Football

he strikes me as a yes-man meek beta male. that s why the board never went for hard headed coaches. luis was only tough in his first season. even then he was tough with the journalists, that s it.

Gaudi

Spain just shows how system is important, that is what I want to see from Valverde, then we can talk about Coutinho, Verratti and so on...This is what I said when i wrote that Rakitic didn't change much, he was never fast or great dribbler, neither did Busi lost his mojo and even Andres can still create magic...in good system we are AT LEAST contanders....of course with another midfielder and so on we could be even better but that is not on Valverde but system IS!

michelco

Still need to find a permanent solution to Messi's position. Looked good when he played centrally in the front trio due to Suarez' injury but when Suarez is back will we see Messi back at RW (bad choice, leaves a huge defensive gap which every team now know to exploit) or will we see a 4-2-3-1 with Messi centrally in that '3'? I hope so.

JamDav1982

Our possible lineup now. By playing time and player possitions (Iniesta is not a starter IRL though):

vpvUUeE.png

Think would prefer Messi false nine and Suarez on the left.

As long as Suarez will do defensive work he could play it the way Villa or Pedro did in basically being a wide striker to make runs in behind.

Paulinho IF shows any quality could play quite advanced in midfield and be first press with potentially Busi/Iniesta bit deeper. Or Raki/Roberto.

Thats my tactical masterplan!

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
What is this guy supposed to do with such a shit squad?

Two good yet not world class GKs, only one defender for the future and the other two that are good enough are getting old, a bunch of trees standing still in midfield and Messi up front carrying everyone on his back...

Poor guy...

xXKonan

This is the season where we will probably see Valverde rely on the likes of Alena more often than not.

The B team has some players who are worth taking a risk on and giving them minutes compared to some of the dross we have in the middle.

Cool

It took few games for him to realize that Messi as RW does not work while it took Lucho two seasons.

Loving that we have a manager who knows a thing or two about tactics.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Very promising start to the season. I am really impressed in how Messi and the whole team have reacted to eveything thats happened. The GOAT looks to be on a mission and the whole team looks energized and focused. perhaps Neymars departure might have made Valverde'd job a little easier. Of course Real Madrid's recent troubles are helping things.

Home of Barca Fans