Ernesto Valverde - V1

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
not sure if Puyol has finished his 1st team coaching license or not but then again he has no experience whatsoever and was a close teammate to some of our players

Remember Puyi saying that he was not interested in coaching - which is the reason why he got into scouting and player manager business

George_Costanza

Oscar Garcia Junyent is another name available who had mixed success but play more progressive Cruyffian football with an emphasis on fluidity and creative freedom in the final third.

raki

I´ve had enough with Valverde.
This team has no tactics except Messi>Alba>cross + messi freeckicks+ messi alone....

Rather have Pimienta, Sétien.
Anyone with a scheme. A strategy. An idea.

vlad

Zidane and Conte.

i tought zidane was luck merchant, now suddendly he is big name

edit: real didnt played great under him, season started in spring for them, when they were out from la liga and CDR, they showed up for k.o. matches in CL, and still didnt played there great either, but they had weapons for such competition, set pieces, headers, counters, and muscle if needed, barca doesnt have nothing from that, so if in some paralel universe zidane is gonna coach barca with this players, i dont see him doing that great.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

The only coach I can think of right now that was a long-term Barca player who could get a lot of respect from the team within like Lucho and Pep would likely be Phillip Cocu and he knows how to utilize the 4-3-3 going by his PSV stint.

But while he did well at PSV, his Fenerbahçe reign so far has been a disaster and I'm not sure his work can transition well to a team like ours. There's also Koeman but I'm not a fan of his work at all especially at Everton which led him to get sacked.

From how I remember Cocu as a player, he was a normal/nice guy.
A hardworker, versatile player who could fill any position and won't whine or cause problems.
Some kind of a mix between Rakitic and Sergi Roberto.
He was also a captain...

But, in terms of coaching and personal traits, I see him closer to Valverde's type of a person than to Zidane's/Pep's or even Lucho's.

Nobody knows him that well, but he doesn't look like a guy who would bench/sell Suarez, Pique, Rakitic, Busquets and similar.
Maybe he would sell the easiest option: Rakitic, but I don't see Cocu as some revolutionary guy.

On the other hand, if you want something crazy, and someone who will yell at players, then Mark Van Bommel sounds like a better option.
But he was here only for 1 season (2006' CL's winning season).

For me, Cocu looks (as a person) as a too nice guy.
While Van Bommel is a crazy leader, a commander, you can't fuck with him on or off the field.
On the other hand, I haven't followed Van Bommel's work as a coach that much (Psv), so I don't know how good he is.
But, imo, as a person, and if you want to turn the page and bench Pique, Suarez, and other grannies, it is way more likely that someone like Van Bommel would do that.

Here are 3 videos of Cocu and Van Bommel, and imo, you can see by their body language, gestures, celebrations after goals, fighting with other players and referees, look in their eye, who would have more "balls" to shake things up in a club like Barca:

Last edited:

Raketa10

3 goalkeepers included but Malcom out of the squad?!?! The player we have signed for 41 mil!!!!! THE WORST MANAGER OF ALL TIME STRIKES AGAIN! I wonder if any reporter will ask anything about that ludicrous decision?

khaled_a_d

The only coach I can think of right now that was a long-term Barca player who could get a lot of respect from the team within like Lucho and Pep would likely be Phillip Cocu and he knows how to utilize the 4-3-3 going by his PSV stint.

But while he did well at PSV, his Fenerbahçe reign so far has been a disaster and I'm not sure his work can transition well to a team like ours. There's also Koeman but I'm not a fan of his work at all especially at Everton which led him to get sacked.

Koeman is coaching Dutch NT
And Koeman/Cocu/De Boer makes me skeptical about getting Dutch coach.
I mean Koeman was the guy destained to coach Barcelona, it wasn't a question of If but when.
Laporta promised to get him to coach us but he declined because we were in chaos and decided to stay with Ajax, but he stayed too long and with Rijkaard continuing for some time with he had to find a new club and from there it was a cycle of medicrity, showing he was never good enough to lead a big club
De Boer looked the next big coach, leading Ajax to four league titles after 6 years of no league trophies and then what was his career? again proving he isn't good enough to lead big club
Cocu is the new example and once he left for a new challenge things go south.
I mean last 8 league titles was won by former Barca players. But there is a reason they aren't considered.
Van Bommel and Gio are making name for themselves too, but until they prove they can do it abroad or with NT I won't even bother.

Remember Puyi saying that he was not interested in coaching - which is the reason why he got into scouting and player manager business

I was kind of ruling him out, considering he might get mentioned since he is the only Barca legend available
And IIRC he left the agency he was working at and got his license in coaching youth teams along Xavi and VV

khaled_a_d

3 goalkeepers included but Malcom out of the squad?!?! The player we have signed for 41 mil!!!!! THE WORST MANAGER OF ALL TIME STRIKES AGAIN! I wonder if any reporter will ask anything about that ludicrous decision?

What is ludicrous in that decision? We do this a lot of times in away game, take an extra 3rd GK in case an injury happened we don't put 1 in the squad.
I mean it is 20 man squad, only 18 will make and likely Miranda and Inaki will be excluded

George_Costanza

What is ludicrous in that decision? We do this a lot of times in away game, take an extra 3rd GK in case an injury happened we don't put 1 in the squad.
I mean it is 20 man squad, only 18 will make and likely Miranda and Inaki will be excluded

How many times did we use the 3rd GK in the last 20 years?

Home of Barca Fans